• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now you people understand why its tough to field a good D in the Big 12

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Cherry picking? I said the A&M rushing defense is terrible. I simply backed it up with yards per rush and rushing yards allowed. I believe most of the suspensions affected the secondary. 2 of the front 7 were suspended. It is also vs vastly inferior competition (2 of 3 games). The starters did return vs Bama. Same Bama that rushed for 2.5 yds per vs VT and 3.3 yards per play. Bama had 206 total yds in their first game and 568 in their second game. Rushing average per play jumped from 2.5 to 6.3 and yards per play went from 3.3 to 8.6. VT should be a top 10 defense, but it is a stark difference. Also the first time in quite awhile that A&M has produced a bad rushing defense. That does not bode well in a run happy SEC.

As I said, we are talking about 2 or 3 games here. Let's check back at the end of the season. Heaven forbid a defense looks lousy against the run when 1/3 of them are freshmen and then first game back going against the reigning champs and #1 team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way, one reason I use yards per play is to account for tempo. Think of it this way:

Team A: gives up 3 yds per play. Runs a hurry up offense that averages 80+ plays a game
Team: B: gives up 3 yds per play. Is Bama and runs 60 plays per game and loves to run the ball

Team is going to see a lot more plays and drives than Team B. Assume it is an extra 15 plays a game. Taht 45 yds per game is going to put them much farther down the total defense rankings. Pair Alabama's recent defenses with Oregon's offenses and no way do they finish #1 in defense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, we are 3 games in. Some of the teams talked about here have played only 2 games. Let's see how it all stacks up at the end of the season. A&M defense has sucked the big one so far, I'm not disputing that. But you are cherry picking one stat and beating that drum to no end. Rush per attempt? Give me a break.

How about taking more into account like time of possession. A&M is one of the lowest, but has one of the highest scoring offenses. Hmm, how could low TOP coupled with high scoring offense ever lead to worsened defensive numbers, especially factoring in that 2 of the games for A&m were stocked with freshmen and then when the starters returned it was against the #1 team in the nation :think:
-
Now you are cherry picking. Texas is horrible after 3 games, but A&M should be given the benefit of the doubt. Should you not hold every team to the same standard?

jerry333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is still getting the new assist coaches lined out & it is an ongoing process. When good teams like Texas & Okla past, lose their good assist coaches every year, then the slide begins, then the road back up is a hit & miss till the right coaches are in the right places ,then you see the resurge back to the top 10. Texas has lost or fired most of their assist coaches in the last two years & still not back to square one,,, but the game is going to get better before the season is over. OU is not there yet, but is way ahead of Texas. Baylor is the upcoming team in the big 12 after being the doormat for years. When the assist coaches go, so does a lot of GOOD recruiting of 4 -5 star players drop off. Head coaches do only a little of the actual recruiting, that is done by assist coaches. Now you understand why Texas is still struggling to get some good assist coaches to motivate the good players they now have!!! It will get better!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way, one reason I use yards per play is to account for tempo. Think of it this way:

Team A: gives up 3 yds per play. Runs a hurry up offense that averages 80+ plays a game
Team: B: gives up 3 yds per play. Is Bama and runs 60 plays per game and loves to run the ball

Team is going to see a lot more plays and drives than Team B. Assume it is an extra 15 plays a game. Taht 45 yds per game is going to put them much farther down the total defense rankings. Pair Alabama's recent defenses with Oregon's offenses and no way do they finish #1 in defense.

I have eyes and I see those other teams not score or have receivers running wide open or running backs with space like other teams/conferences so if you want to try and tell us another team has a better defense because of that good luck! :noidea:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have eyes and I see those other teams not score or have receivers running wide open or running backs with space like other teams/conferences so if you want to try and tell us another team has a better defense because of that good luck! :noidea:
-
WHat? That was not saying was not the best defense, simply that stats can be misleading. Simply stating that if Bama defense was behind a hurry up offense their total defense standings would be hurt. You are a tad bit over-sensitive.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Now you are cherry picking. Texas is horrible after 3 games, but A&M should be given the benefit of the doubt. Should you not hold every team to the same standard?

Did I not give you reasons why A&M's defense going forward won't be the same as the first two games?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I not give you reasons why A&M's defense going forward won't be the same as the first two games?
-
You gave me hope. Not much tangible. First game with the full unit and it was torched. Missing 1-2 of yoru front 7 vs a FCS team is hardly a valid excuse. I can counter starters replaced and new DC, but I wont. Numbers are the numbers and both are defenses collectively suck. It can change, but it is hard to expect positive changes as competition escalates.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If it's all so over-rated, then how come the best the rest of college football has to offer hasn't beat these obviously ESPN propped up teams?

Could have something to do with the fact that most of these games you speak of are either the first game of the season or in a bowl game, both give either all off season or 5 weeks to prepare for. Lets have these games in the middle of the season when both team are in full form.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have something to do with the fact that most of these games you speak of are either the first game of the season or in a bowl game, both give either all off season or 5 weeks to prepare for. Lets have these games in the middle of the season when both team are in full form.

Don't both teams get the same amount of time for preparation?