• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Not Saying the Colts are Tanking the Season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trading for Peyton Manning complete offsets everything we gained from trading Palmer. And then some. Silliness aside it would never happen in this lifetime.

Yes, it does.

That complaint only makes sense if you think Carson = Peyton. Or if you think it's anything close.

THAT's silliness.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it does.

That complaint only makes sense if you think Carson = Peyton. Or if you think it's anything close.

THAT's silliness.

I didn't say Carson = Peyton (laughable). But we wouldn't be getting the Peyton who's an all-time great QB, but an aging QB coming off major neck surgery and may never be the same again. Giving up all the future draft picks we can use to build this team long term chasing a pipe dream is foolish.

Instead of continuing with youth and adding more key pieces to go with AJ Green, Dalton, and so on, we'd be mortgaging the farm for a 2 year window with no guarantee of winning a SB. We'd be right back where we started. THAT's what's silly.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats going on good people? I've got the Bengal's by 10 Sun..how about you'inz?
icon15.gif

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't say Carson = Peyton (laughable). But we wouldn't be getting the Peyton who's an all-time great QB, but an aging QB coming off major neck surgery and may never be the same again. Giving up all the future draft picks we can use to build this team long term chasing a pipe dream is foolish.

Instead of continuing with youth and adding more key pieces to go with AJ Green, Dalton, and so on, we'd be mortgaging the farm for a 2 year window with no guarantee of winning a SB. We'd be right back where we started. THAT's what's silly.

Foolish is your assumption we'd be trading all that for a washed up Peyton. Go back and read and you'll see I said he'd be playing one more year in Indianapolis. If he isn't the same, DUH we wouldn't trade for him. This is based off the assumption that he is still the same Peyton Manning. Btw, this isn't the first time in his career he's had neck issues (iirc he's gotten minor surgery in the past as well, and it hasn't effected his game).

There's never ever a guarantee to win a SB. But you do what gives you the BEST chance of winning a SB. And this does that while still allowing us to have a competitive team - no less than it is now - 2-3 years down the road.

2 mid-late first round picks and 1 mid-late 2nd round pick is not going to make or break the team.

Edit: Btw, learn to read, I never said you said Carson = Peyton.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it could break the team. Plus we lose FA's because we have to pay Peyton that salary. You never responded to the list of FA's we have coming up in the next few years and those are just the big names I can think of off the top of my head. And what happens when we lose Dalton and have to go QB hunting after Manning retires? We finally hit a good looking one after 20 years and you want to get rid of him?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are FA coming up every year. You keep who wants to stay and who you want to keep, and you replace the others.

And, you ask Peyton to restructure his deal. It also helps that the Bengals are $17 million (last I heard) below the cap. Eventually, all that money is going to have to be used up anyways.

No reason we have to lose Dalton. By mid-year next season there's no reason for him not to be extended for another 4-6 years, minimum. He's looked very good so far, that'll be more than enough time to guage if he truly is a keeper or not.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't going to extend here if you bring Manning in. Not gonna happen. No QB is gonna play good his whole rookie year, then be asked to sit for 2-3 years and wait till we need him again. He won't do it. And no we won't be able to keep the ones we want because we won't have any money. Dunlap, Atkins, Whit among others are gonna take some big bucks. Even being 17 mil under the cap add in Mannings at least 15 mil a year plus each of the 3 guys I mentioned are making less than 2 mil and each will be making at least 4-5 mil if not more when resigned. We won't be able to afford them or anyone. This is a terrible terrible trade idea.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the direction that we're going with Dalton and the picks. Also, I hope Manning retires a colt. Seeing him in a Bengals uni would be the equivalent of Jordan playing his last years with the Wizards.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Learn to read. I've repeated the below several times now.

1) I said Dalton would be extended no later than mid-season 2012. Peyton would come in 2013.

2) Peyton would be requested as a contigency to a trade that he take a paycut. And this isn't far-fetched considering any team he'd be traded to, he'd have to give his approval. So, if he's happy being traded to a team, he'd likely have no problem taking a pay cut for them as well.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What don't you understand about the fact he took a pay cut to stay with the Colts, that 19 mil is his pay cut. I doubt he would take much less than that for a team that isn't the Colts. And I highly doubt Dalton is extended next year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to discuss it as a Maddenesque alternative universe fantasy, but Manning will not play here.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to discuss it as a Maddenesque alternative universe fantasy, but Manning will not play here.

Don't try and talk like you want to make any sense. That doesn't go over on this board!!!

:tongue:

Restore the Roar

Hopeless Addict
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gives us the best chance over that 2-3 year span than we'll probably ever have in our lifetimes. I'd absolutely do it. Without blinking. He's never played with this good of a defense nor this good of an offense/scheme. We probably wouldn't lose a game.

It'll make us a little worse 4-5 years down the road not having those 3-4 picks, but not enough to not take the chance. We'd still have a solid team when he's gone.

Really???????

Can we wait and see Dalton play against the Steelers and ravens before we deem him capable of leading the team to the SB.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm of the opinion that Gruden will quickly cement himself as a top 5 OC. I've never seen a brand new OC be raved about so much so early on.

Btw, that post you quoted had little to do with Dalton. Moreso the overall make-up and the scheme in general.

In the last couple years, the only offenses that comes to my mind where I can recall receivers getting as open as they do and often as they do and as consistently as they do are the Patriots, Eagles, and Saints. It's not as consistent as those teams yet, but our receivers are getting open and open often.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Bengal Nation,you guy's ready to kick some SeaDuck ass!! WHO DEY BABY!!!!!
bengals.gif

Restore the Roar

Hopeless Addict
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the opinion that Gruden will quickly cement himself as a top 5 OC. I've never seen a brand new OC be raved about so much so early on.

Btw, that post you quoted had little to do with Dalton. Moreso the overall make-up and the scheme in general.

In the last couple years, the only offenses that comes to my mind where I can recall receivers getting as open as they do and often as they do and as consistently as they do are the Patriots, Eagles, and Saints. It's not as consistent as those teams yet, but our receivers are getting open and open often.

The Dalton comment wasn't directed at you, but this whole thread. I only quoted you because I can't believe you just said Peyton has never played in an offense/scheme as good as this. After 6 games against shit teams it's highly encouraging but WAY to early to say something like that. Unless your just trying to stir up a hornests nest, but you would never do that.....

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Dalton comment wasn't directed at you, but this whole thread. I only quoted you because I can't believe you just said Peyton has never played in an offense/scheme as good as this. After 6 games against shit teams it's highly encouraging but WAY to early to say something like that. Unless your just trying to stir up a hornests nest, but you would never do that.....

The Colts' offenses have been a product of Manning. There's nothing special or intriguing about what they've done over there. Manning is just so deadly accurate, it works. I feel the same way about Green Bay's offense currently with Rodgers. It's a great offense because Rodgers has that same deadly accuracy, but when I watch it, I see nothing special. A QB shouldn't have to squeeze that many passes into that tight of windows so often, especially with the weapons they have. I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL @ our run run pass offense being better than Green Bay or Indy. That's the most laughable statement I've ever heard...well other than trading a boatload of draft picks for Manning in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.