• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Stuff

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea definitely. MLB will want to keep that team out West for geographic purposes imo so that would rule out Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville, etc.
But yeah I have always thought Vegas is the leader in the clubhouse but would hope for Portland.
I may be in the minority but I don’t think the MLB in Vegas is a good idea. Just a gut feeling. And I am not a fan of expansion, just like I really am not a fan of expansion. But if the MLBPA gets some of the things they want (such as a salary floor), the A’s will be moving and so will the Rays to either Charlotte or Montreal.

Portland I think would be a solid place, but I don’t know politically how it is viable. Owners in pro sports don’t want owners to be on the hook for all of the money for their stadiums/arenas, and I can’t see Portland politicians voting for public funds.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be in the minority but I don’t think the MLB in Vegas is a good idea. Just a gut feeling. And I am not a fan of expansion, just like I really am not a fan of expansion. But if the MLBPA gets some of the things they want (such as a salary floor), the A’s will be moving and so will the Rays to either Charlotte or Montreal.

Portland I think would be a solid place, but I don’t know politically how it is viable. Owners in pro sports don’t want owners to be on the hook for all of the money for their stadiums/arenas, and I can’t see Portland politicians voting for public funds.
I agree with everything you said here.

I don't know what it is but I've never really thought as Vegas a place for pro sports teams. I could be biased but I've always just thought of Vegas as a weekend town where a majority of those who live there working in lower paying service jobs that don't exactly have the amount of discretionary income to afford realistically attending many pro-sports games. I just see Vegas as a tourist trap and nothing more.

I also agree on Portland. These days in more liberal cities, the days of subsidies for stadium/arena construction is done. Portland would need a very wealthy ownership group who is willing to foot the cost of a stadium.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another ex-M getting a new gig

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said here.

I don't know what it is but I've never really thought as Vegas a place for pro sports teams. I could be biased but I've always just thought of Vegas as a weekend town where a majority of those who live there working in lower paying service jobs that don't exactly have the amount of discretionary income to afford realistically attending many pro-sports games. I just see Vegas as a tourist trap and nothing more.

I also agree on Portland. These days in more liberal cities, the days of subsidies for stadium/arena construction is done. Portland would need a very wealthy ownership group who is willing to foot the cost of a stadium.
Vegas for sure is a tourist town, but IMO they have got their pro sports team in the Knights. They obviously will have to build an Arizona style indoor stadium for baseball but difference between Phoenix and Vegas, is all of the cool stuff that attracts someone to Chase Field or whatever it is called now, you have at the hotels. Hockey nor the NFL are exactly designated for families, baseball is.

I only know the Portland situation from afar obviously, but sounds like the would be ownership group has two pieces of land that they could possibly build on, which is cool. But that is a baby step in the process, as we know from the Sonics. Canzono was on KJR and said Manfred wanted to visit Portland last summer but couldn’t because it is what it is. That isn’t going to go away, and there political climate is worse than Seattle when Hansen and Ballmer technically bought the Kings, had more than enough land already paid for and the city torpedoed the deal. The Mariners caught shit for them asking the King County voters to pay for the upgrades to TMobile, but that is how pro sports ownerships are set up. Leagues designed their leagues to be the Mariners, not like how Jerry Jones went rouge and pissed off NFL owners.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one can convince me trading him for a non ace starting pitcher was a good move.
I dislike it because they traded him for someone who didn't help them at all that season when the Mariners were actually in a playoff race. To be fair Gonzales has performed better than I ever thought he would. But yeah that trade still annoys me.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dislike it because they traded him for someone who didn't help them at all that season when the Mariners were actually in a playoff race. To be fair Gonzales has performed better than I ever thought he would. But yeah that trade still annoys me.
To me, it was just dumb and IMO proved Jerry should not be a General Manager On paper it makes sense wanting a broken down former top prospect who is on the mend, want those low risk high reward guys. But you don’t trade your top position prospect for that guy. You trade prospects for proven players. Baseball doesn’t have that firm trade chart the NFL does but it is very similar.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas for sure is a tourist town, but IMO they have got their pro sports team in the Knights. They obviously will have to build an Arizona style indoor stadium for baseball but difference between Phoenix and Vegas, is all of the cool stuff that attracts someone to Chase Field or whatever it is called now, you have at the hotels. Hockey nor the NFL are exactly designated for families, baseball is.

I only know the Portland situation from afar obviously, but sounds like the would be ownership group has two pieces of land that they could possibly build on, which is cool. But that is a baby step in the process, as we know from the Sonics. Canzono was on KJR and said Manfred wanted to visit Portland last summer but couldn’t because it is what it is. That isn’t going to go away, and there political climate is worse than Seattle when Hansen and Ballmer technically bought the Kings, had more than enough land already paid for and the city torpedoed the deal. The Mariners caught shit for them asking the King County voters to pay for the upgrades to TMobile, but that is how pro sports ownerships are set up. Leagues designed their leagues to be the Mariners, not like how Jerry Jones went rouge and pissed off NFL owners.
Not completely related to our overall conversation but I went to a game at Chase Field and sat in the club level and was honestly not all that impressed with that stadium aside from the fact that I thought it was super neat that I went from 100+ degrees outside to cool inside a stadium that size. Idk how to put it but the stadium felt very dated for something built in 1998. Obviously I don't follow the D'Backs very closely but I feel that they haven't really invested much in that stadium.

I agree with you on Portland and it's a shame. It's honestly unfathomable to me that their political situation is somehow worse than Seattle's and as I probably said in my other posts, right now the city is still all boarded up. I think in the end Portland getting a team will be dependent on having an ownership group pay for the entire cost of the stadium. I don't know anything about loans of the size required to build a MLB stadium - and I could be completely getting out of my depth here - but if an ownership group took out a loan to cover the costs of the stadium, it's a very favorable environment for that right now with the fed keeping rates low. Construction costs are a completely different story right now though...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not completely related to our overall conversation but I went to a game at Chase Field and sat in the club level and was honestly not all that impressed with that stadium aside from the fact that I thought it was super neat that I went from 100+ degrees outside to cool inside a stadium that size. Idk how to put it but the stadium felt very dated for something built in 1998. Obviously I don't follow the D'Backs very closely but I feel that they haven't really invested much in that stadium.

I agree with you on Portland and it's a shame. It's honestly unfathomable to me that their political situation is somehow worse than Seattle's and as I probably said in my other posts, right now the city is still all boarded up. I think in the end Portland getting a team will be dependent on having an ownership group pay for the entire cost of the stadium. I don't know anything about loans of the size required to build a MLB stadium - and I could be completely getting out of my depth here - but if an ownership group took out a loan to cover the costs of the stadium, it's a very favorable environment for that right now with the fed keeping rates low. Construction costs are a completely different story right now though...
I’ve only gone to Chase once and it was with my family so I didn’t get to explore. To me it just seemed cool compared to Phoenix. Like an experience even if the baseball is bad. So I could be wrong about the overall stadium but that is why I made the comparison to Vegas because I can’t see how they can possibly make the novelty/experience inside the stadium better than the outside. But I don’t know, that town loves them their Knights so maybe the local population will be able to support the Knights and a baseball team. I really think the Raiders are going to be relying on people flying in for the weekend.

Ya, building stadiums is way out of my depth, I just listen to “experts”. Smaller point which is just superstition but Russell Wilson paid into the group trying to bring baseball to Portland, but he also bought into Hansen’s group trying to bring the Sonics back in Sodo and that turned out to be a waste of money outside stock in land. Obviously whoever is in charge of the group are smart people so they see money to justify spending over a billion dollars for everything. Just seems like the Moda Center is still rock solid for events other than the Blazers, the Mariners (and the voters) lucked out that the Key Arena blew balls for concerts and bigger events so they went to T Mobile, the Tacoma Dome or whatever the Everett arena is called now instead.

So ya, no idea but I always figured the biggest hurdle would be the Mariners trying to block Portland because technically that is a Mariners market but after that guy came on the radio and talked about how they were either too embarrassed to bring Manfred out or he wouldn’t go it just made me think that there might be another big hurdle that doesn’t appear will be going away anytime soon.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, I was actually watching this game a little around the 5th and 6th and had absolutely no idea there was a no hitter happening. Just another reason I think it's so dumb how announcers buy into the non existent superstition. Definitely would have kept watching.