• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No team has ever won 3 Super Bowls in a row. What if the Chiefs do it?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean for Mahomes legacy and the GOAT argument we are watching him make over his career? What does that say for Andy Reid?

For both I think it makes a case for them to be in conversations of best ever but it does not push them to GOAT status. Andy Reid would for sure be in the top 5 HC conversation to end his career with 3 straight Super Bowl wins.

Now if they win 4 in a row when no other team has won 3 in a row? Then it gets interesting.

Then even if Mahomes only wins 1 other title late in his career he would have stake at the GOAT title having won 4 in a row early in his career.

Reid with 4 straight titles added onto already his lengthy resume then enters a debate with BB as the GOAT HC, especially if BB remains in the league and AFC during this 4 year run.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know I guess we will find out if that happens

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean for Mahomes legacy and the GOAT argument we are watching him make over his career? What does that say for Andy Reid?

For both I think it makes a case for them to be in conversations of best ever but it does not push them to GOAT status. Andy Reid would for sure be in the top 5 HC conversation to end his career with 3 straight Super Bowl wins.

Now if they win 4 in a row when no other team has won 3 in a row? Then it gets interesting.

Then even if Mahomes only wins 1 other title late in his career he would have stake at the GOAT title having won 4 in a row early in his career.

Reid with 4 straight titles added onto already his lengthy resume then enters a debate with BB as the GOAT HC, especially if BB remains in the league and AFC during this 4 year run.

Super premature thread is still really super premature

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chiefs do it, then they will be the 1st to do it.

Doesnt the question answer itself? :noidea:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is spicy. I like it.

If Mahomes/Reid get a three-peat, they are going to have a dynasty by most any definition of the term which will have a lot of storytelling value no matter what. The Chiefs will have had about a full decade of winning records and only one non-playoff team under an Alex Smith led team in 2014. But nonetheless, Mahomes will likely garner most of the credit I'd imagine.

Andy Reid, I am guessing would probably need 11 wins each year to reliably win the AFC West. To threepeat you'd need a bye so 12 wins is a good guess for what their avg record would be.

Reid would also, in that scenario have about a .700 winning percentage with the Chiefs over a near 10 year span in all likelihood; well over .600 overall. With ~30 more wins ,including playoffs, Reid would enter the top 5 in all time wins for HC's.

The coaches ahead of him? (Plus Paul Brown for accounting purposes)

Shula 328
Halas 318
Belichick 273
Curly Lambeau 226

*Paul Brown* 213

Andy Reid 207

For Reid to have a semi-competitive GOAT argument, he'd pretty much have a dynasty start right now of at least 3 rings and a final total of at least 4 rings over the next 10 years (With at least 11 wins a year to be in real shouting distance of Shula/Halas if not outright pass them) before he retires/dies AND Belichick, or at least the Patriots, are just going to have a suck a whole lot for about that same time period.

In any case though, with 3 rings Reid is likely an inner circle HOF coach when he is done.

While... technically not zero because Mahomes is an android and the team is very young relatively at important positions, it's like .00001% chance of all of that happening. Reid could end up being considered a top 3 coach of all time and the Hooded one would have such a gaudy resume few would by crazy enough to make the comparison in earnest.

Mahomes might only need 3 more rings and a somewhat healthy career at a similar level of play over the next 12-15 years for a lot of people to consider him the GOAT. It'd be a rehashing of the Peyton/Rodgers/Lebron arguments, but with more hardware to show for it.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is hard to repeat. Let's table this discussion till sometime next year

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Buffalo Bills went to four straight Super Bowls back in the 90's.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sure this was going to be a Brees1 post

BIGBLUE 49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad you mentioned this about the CHIEFS. If you remember the putrid game that the RAMS put up against the PATS....then if not for DEE FORD lining up off-sides....the CHIEFS would now already have two(2) in a row and would be going for the three-peat this year......when they repeat.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too bad the Chiefs got hosed in 2018 or we would probably be at 2 right now