• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Tanaka?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does it work with Jimenez being given a qualifying offer meaning we would have to give up a first rounder. But theres a rule that if its in the top 10 we keep it... so we give up our second pick, which we already gave for cano.

would we give our third round pick?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does it work with Jimenez being given a qualifying offer meaning we would have to give up a first rounder. But theres a rule that if its in the top 10 we keep it... so we give up our second pick, which we already gave for cano.

would we give our third round pick?

Yes, I believe that is the case. Of course we could get the 1st round pick back if Morales signs elsewhere.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will not lose a first rounder no matter what as it is protected. but we could get an extra if morales signs elsewhere which is looking more and more likely that it is not going to happen unless someone gets desperate

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will not lose a first rounder no matter what as it is protected. but we could get an extra if morales signs elsewhere which is looking more and more likely that it is not going to happen unless someone gets desperate

Ya, my bad. I was in a hurry. I meant we lose the 2nd rounder for Cano and would then lose a 3rd rounder for the next one. We would get back a 2nd rounder if someone signed Morales.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not been following the Tanaka thing too much but even if he was posted I don't think it would make sense to go for him.

Some of the numbers I was hearing for the contract he would likely receive are insane. No way I would want to give a player who has never thrown a pitch in MLB $100m+

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just read on MLBTR that the Mariners are "nearing their payroll limit"

So I find it highly unlikely the Mariners would even put up the $20m to negotiate since there is no way he could fit into our payroll situation.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just read on MLBTR that the Mariners are "nearing their payroll limit"

So I find it highly unlikely the Mariners would even put up the $20m to negotiate since there is no way he could fit into our payroll situation.

Oh jeez so the 4 knee injuries are supposed to protect Cano.??? So typical mariners,

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Per M's writer:

Initially, the Mariners had the No. 6 choice in the first round (which is protected as a Top 10 pick, as you note) and were scheduled to receive the first compensation pick (31st overall) if Morales signed elsewhere. However, because they now must forfeit their highest non-protected pick because of signing Cano, they will lose the No. 31 compensation pick if Morales signs with another team. If he doesn't sign elsewhere prior to the June Draft, they'll give up their second-round pick (which is currently 46th overall).