• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No deadline set for Coyotes new franchise

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why, is the mayor trying to steal them from the owner?

Two reasons:

1. It's not going to last anyway. The team will eventually move. Most of the hockey fans in the market are transplants from other cities, and Phoenix has a kind of rotating population not conducive to building a new fan base, in addition to being in a region where there are few rinks and no cold weather for the kids to get interested in the sport.

2. If they stay, I'm going to go to games, and my wallet can't handle that. :D

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our favourite Glendale councilwoman is having fun again on Twitter:

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

June 27th
I have blocked all Canadians. No one should have to take their abuse. Block...Block...Block

June 29th
A correction on my Canadian block. It refers to French Canadians not West Canada. I will not take abuse from foul mouthed people.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Our favourite Glendale councilwoman is having fun again on Twitter:

Joyce Clark@clarkjv

June 27th
I have blocked all Canadians. No one should have to take their abuse. Block...Block...Block

June 29th
A correction on my Canadian block. It refers to French Canadians not West Canada. I will not take abuse from foul mouthed people.

so we can curse at the dumb bitch all we want, as long as it's in English?
gotcha.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Candidates for Glendale City Council want delay in Coyotes deal with Jamison...Check out the letter:

To: Elaine M. Scruggs, Mayor
Horatio Skeete, City Manager

As Glendale citizens and candidates running for city offices, we respectfully requested our city manager and present council to delay signing the Jobing.com Arena lease with a Coyotes owner.

We are concerned there may not be ample funds to pay everything the lease promises.

We also believe Glendale should take this position before Greg Jamison buys the team. The city should be able to do this now without having legal problems or penalties.

Signed by:
Mayoral candidate Walt Opaska
Mayoral candidate Jerry Weiers
Cactus District candidate Ian Hugh
Cactus District candidate Vince Ornelas
Cactus District candidate Stew Radawec
Sahuaro District candidate Diane Douglas
Sahuaro District candidate Anthony Kern

Glendale council candidates call for delay in signing Phoenix Coyotes deal

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coyotes supporters allegedly getting unruly (maybe our in-house scientist/intrepid man on the scene Darkstone can give us an update):

Gangs of crude Coyotes hockey fans tried again to intimidate Ken Jones and Joe Cobb who were gathering referendum signatures at Main Library in Glendale Sunday, July 1st. The police came out and told the hockey supporters to stay at a distance on the opposite side of the walkway. Jones and Cobb stated they will not allow the gang of heavyweight bullies to scare them away. They plan to remain getting signatures at both libraries every afternoon until July 15th. Funds have already been cut from libraries, parks and swimming pools, police and fire departments. The city council threatens to cut more money from every item except funding to the Coyotes owners.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coyotes supporters allegedly getting unruly (maybe our in-house scientist/intrepid man on the scene Darkstone can give us an update):

Gangs of crude Coyotes hockey fans tried again to intimidate Ken Jones and Joe Cobb who were gathering referendum signatures at Main Library in Glendale Sunday, July 1st. The police came out and told the hockey supporters to stay at a distance on the opposite side of the walkway. Jones and Cobb stated they will not allow the gang of heavyweight bullies to scare them away. They plan to remain getting signatures at both libraries every afternoon until July 15th. Funds have already been cut from libraries, parks and swimming pools, police and fire departments. The city council threatens to cut more money from every item except funding to the Coyotes owners.

I live in Tucson. From what I can tell, no one actually leaves his or her house here...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Tucson. From what I can tell, no one actually leaves his or her house here...

lol - Sounds like Les Nessman and his Eye-Witness weather reports:

"I look out the window and witness the weather"

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has it been 30 days yet? Geez...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - Sounds like Les Nessman and his Eye-Witness weather reports:

"I look out the window and witness the weather"

Now I wish I had ended my last post with "Back to you, dash!"

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THAT IS FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE!!! Rather than put tax payer money to good use, the mayor seems to just enjoy throwing it into a bottomless pit.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could you forget the Colts?

Doesn't count. They moved for a legit reason.

THAT IS FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE!!! Rather than put tax payer money to good use, the mayor seems to just enjoy throwing it into a bottomless pit.

That pisses me off too. I will quietly and gladly fork over taxes, provided I can see what it's being spent on. I will even not say a word about them going to programs that don't benefit me directly, but are for the betterment of the area.

I'd go friggin BALLISTIC is this was my town.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Glendale taxpayers threaten to torpedo Coyotes sale - The Globe and Mail

Once again, threats to the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes are mounting, which means the NHL is facing some unappetizing choices over the future of the franchise.

A petition to overturn a city sales-tax increase was delivered to suburban Glendale city officials Thursday. It could torpedo Greg Jamison’s proposed purchase of the Coyotes from the league.

*sigh*. nuke it from orbit. it's the only way to be sure.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taken from puck's link:

However, acting city manager Horatio Skeete told the Arizona Republic earlier this week Glendale may not be able to afford the annual management fees owed to Jamison, which come to $94-million in the first five years of the lease

Man, that's a great name...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this actually goes to a public vote, the Coyotes are done like dinner. When is the last time a voting public okayed a tax increase?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
If this actually goes to a public vote, the Coyotes are done like dinner. When is the last time a voting public okayed a tax increase?

i still can't understand how these Glendale councilor morons can look at a(nother) deal where THEY PAY a tenant $100 million dollars and think "yeah, that makes sense for us".