• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. New York Mets

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK thinks that Utley is the first player in history to slide that way lol. If Tejada does not do a mid-air spin then he most likely doesn't break his leg, or if Murphy feeds him the ball that wasn't putting him in a horrible position, that DP was not possible based on Murphy's feed.

And if Utley doesn't leave the basepath and go directly for Tejada none of this fine discussion would be happening.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been this pissed about a horrible call since Armando Gallaraga tucked his dick between his legs legs and didn't get spittle all over Jim Joyce's face.

(I got no Ill will towards Joyce. But I loathe Armando. For the same reason I'm done with Terry Collins.)

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK thinks that Utley is the first player in history to slide that way lol. If Tejada does not do a mid-air spin then he most likely doesn't break his leg, or if Murphy feeds him the ball that wasn't putting him in a horrible position, that DP was not possible based on Murphy's feed.

Reading the rule, it seems that that one of the things in order to meet the criteria is that the umpire believes that was the player's (in this case, Utley's) intent (which implies belief) to break up a double play. The actual pragmatics of it are actually irrelevant, technically. Or maybe I am crazy for using that interpretation.

MLB Rule 6.01(a)(6)

"If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner"

Intent

adjective

1. 1.
    resolved or determined to do (something).

Again, intent implies belief. It doesn't say a Double play must have been prevented, it says intent to break up a double play.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not defending the vicinity play, nor the slide. Just trying to have some video of the play. Utley should have been out. The runner at first should be out. End of the inning. Terrible play. Terrible call by the replay officials.
Yes.

Yes.

And fucking hell yes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every baseball player in the world would kick the shit out of Utley if he did that to his teammate.

That over rated fuck slid late. (His prime was short and he better not get HOF consideration. )

His career will end because of it if the Mets have any balls.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Yes.

And fucking hell yes.
100% agree. I'm not a Mets fan, just watching a game, but that was total Bullshit. Normally, I'd say a pitcher should never put one above a guys ribcage, but I think the Mets should check out Utley's headgear next game

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I am only 26 years old, so there is a lot of baseball I have not seen, but that was, by far, the worst call I have ever seen in post season baseball.

I am sorry Mets fans, you got screwed.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the rule, it seems that that one of the things in order to meet the criteria is that the umpire believes that was the player's (in this case, Utley's) intent (which implies belief) to break up a double play. The actual pragmatics of it are actually irrelevant, technically. Or maybe I am crazy for using that interpretation.

Again, intent implies belief. It doesn't say a Double play must have been prevented, it says intent to break up a double play.

I see what you're saying but I think it's more of an unwritten rule, as long as you don't try to reach out and grab the infielder with your arms and you are in arms reach of the bag, I rarely ever seen interference called. I see these types of slides happen every season. The difference is that the SS usually does not turn his back to the runner and tries to spin in mid-air knowing that the runner is about to be on top of him. People are saying that he should have went in softer but in the heat of the moment, in the playoffs with the game on the line it's bang-bang and how was he supposed to know Tejada would break his leg.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks that Tejada got hurt and I would never wish injury on anyone (I said it jokingly about Bryce Harper) but he turned his back to the runner, you have to realize that he's going to try to break up that double play at all costs. Turning you back to the runner is incredibly dangerous on a play like that and Murphy did not give him a good toss, at that point you have to take the force and accept it.

I'm not sure if Utley was safe, like I said that was a difficult play to call because no one even knows the exact rules off the top of their head in that situation and the reviewer in New York should know the rules better than anyone. I've seen people try to break up a double play like that plenty of times during the season, it was just unfortunate that Tejada happened to get his leg caught. Do you guys honestly think Utley was trying to break dude's leg?
It was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. I'm all for going hard to break up a double play, but not for intentionally trying to hurt someone

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not defending the vicinity play, nor the slide. Just trying to have some video of the play. Utley should have been out. The runner at first should be out. End of the inning. Terrible play. Terrible call by the replay officials.

Yep and the Mets should be up 2-0 and sending those miserable Dodgers back home for the season Monday night

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same way if a guy strikes out on a ball in the dirt and just walks back to the dugout untagged.

You can't walk off the field of play and be safe. So you saying it's ok for me to avoid a tag by doing a loop out to centerfield?
In that situation, he is not called out by the umpire until he leaves the base path. I actually wondered this one myself earlier this season so watched a few games looking for this situation specifically. I actually saw it in a game between the Mets and Giants (I think). The batter struck out, but just walked back to the dugout. He was not tagged. The umpire did not ring him up until he left the batters circle, thus leaving the base path.

In the situation tonight, Utley was called out, thus the play was essentially dead for him. Touching the bag would have been pointless. Once the play was reversed, the play after the reversal becomes umpires discretion, essentially. Since he was not out, he was "awarded" second base.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying but I think it's more of an unwritten rule, as long as you don't try to reach out and grab the infielder with your arms and you are in arms reach of the bag, I rarely ever seen interference called. I see these types of slides happen every season. The difference is that the SS usually does not turn his back to the runner and tries to spin in mid-air knowing that the runner is about to be on top of him. People are saying that he should have went in softer but in the heat of the moment, in the playoffs with the game on the line it's bang-bang and how was he supposed to know Tejada would break his leg.

This game does beg the question of what exactly does it take to have interference called. You're certainly correct that this is seldom called. I don't think people can be blamed particularly for believing that this is interference either, however. In general, I agree on your assessment of what it probably takes for an umpire to actually call interference.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. I'm all for going hard to break up a double play, but not for intentionally trying to hurt someone

Utley as a middle infielder knows the chances of getting hurt around second base on a DP. I watched the replay a few times and he had enough time to see that Tejada was going to be in an awkward position and was not going to be able to turn the DP. He could have easily broke off to the third base side of the bag to avoid Tejada.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley as a middle infielder knows the chances of getting hurt around second base on a DP. I watched the replay a few times and he had enough time to see that Tejada was going to be in an awkward position and was not going to be able to turn the DP. He could have easily broke off to the third base side of the bag to avoid Tejada.
There's no question. I'm not saying the Met's starter should get himself tossed, but at some point, you have to defend your teammate. He slid so late, that he knew the guy was totally defenseless. Gutless

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These almost my point for me. This rule is not enforced, but it is on the books. Why have it on the books if it is ignored? The Posey rule is really just a repeat of this rule. If the catcher prevents the runner from getting to the plate and does not have the ball, the run should count. If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball instead of go for the plate, the runner should be out.

I feel the same with the play at second. I also feel that way with the tag play at 3rd when the 3B man drops his knee blocking the bag. All of these are interference, by the rules.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait a second. . .you are actually defending this? That is a level of homerism rarely seen.

Be honest with yourself right now man. If the situation was reversed, would you feel the same way?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,780.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley was out 4 times:
1) willful interference
2) neighborhood play
3) never touched the bag
4) abandoned the field

Sorry, but anybody who can look at Utley's slide, and say "that looked clean," ....is either dumb or lying...but more than likely probably both.