• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Atlanta Braves @ New York Mets (8/26-

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Series preview: Mets vs. Braves - Mets Blog - ESPN New York

FIRST PITCH: The Mets will have a chance to play spoiler as the Atlanta Braves visit Citi Field for a three-game series.

Atlanta (68-63) trails the first-place Washington Nationals by 7½ games in the division race, but the Braves are right in the thick of the wild-card hunt.

One aspect to watch Tuesday: Will David Wright and Daniel Murphy return to the lineup? Wright departed Sunday’s game at Dodger Stadium in the third inning with muscle spasms in his neck. Murphy departed in the ninth inning with a right-calf issue.

Dillon Gee (4-6, 3.84 ERA) opposes left-hander Alex Wood (9-9, 3.05) in the 7:10 p.m. series opener.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
~
The Mets have not made any concrete decisions on September call-ups, but two of the biggest prospects at Triple-A appear likely to be passed over.

i

Reynolds
i

Plawecki
Neither catcher Kevin Plawecki nor middle infielder Matt Reynolds needs to be added to the 40-man roster this winter, since each was drafted in June 2012. While nothing has been determined firmly, that is likely to keep both from joining the Mets after Las Vegas' playoff run ends, team insiders suggested.

As for Noah Syndergaard, there still will be healthy debate about a September call-up, a source said. Syndergaard does need to be added to the 40-man roster this winter. The argument for the call-up, even with him approaching an innings cap, is that he could benefit from exposure to the majors. The argument against the promotion centers on not rewarding Syndergaard for an uneven season. He currently has a 4.85 ERA and 1.504 WHIP at Triple-A.

The Mets' player-development agreement with Triple-A Las Vegas expires after this season, but it looks like the pair will remain partners for two more years.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson told the Las Vegas Review-Journal it's a "very strong possibility" the sides will remain aligned.

Las Vegas manager Wally Backman said to the newspaper: “I’ve got a real good feeling we’re gonna be back. I don’t know that for sure, but I think we’ll be back. I’m sure the Mets would like to have us on the East Coast, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen. And if we can’t be there, in my opinion this is the best place to be. I would like to see them come back here.”

Rochester, in upstate New York, was a potential fit for the Mets, but is reportedly announcing a two-year extension with the Twins on Monday night.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great job Mets. :clap:

Is Wright gonna miss this whole series?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST PITCH: Now that Zack Wheeler can beat anyone, can he beat the Atlanta Braves?

The New York Mets right-hander had three wins over his hometown team last season. He doesn't yet have any this year.

That's not entirely his fault. He pitched well against the Braves each of the last two times out, but got little help from his offense in either game.

Perhaps the somewhat-revived Mets offense -- hey, they scored 11 runs just a few days ago -- can help Wheeler (9-8, 3.48) when he faces the Braves again on Wednesday night at Citi Field.

Then again, he's matched up against right-hander Julio Teheran (12-9, 2.96), who is coming off six scoreless innings against the Cincinnati Reds.

Wheeler gave up four runs to the Oakland A's in his last start, but since a June 30 start in Atlanta, he's 6-0 with a 2.12 ERA.

Now, can he beat the Braves?

Morning Briefing: Wheels up! - Mets Blog - ESPN New York

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST PITCH: The New York Mets will try to win a series from the Atlanta Braves for the third time this season when the two teams play Thursday night at Citi Field.

There's a chance David Wright could return to the lineup for the first time since he left Sunday's game in Los Angeles with neck spasms.

The Mets and Braves split a pair of 3-2 games the last two nights. The Mets are 7-4 in one-run games since the All-Star break, after going 13-22 in the first half.

Jonathon Niese (7-9, 3.47), who is 2-5 with a 4.63 ERA since he came off the disabled list in late July, starts for the Mets. Left-hander Mike Minor (5-8, 4.09), who has allowed just two runs in 14 2/3 innings over his last two starts, goes for the Braves.

Morning Briefing: Mets look to take series - Mets Blog - ESPN New York

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3