• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLDS: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. New York Mets

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now we get to see a pitcher use a baseball as a weapon

B

bravesfan1

ok, heres my 2 cents now...

Mets fans: Answer honestly, would you still be saying this if it was Tejada taking out Utley? (not tryingto stir up crap, just an honest question)

Multiple times during the season, a runner is way off 2nd base to break up a double play, and never is an interference call called(i think it should be, if they are not headed to the base, but it doesnt get called)

now, I am on the Mets side that Utley, should of been out...there is no way he can be ruled safe, since he never touched the bag. (Maybe in hindsite, the Mets manager should of waited on the review, have the pitcher throw the ball to second for the appeal, and if called safe, then get the review)

Now for those calling for a ball pitched at Utleys head....I would hope against that for these reasons:
1. Dont lower your self to Utleys level
2. The best form of payback? Winning the next 2 games
3. an intentional hit could fire up the Dodgers, and gives them a lot of momentum.
4. if both bences get warned, then anything thrown inside, could result n the pitcher being ejected..(lets say dodgers have a runner on 3rd, 1 out top of the 9th, down by one.....and the closer gets ejected for throwing to far inside, do you really want that to happen???)

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley was out, no doubt about it.

To me, it was a hard slide but legal. I was taught that as long as you can reach out and touch second base on the slide it's not interference...it doesn't mean you have to touch it, but you have to be close enough to the bag to do so.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I experienced after the Fail Mary. I will not try to change your mind or argue with you buddy. I don't think you are "stupid" or anything like that, but if you think that was in any way a reasonable call after looking at the same videos we have all seen, then there is no point in even opening a dialog.

In all seriousness, congratulations on the win. I was actually cheering for the Dodgers in this game since I want that series to go 5. I just think the Mets got screwed.
I think it IS absurd. I have been arguing it is textbook interference. The Fail Mary, with insult to injury, is an apt comparison here.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, heres my 2 cents now...

Mets fans: Answer honestly, would you still be saying this if it was Tejada taking out Utley? (not tryingto stir up crap, just an honest question)

Multiple times during the season, a runner is way off 2nd base to break up a double play, and never is an interference call called(i think it should be, if they are not headed to the base, but it doesnt get called)

now, I am on the Mets side that Utley, should of been out...there is no way he can be ruled safe, since he never touched the bag. (Maybe in hindsite, the Mets manager should of waited on the review, have the pitcher throw the ball to second for the appeal, and if called safe, then get the review)

Now for those calling for a ball pitched at Utleys head....I would hope against that for these reasons:
1. Dont lower your self to Utleys level
2. The best form of payback? Winning the next 2 games
3. an intentional hit could fire up the Dodgers, and gives them a lot of momentum.
4. if both bences get warned, then anything thrown inside, could result n the pitcher being ejected..(lets say dodgers have a runner on 3rd, 1 out top of the 9th, down by one.....and the closer gets ejected for throwing to far inside, do you really want that to happen???)
What? You said in #1: "Don't lower yourself to Utley's level". What the hell did Utley do wrong?? Utley did exactly what "every" ballplayer would/should do to break up a double play ball.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utley was out, no doubt about it.

To me, it was a hard slide but legal. I was taught that as long as you can reach out and touch second base on the slide it's not interference...it doesn't mean you have to touch it, but you have to be close enough to the bag to do so.
That's a damn good point. Utley was close to touch second base with his hand. I really don't see why fans are bitching and complaining about Utley taking out Tejada. It was a completely "legal" play. I do feel sorry for Tejada, but Utley didn't hurt him on purpose.

B

bravesfan1

What? You said in #1: "Don't lower yourself to Utley's level". What the hell did Utley do wrong?? Utley did exactly what "every" ballplayer would/should do to break up a double play ball.
I know, thats why i put that its what every player does... im more referring to the ones who said it was "dirty". If they really feel that way, the best form of revenge is winning the next 2, not by playing dirty ball also...(if they truely think it was dirty

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I think He was out. Not b cause he didn't touch the base, because he did, but because the ball beat him there. Tejada was touching the bag.
However, if Utley doesn't slide hard and they turn the double everyone would be blaming Utley for not breaking it up. Yes the slide was late, but it is just a hard baseball play.
Of course I am a hockey fan so an open ice hit is always good

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, thats why i put that its what every player does... im more referring to the ones who said it was "dirty". If they really feel that way, the best form of revenge is winning the next 2, not by playing dirty ball also...(if they truely think it was dirty
Fair enough. :suds:

B

bravesfan1

I mean think about it.. what would give them more satisfaction? beaning utley, and losing the series, or not doing anything to him, winning the series, and getting ready to play the Cubs or Cardinals? if i was a Mets fan, i would pick the latter, but then again, im not a Mets fan lol

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I think He was out. Not b cause he didn't touch the base, because he did, but because the ball beat him there. Tejada was touching the bag.
However, if Utley doesn't slide hard and they turn the double everyone would be blaming Utley for not breaking it up. Yes the slide was late, but it is just a hard baseball play.
Of course I am a hockey fan so an open ice hit is always good
Look at the video again, Tejada missed the bag. Now, most umps will give the defensive guy the benefit of the doubt, if he is close enough on double play ball. I agree with you that it was a "hard baseball play" by Utley, his left hand touched the bag.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean think about it.. what would give them more satisfaction? beaning utley, and losing the series, or not doing anything to him, winning the series, and getting ready to play the Cubs or Cardinals? if i was a Mets fan, i would pick the latter, but then again, im not a Mets fan lol
Why would "anyone" bean Utley for breaking up a double play ball, with a completely legal slide?

B

bravesfan1

Why would "anyone" bean Utley for breaking up a double play ball, with a completely legal slide?
I honestly dont see the logic either, but look back and some of the comments in this thread... they are calling for a bean to the head..its sickening really

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly dont see the logic either, but look back and some of the comments in this thread... they are calling for a bean to the head..its sickening really
Yes it is "sickening". Those fans that said that, apparently don't know that much about baseball.

B

bravesfan1

Yes it is "sickening". Those fans that said that, apparently don't know that much about baseball.

Im still waiting for Mets fans to answer the first part... If it was the other way around, and Tejada slid into Utley like that, would they still say it was a dirty play? would they be calling for Tejada to be suspended?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still waiting for Mets fans to answer the first part... If it was the other way around, and Tejada slid into Utley like that, would they still say it was a dirty play? would they be calling for Tejada to be suspended?
That's a fair question.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree (with a Braves fan, imagine that!) . I'm sure you've seen Utley over the years. He enjoys being hit. It is part of his game. Unless they bean him in the head and literally knock him out (or kill him) you're not accomplishing anything by hitting him. If you drill him in the ribs he will gladly run to first base. And he's not even starting so he's likely to come up as a pinch hitter for the pitcher. Do you really want to hit the 9 hitter in a key situation with the top of the order coming up?