• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLCS: CHICAGO CUBS vs. L.A. DODGERS

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I like the Dodgers players on this team, they are good dudes, Kershaw is a pleasure to watch on his hof career. I just hate that laundry so much LOL
I really under-estimated this team at the beginning of the year. I thought they looked crappy, but they brought some players up from the minors and went to town.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this rule came out everybody talked about it happening in a big game. Well there it is. Stupid rule
Well Culberson could have came in feet front and wiped the catcher out, as he didn't have the ball. A catcher can not block the plate without the ball.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That catcher blocking rule, it's not great. But at least the outcome of the game wasn't really affected. It could have been, but in this case not an important play to the result.
The catcher was lucky that Culberson didn't come in feet first and wipe him out. Culberson would have been legal, as the catcher can not block the plate without the ball.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The catcher was lucky that Culberson didn't come in feet first and wipe him out. Culberson would have been legal, as the catcher can not block the plate without the ball.
He did not block the plate without the ball.
He blocked the lane for about an eighth of a second without the ball. At the time of contact, Contreras had the ball securely. Dunce.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Maddon,
In case Game 5 didn't motivate you, I'm going to remind you to tell your pitchers not to walk batters while we have a lead. Thanks.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He blocked the lane for about an eighth of a second without the ball. At the time of contact, Contreras had the ball securely. Dunce.
Read your own words. "he blocked the lane for about an eighth of a second without the ball". Is there a set amount of time you can block the plate in the rule? Is it an 1/8 of second, 1/4 of a second, 1/2, 3/4, 1?
What is it in your mind? The logical extreme is the catcher can block the runner as long as he can until the ball comes or even sit on the plate so that the runner cannot touch it. See how goofy this can get if you can block the plate at all without the ball.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really think that if a Cub runner was called out in a similar fashion, Maddon would have gotten himself ejected arguing that his runner should be called out and the rule is bad?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really think that if a Cub runner was called out in a similar fashion, Maddon would have gotten himself ejected arguing that his runner should be called out and the rule is bad?

I think at that point Maddon knew the game was lost. I really don't see the purpose of getting himself ejected there. Then to complain after the game as if it was the deciding factor? Silly.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit surprised seeing the articles saying how bad Kershaw pitched. He gave up two runs, go figure.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if Culbertson could've run him over, he would've just run him over and been safe anyway.

He clearly stuck his leg out before the ball got there.

if Culbertson went in feet first he could've broken his leg.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers need to take advantage of Lester's fear of holding runners.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at that point Maddon knew the game was lost. I really don't see the purpose of getting himself ejected there. Then to complain after the game as if it was the deciding factor? Silly.
I think that was deflection more than anything. Give the media and public something to talk about and take the heat off the team playing a mediocre game. Also take the focus off the bad pitching, etc. I think it was smart. Madden does this a lot and we all slam him for it but his players appreciate him looking like an idiot and protecting them.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was deflection more than anything. Give the media and public something to talk about and take the heat off the team playing a mediocre game. Also take the focus off the bad pitching, etc. I think it was smart. Madden does this a lot and we all slam him for it but his players appreciate him looking like an idiot and protecting them.

You're right. That is pretty genius.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause everyone expects so much from him. Also doesn’t help that all his runs have been from home runs this post season.
I think you are right. I think if he hadn't given up 4 in the LDS game, it may not be an issue but when you go down in the history books for HR's allowed in a single post season game, it becomes a big story. The fact that he wins the game becomes secondary.
As for last night, a bad pitch and down 2-0 and all everybody can say is "Here we go again". Not saying his history doesn't matter, just that it gets overplayed by the media and fans sometimes.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L You're wrong idiot!!! Look at the replay, Contreras stuck out his leg before he had the ball. Contreras was lucky he didn''t get his leg broken, if Culbertso had came in feet first, Contreras could have been seriously injuried.

"Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall call or signal the runner safe".

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read your own words. "he blocked the lane for about an eighth of a second without the ball". Is there a set amount of time you can block the plate in the rule? Is it an 1/8 of second, 1/4 of a second, 1/2, 3/4, 1?
What is it in your mind? The logical extreme is the catcher can block the runner as long as he can until the ball comes or even sit on the plate so that the runner cannot touch it. See how goofy this can get if you can block the plate at all without the ball.
Yeah the keys words in the rule are "Unless the catcher is in POSSESION of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score".

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said the NYC umps were wrong to call it the way they did. It's a stupid rule open to interpretation. It was a PERFECT baseball play as maddon said.
In fact, if contreras stayed above the plate until the last millisecond and THEN lunged his whole body toward the path to catch the ball, he'd have not been violating the rule, but he'd be putting himself and the runner in WAY more danger. Dumb rule that needs to be fixed.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L You're wrong idiot!!! Look at the replay, Contreras stuck out his leg before he had the ball. .
I didn't say he didn't. In fact, I said he did. Can you not read?!?

I never said the NYC umps were wrong to call it the way they did. It's a stupid rule open to interpretation. It was a PERFECT baseball play as maddon said.
In fact, if contreras stayed above the plate until the last millisecond and THEN lunged his whole body toward the path to catch the ball, he'd have not been violating the rule, but he'd be putting himself and the runner in WAY more danger. Dumb rule that needs to be fixed.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say he didn't. In fact, I said he did. Can you not read?!?

Okay fair enough, you think it's a dumb rule, I get that. Nevertheless it's still a rule and the umps have to abide by that rule. Maddon can bitch and moan all he wants, but that rule will stand until MLB changes it.