• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea who “Lutz” is. But Lux is the hotshot you are referring to.
Yes you do. But Lux is not a minor league hotshot. He was on the team back when the Giants were good

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

looks like a great deal for the Giants
They are buying 3 years of his FA start, but paying him into the 20M per year neighborhood for those years. Seems like a fair deal, assuming he continues to be a #1 type pitcher through the life of the contract. It isn’t the clearly team-friendly contract that the Bum deal was.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Muncy hitting .239/.398/.641 and a 172 wRC+, 12 of his 22 hits are homers.

JimBob

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

looks like a great deal for the Giants
Gotta have more than one starter. Surprised at how well Cobb and DeSlafani have been. Had hoped for Mannea but he is trash

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats wrong with the pads

their ballpark suppresses offense and some of those stars are having down years (Bogaerts, Machado). There was some concern around Bogaerts with his statcast/exit velocity numbers last year and he's been struggling after a hot start, and even Machado just isn't hitting the ball very hard. The only ones really hitting are Soto and Tatis. Even the rotation has been pretty meh (Wacha is the only starter with an ERA+ north of 100)

the 3-11 record in one run games also hurts, and that's with them having a really good bullpen

it's not like they were dominant last year either. 89-73 with a +45 run differential. Playoff caliber, but hardly an elite team. it doesn't take too much for that kind of team to find themselves around .500 or worse. still a lot of season left.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corbin Carroll 4-5 today, now up to .300/.387/.541 with a 150 wRC+ and 18 steals. he's looking more and more like a superstar

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's so weird seeing the Dodgers 11th in the NL in ERA, they're usually at or near the top in the league. In fact, the last time they didn't lead the NL in ERA was 2016 (5th). Some regression was to be expected (their pitching staff as a whole outperformed their FIP/xFIP by more than half a run, which is pretty drastic). Not only did they have to replace Tyler Anderson's production, but they've also had injuries to May/Urias/Gonsolin and Syndergaard's been a disaster.

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m surprised the Diamondbacks are still in first place. I barely even consider them a Major League franchise. They are almost like a developmental team for other teams

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's so weird seeing the Dodgers 11th in the NL in ERA, they're usually at or near the top in the league. In fact, the last time they didn't lead the NL in ERA was 2016 (5th). Some regression was to be expected (their pitching staff as a whole outperformed their FIP/xFIP by more than half a run, which is pretty drastic). Not only did they have to replace Tyler Anderson's production, but they've also had injuries to May/Urias/Gonsolin and Syndergaard's been a disaster.
how much do you think they inevitably give Ohtani? I think he easily, easily breaks the record....honestly 600 mill is not outta the question.

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much do you think they inevitably give Ohtani? I think he easily, easily breaks the record....honestly 600 mill is not outta the question.
Boy, I hope you are wrong. I bet the Yankees looks pretty attractive to him; perhaps San Francisco. They are not far away from being a contender

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I hope you are wrong. I bet the Yankees looks pretty attractive to him; perhaps San Francisco. They are not far away from being a contender
I think the early contenders will be the usual suspects…

Dodgers
Giants
Padres
Cubs
Phils
Yanks
Mets
Red Sox

He has already said he does not want to go to Seattle because he wants to blaze his own path, and doesn’t want to compete with the legacy of Ichiro.

Of that shortlist, I think the Dodgers are the prohibitive favorites. But the Giants and Yanks have the available funds to make a serious push as well.

In the long run, I think whoever “wins” will actually be the loser. His contract will be crippling for a long time, and I don’t see him being worth that contract for very long at all.

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the early contenders will be the usual suspects…

Dodgers
Giants
Padres
Cubs
Phils
Yanks
Mets
Red Sox

He has already said he does not want to go to Seattle because he wants to blaze his own path, and doesn’t want to compete with the legacy of Ichiro.

Of that shortlist, I think the Dodgers are the prohibitive favorites. But the Giants and Yanks have the available funds to make a serious push as well.

In the long run, I think whoever “wins” will actually be the loser. His contract will be crippling for a long time, and I don’t see him being worth that contract for very long at all.
I forgot about the Red Sox, and the Mets will be in on him too. The Giants have been looking to spend some money on a star player recently and the Padres and Dodgers are always contenders for a big name. I just like the way he fits in with that short porch in Yankee Stadium. I’m thinking that’s gotta be really attractive to him

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the Red Sox, and the Mets will be in on him too. The Giants have been looking to spend some money on a star player recently and the Padres and Dodgers are always contenders for a big name. I just like the way he fits in with that short porch in Yankee Stadium. I’m thinking that’s gotta be really attractive to him
I think the Dodgers did not spend any money last offseason with the plan to go after Ohtani. They could have resigned some of their guys- but I think they are prioritizing Ohtani.

NOt sure the Yanks would go after him after just paying Judge. I am sure they prob. could

Pads- I guess never discount them but they need to pay Soto and just paid Machado, Bogaertes, Tatis

San Fran is probably an option too- they are trying to spend and have big money.

Red Sox seem to have taken a step back from the big time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his attitude to not wanting to compete with the legacy of Ichiro, I assume he will extend that to the legacy of the pinstripes. I think he wants to be identified by/with an org. That, imho, rules out SF, NYY, MAYBE the Dodgers…

I wonder if the Pads would really want to spend the coin required to get him, but they reportedly offered the most money for Judge, so who knows.

Maybe the lack of an icon player in their history could play into the hands of the Cubs or Phils?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m surprised the Diamondbacks are still in first place. I barely even consider them a Major League franchise. They are almost like a developmental team for other teams

I thought they had some dark horse potential coming into the season. The rotation after Gallen/Kelly is still iffy, there's talent but they're inexperienced. Gallen and Kelly have solidified themselves as one of the best 1-2 punches. The lineup is also one of the best scoring offenses in the NL. Carroll is looking like one of the next superstars.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Dodgers did not spend any money last offseason with the plan to go after Ohtani. They could have resigned some of their guys- but I think they are prioritizing Ohtani.

NOt sure the Yanks would go after him after just paying Judge. I am sure they prob. could

Pads- I guess never discount them but they need to pay Soto and just paid Machado, Bogaertes, Tatis

San Fran is probably an option too- they are trying to spend and have big money.

Red Sox seem to have taken a step back from the big time.
I think that's correct about the Dodgers, they clearly took a step back this year getting ready to make the godfather offer to Ohtani. Pretty sure that's where he's going.

Beetle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his attitude to not wanting to compete with the legacy of Ichiro, I assume he will extend that to the legacy of the pinstripes. I think he wants to be identified by/with an org. That, imho, rules out SF, NYY, MAYBE the Dodgers…

I wonder if the Pads would really want to spend the coin required to get him, but they reportedly offered the most money for Judge, so who knows.

Maybe the lack of an icon player in their history could play into the hands of the Cubs or Phils?
I don’t see Ohtani in the Midwest or Philadelphia. I see him going somewhere where he can really capitalize on his unique status as a player; a city where he can really market himself. And that sounds like L.A or NYC unfortunately. Don’ know much about Asian cultures but I assume a large Asian culture would be something he would be looking for and again that sounds like LA or maybe San Francisco, possibly San Diego