• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it weren't for 488-foot home runs that MLB scribes wet their undies watching over and over, and the things the Yankees do, this would be one of the more uninteresting baseball seasons since 1989.

I suppose the last week or so will avail itself but honestly, this thing got warped out of shape in February when every scribe in the country wakked off to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado ... then wondered why Keuchel hadn't become the newest savior.

Watched the Reds vs. the Marlins and a total of 11,000 fans have shown up for 2 games I would not pay to watch (I guess I do with the MLB subscription).

NLC:
St. Louis: No surprise. I figured as much when they got Goldy, was surprised their manager held that pitching together. They have a lot of issues heading into post-season with their bullpen.

Cubs: Being a Reds fan in Cubs-land is like watching chipmunks fighting over a peanut. Half of them have to ask somebody if the team won that day. I tell them, if they care so fucking much, why not watch the game, and stop asking Reds fans.

Brewers: The long season outed that really mediocre pitching. If Milky didn't play the Reds, they'd be in 4th place.

Parrots: Playing the Reds simply proves that God has a sense of humor. Hurdle's gotten stale. Even if they get Tallion back, they are brutal. Colin Moran is annoying as fuck.

Reds: We got sold a bill of goods and we're still optimistic we have 3 solid starters for next year. Keep your eye on VanMeter and Senzel. The expected 78 wins is about on target.

Fuck: LAD, NYM-Y, BOS, SFG ... and any team that ESPN sucks off in order to get click-throughs.

Atlanta wins the pennant. Lord, I hope the Twins get something. You just don't have many chances to say that. If Tampa wins, go. Tickets will be available at the gate.

The White Sox: Why? Just, why?

The 488-foot home run counts as 1 run.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it weren't for 488-foot home runs that MLB scribes wet their undies watching over and over, and the things the Yankees do, this would be one of the more uninteresting baseball seasons since 1989.
I'm not so sure about that. The NL Central has been all over the place. Early the Pirates were in contention. The Reds were in it until almost the All star break.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I suppose the last week or so will avail itself but honestly, this thing got warped out of shape in February when every scribe in the country wakked off to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado ... then wondered why Keuchel hadn't become the newest savior.

Watched the Reds vs. the Marlins and a total of 11,000 fans have shown up for 2 games I would not pay to watch (I guess I do with the MLB subscription).

NLC:
St. Louis: No surprise. I figured as much when they got Goldy, was surprised their manager held that pitching together. They have a lot of issues heading into post-season with their bullpen.

Cubs: Being a Reds fan in Cubs-land is like watching chipmunks fighting over a peanut. Half of them have to ask somebody if the team won that day. I tell them, if they care so fucking much, why not watch the game, and stop asking Reds fans.

Brewers: The long season outed that really mediocre pitching. If Milky didn't play the Reds, they'd be in 4th place.

Parrots: Playing the Reds simply proves that God has a sense of humor. Hurdle's gotten stale. Even if they get Tallion back, they are brutal. Colin Moran is annoying as fuck.

Reds: We got sold a bill of goods and we're still optimistic we have 3 solid starters for next year. Keep your eye on VanMeter and Senzel. The expected 78 wins is about on target.

Fuck: LAD, NYM-Y, BOS, SFG ... and any team that ESPN sucks off in order to get click-throughs.

Atlanta wins the pennant. Lord, I hope the Twins get something. You just don't have many chances to say that. If Tampa wins, go. Tickets will be available at the gate.

Who the hell is Milky??

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to the Brewers to allow a rain delay at a stadium with a roof. Guess the guy watching the radar had to go take a piss.

He must have had to take a long piss since the delay was 9 minutes long.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NLC:

I thought I was the only person still left on the planet who still calls the Brewers Milky.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I was the only person still left on the planet who still calls the Brewers Milky.
That is the first time I haven't called them the Broo-hoos.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3964mn.jpg

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, that's a new term to me too for the Brew Crew or Brew.

Heck, I'm older than dirt so I still call your team the Redlegs.

I'm just curious, when did your team change from being called the Redlegs to the Reds?

I'll never learn how to be politically correct and I don't want to.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting poece of history. They were renamed the "Redlegs" in 1953 in response to the red scare.

The Cincinnati Reds were Once Renamed the "Redlegs" Due to the Second Red Scare

"This name stuck until 1953 when the association of the term “Reds” with communism caused the Reds to change their name to the “Redlegs” in order to avoid the social stigma. Further, for a four year stretch from 1956-1960, the name “Reds” was removed from the team’s logo and no longer appeared on the team’s uniforms. Despite the continued use of the changed logo, the name “Cincinnati Reds” was restored after the 1958 season."

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting poece of history. They were renamed the "Redlegs" in 1953 in response to the red scare.

The Cincinnati Reds were Once Renamed the "Redlegs" Due to the Second Red Scare

"This name stuck until 1953 when the association of the term “Reds” with communism caused the Reds to change their name to the “Redlegs” in order to avoid the social stigma. Further, for a four year stretch from 1956-1960, the name “Reds” was removed from the team’s logo and no longer appeared on the team’s uniforms. Despite the continued use of the changed logo, the name “Cincinnati Reds” was restored after the 1958 season."

Thank you for that information!

Now your next assignment is to go kick those Cubs butts all weekend long. There will be a lot of Cardinals fans cheering for you to do just that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are references to the Redlegs as far back as the early 1900s and several such references to them in 1919. Reds don't mind if you call them that. Everything else is just the canned story from whoever decides to share it.

rr.jpeg Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 12.36.13 PM.png Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 12.37.14 PM.png

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be an exciting ending to the season. I was a little worried about playing 2 doubleheaders in 2 days. That's allot of wear on the rotation. Wacha is pitching tonight, so most likely the Cards will lose. Looks like the Cubs have the day off.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be an exciting ending to the season. I was a little worried about playing 2 doubleheaders in 2 days. That's allot of wear on the rotation. Wacha is pitching tonight, so most likely the Cards will lose. Looks like the Cubs have the day off.

Yes, the Cubs have the day off but I feel sure that you will join me in being a big time Brewers fan when the Cubs begin their next series in Milwaukee.

Who would have thought this would happen:

We've got the best record in the entire NL since the all star break at 34-16.
We're on a 20-5 run.
Flaherty's ERA is 0.90 in this last 11 starts

Now this sounds like a good formula for winning the NL Central so let's do this!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Brew Crew!
This is their last chance to get back into this playoff race. They need to take at least 3/4 from the Cubs. A sweep would be great.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Cubs have the day off but I feel sure that you will join me in being a big time Brewers fan when the Cubs begin their next series in Milwaukee.

Who would have thought this would happen:

We've got the best record in the entire NL since the all star break at 34-16.
We're on a 20-5 run.
Flaherty's ERA is 0.90 in this last 11 starts

Now this sounds like a good formula for winning the NL Central so let's do this!

Yep. You guys are on a helluva run.

ANYBODY BUT THE CUBS!!!

But the Cards are a close 2nd.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Brew Crew!
This is their last chance to get back into this playoff race. They need to take at least 3/4 from the Cubs. A sweep would be great.

Who would have thought that we would be pulling for the Brewers with only four weeks left?

GO MILKY, CREW, BREW CREW or whatever you want to call yourselves as long as you include CUB BEATERS in your name!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You guys are on a helluva run.

ANYBODY BUT THE CUBS!!!

But the Cards are a close 2nd.

I'll even pull for your Packers tonight if you will beat those Cubs!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jump on the Title Wagon!!

Well, since neither the Brewers or the Packers are going to be on the title wagon are you referring to the Badgers?

If we've got a deal I hope tomorrow morning's headlines in all Wisconsin papers will read:

Two professional teams in the state of Wisconsin win on the same night.