• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good thing about getting Goldschmidt is he gives us great defense at first base and Carpenter can play his normal 3rd base position for the entire season barring injuries. As for Dexter Fowler, he has been a huge disappointment for the Cardinals since he arrived and I will also be disappointed if he makes our opening day roster. I don't follow spring training stats much so I don't know what he is hitting but I know he can't hit during the regular season.
This is exactly what is wrong with getting Goldy. You now have a decrepit shoulder/arm playing 3b for an entire season. MCarp won't last there...heck, he's out now with back issues. Compensating for his messed up shoulder will lead to other body part ailments due to the compensating. Why they chose to chase down a trade for a one year rental, at a position of no need vs. getting a top notch 3B is beyond me...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...DFlower had a very good year with the Cards in 2017. He flailed miserably last year. To say he's been a huge disappointment is moronic. And oh, by the way...who is hitting this ST for the Cards OF'ers? Master Bader has a worse average. LOL.

Relax, it's ST

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference, Joey Votto has 2 hits this spring and Scott Schebler has an OPS of 1.280. Guess which one is sustainable?

Spring numbers don't mean anything.

Answer to above question is: That's not a good question.

John, I hope you are doing well! You are correct, spring numbers don't mean anything but regular season numbers sure do and most Cardinals fans I know would like to see Fowler gone.

I think your Reds will be very competitive this coming season.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...DFlower had a very good year with the Cards in 2017. He flailed miserably last year. To say he's been a huge disappointment is moronic. And oh, by the way...who is hitting this ST for the Cards OF'ers? Master Bader has a worse average. LOL.

Relax, it's ST

Have it your way scouty but most Cardinals fans in the know who I have talked with would prefer Fowler not being on our roster. Obviously I will be cheering for him if he is because I'm a team guy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have it your way scouty but most Cardinals fans in the know who I have talked with would prefer Fowler not being on our roster. Obviously I will be cheering for him if he is because I'm a team guy.
Fowler is at the age where his vision has gone to 20:20, which is great if you drive a forklift but not so great if you want to upswing your OBP.

St. Louis would likely be better off to replace him but that's not always just a matter of moving the furniture around. There are two options -- outside the system or inside the system. Inside the system is the most practical, but if you don't have a guy who's ready -- in experience or in contract (Super 2) ... you kinda have to go with what you have.

It's not always just that easy to offload a guy who had a bad year. Seems like it would be, but it's not. Cincy has a similar problem with Matt Kemp. He's redundant but in GABP, he's still worth 25 HR. He also has a $23 million contract.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler is at the age where his vision has gone to 20:20, which is great if you drive a forklift but not so great if you want to upswing your OBP.

St. Louis would likely be better off to replace him but that's not always just a matter of moving the furniture around. There are two options -- outside the system or inside the system. Inside the system is the most practical, but if you don't have a guy who's ready -- in experience or in contract (Super 2) ... you kinda have to go with what you have.

It's not always just that easy to offload a guy who had a bad year. Seems like it would be, but it's not. Cincy has a similar problem with Matt Kemp. He's redundant but in GABP, he's still worth 25 HR. He also has a $23 million contract.

Well said John! The financial side of baseball can be a tricky business, that's for sure.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there are a lot of moran's that are Cardinal fans. And to claim he's been a huge disappointment since getting here is completely stupid...that's my point. Correct an erroneous statement.

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference, Joey Votto has 2 hits this spring and Scott Schebler has an OPS of 1.280. Guess which one is sustainable?

Spring numbers don't mean anything.

Answer to above question is: That's not a good question.
Fowler is coming off a .200 year. Votto is one of the more consistent players for a decade. Very poor comparison.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fowler is coming off a .200 year. Votto is one of the more consistent players for a decade. Very poor comparison.
Oh, well sorry ... didn't mean to rattle your chain. It has nothing to do with comparing the two. It's about Fowler, OK?

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, well sorry ... didn't mean to rattle your chain. It has nothing to do with comparing the two. It's about Fowler, OK?
Rattle my chain? What part of my post made you think that? I just disagreed w/ your analogy. Seriously rattle chain? I dont get it. I didnt attack you, i gave a factual reason for my argument. I think you got rattled that i shot your example down. If im wrong my appologies in advanced.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there are a lot of moran's that are Cardinal fans. And to claim he's been a huge disappointment since getting here is completely stupid...that's my point. Correct an erroneous statement.

Are you describing yourself since the word you attempted to spell is correctly spelled moron?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Relax, it's ST
He hit .180. That defines disappointing.

Anyone know if Ankiel is still in the hunt for a reliever spot?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rattle my chain? What part of my post made you think that? I just disagreed w/ your analogy. Seriously rattle chain? I dont get it. I didnt attack you, i gave a factual reason for my argument. I think you got rattled that i shot your example down. If im wrong my appologies in advanced.
Meh, it's not worth debating.
I was just not comparing Fowler to Votto other than cite that spring training numbers carry no significance.
We can move on.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hit .180. That defines disappointing.

Anyone know if Ankiel is still in the hunt for a reliever spot?

There's my man who I just knew would finally show up here! I hope you are doing well my friend and I hope you are still enjoying whatever kind of football league you are loving so much with Johnny football even becoming a part of that league. I'm just messing with you.

I haven't heard anything lately about Ankiel but as we get closer to opening day I'm still concerned about our relief pitching. Hopefully someone will step up and give us what we need in the bullpen.

I'm still eagerly awaiting your prediction on what we will do in 2019 but you've got a little time left before you make your prediction.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's not worth debating.
I was just not comparing Fowler to Votto other than cite that spring training numbers carry no significance.
We can move on.

Hey John, Is that your cat pictured? He/she looks as old as I am but we love our pets regardless of age.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey John, Is that your cat pictured? He/she looks as old as I am but we love our pets regardless of age.
Yeah, that would be Al ... he's old but not as old as you are. I don't know for sure how old Al is. He's been here mooching for 8 years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ... say baseball fans, check out the Baseball headlines thread that I set up. It's a lot of interesting stuff.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that would be Al ... he's old but not as old as you are. I don't know for sure how old Al is. He's been here mooching for 8 years.

I knew that Al is not as old as I am because I'm older than dirt.