• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall saying the Reds would win anything. They aren't going to be walkovers and that suggests strongly that the rest of the Central is going to have to work harder at it.

You absolutely did not say the Reds would win anything but I say the Reds will be competitive in the NL Central this coming season.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy isn't winning the Central, and they are in the Central. Then you have next year to try this all over again with only Sunny Gray left on your roster. Fear not though, the Cards have a handful of important pieces coming due next year also...truly should be a do or die year for the Cards

Scouty, lets be honest here. You are a Cardinal fan when they are winning. But when you are smelling the crotch of other NL Central teams ahead of you late in the season, you are out.

GO CUBS...24/7 and 365 days since 1978.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouty, lets be honest here. You are a Cardinal fan when they are winning. But when you are smelling the crotch of other NL Central teams ahead of you late in the season, you are out.

GO CUBS...24/7 and 365 days since 1978.
LOL..utter bullshit, but kudo's. Expect nothing less from a scrubbie fan

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hope is definitely that the Cubs starting pitching is all name and nothing more. Cubs infield is probably the most stable thing in the whole division but if they came out of the gate slow then they might actually have some issues next year.

Cardinals have more pieces but there is more volatility there. I think they are going to have to rely on their young guys even more than some of the projections are suggesting. They need Carlos Martinez to be the Ace if they want to do anything real this year, though. Without him I dont see the pitching staff holding up in a playoff scenario even if everything else goes the Cardinals way. I could be wrong. They have a lot of arms I just dont know if they'll have an elite one but I guess thats why they play the games.

Last edited:

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hope is definitely that the Cubs starting pitching is all name and nothing more. Cubs infield is probably the most stable thing in the whole division but if they came out of the gate slow then they might actually have some issues next year.

Cardinals have more pieces but there is more volatility there. I think they are going to have to rely on their young guys even more than some of the projections are suggesting. They need Carlos Martinez to be the Ace if they want to do anything real this year, though. Without him I dont see the pitching staff holding up in a playoff scenario even if everything else goes the Cardinals way. I could be wrong. They have a lot of arms I just dont know if they'll have an elite one but I guess thats why they play the games.

Well said!

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing you weren't born before the 1900's lol.

1 championship since 1908. Again. 1908.

Look out world.

Check your self Trenchey, it’s been a long time since your Reds last played for a WS or even a NL Division crown.

Welcome to the modern-day NL Centrals World of The Big Blue Machine...:suds:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check your self Trenchey, it’s been a long time since your Reds last played for a WS or even a NL Division crown.

Welcome to the modern-day NL Centrals World of The Big Blue Machine...:suds:
2012 on that division title, Mitz ... it's awhile ago, but not forever. It's sucked ever since.

I think the Reds aren't getting kicked around this year but they aren't ready to win anything.

They did pull a coup by signing Jose Iglesias. Kinda curious that a SS with his pedigree can't get a contract from teams that need a SS upgrade. I mean $3 million for a big-league SS?

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 on that division title, Mitz ... it's awhile ago, but not forever. It's sucked ever since.

I think the Reds aren't getting kicked around this year but they aren't ready to win anything.

They did pull a coup by signing Jose Iglesias. Kinda curious that a SS with his pedigree can't get a contract from teams that need a SS upgrade. I mean $3 million for a big-league SS?

My bad JohnU, I meant NL Pennant. I've always liked the Reds, and have seen many games at old Riverfront Stadium with Ex-Wife..always wearing my Cubbie Blue of course.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Below average hitter. OPS+ of 79 the last 3 years. Great defensive short stop but very little value with the bat.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are 2-0 in preseason baseball. Hey I know it is going to be a long season so please let me have this!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below average hitter. OPS+ of 79 the last 3 years. Great defensive short stop but very little value with the bat.
He's an upgrade over Blake Trahan, and if he gets 10 at-bats a week, he will be pretty cheap defense.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad JohnU, I meant NL Pennant. I've always liked the Reds, and have seen many games at old Riverfront Stadium with Ex-Wife..always wearing my Cubbie Blue of course.
He he ... yeah it's funny. We remind ourselves that the oldest professional franchise, with an incredible history, has only won 10 pennants and 5 WS ... and that's not even close to the lowest number of all the teams. It just proves how tough it is to be a fan.
Still, I've seen the best the Reds ever had and the worst. In between, a zillion memories.
It's why we keep doing this.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an upgrade over Blake Trahan, and if he gets 10 at-bats a week, he will be pretty cheap defense.

Absolutely. I think it's a great signing but that's the reason why it was so cheap and just a minor league deal

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I think it's a great signing but that's the reason why it was so cheap and just a minor league deal
He also has an opt-out if it isn't the fit he wants. I don't know exactly how that would work so it's maybe more than just a 'minor league' deal.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also has an opt-out if it isn't the fit he wants. I don't know exactly how that would work so it's maybe more than just a 'minor league' deal.

They usually have a clause saying they can become a free agent if they aren't on the major league roster by a certain date