• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central Smack Talk 2014

Who Wins NL Central in 2014

• Total voters

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again. Should be a exciting year, But the Reds will bounce back and win division this year. Somethings just didn't click last year with Ludwick hurt and Cueto,and BP playing with basically one arm after getting hit by Pirates, and we still won 90 games. Let the games begin! Who you got winning NL Central?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Allegance would lie with the Cubs, but I can't pick them to win. Can't even pick them to finish ahead of the Brewers. Dusty is gone, could be Cincy's year, but I took the Cards.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope I'm wrong, but Cards.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs cubs cubs.......lol im a tiger fan living in chicago.....the cubs being good pisses white sox fans off......most likely will be the cards again.....they have a great franchise....seem to win every year no matter who they lose.....the NL central has a bunch of teams i dont hate....pirates brewers and reds are all teams i have no problem pulling for....the cards? They just win.....but watch out for the cubs in 2016....baez is a stud..

Cards
Reds
Pirates
Cubs
Brewers

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting this weird feeling that people are sleeping on the Brewers but I have to go with the Cardinals

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the Cards division to lose and hope like hell the Crew give them a run for their money.

steelerstew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it Cards
Red and Pirates come down to last week
Cubs or Brewers depends if there is a new steroid user around.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but watch out for the cubs in 2016....baez is a stud.
May even be next year, depending on when certain guys get call-ups. We've got some very talented hitters/fielders moving up, now we just need some more arms. If not next year, then yes I agree the Cubbies could contend for at least the Central in '16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting the season, I think the talent goes like this:

Cards
Pirates
Reds
Brewers
Cubs

But the Pirates are the team most susceptible to an injury ruining their year, and you never know what happens at the deadline, though the Pirates do have the most room under their budget, as well as perhaps the most pieces to move for help.

The Cardinals won the division last year, and they got better this off-season, so it's tough to see anyone else taking the division crown. I think the Pirates are about as good as they were to start last season, with more internal options moving forward than they had last year. The Reds I think got slightly worse talent-wise, but I'm interested to see how much of that will be offset by Dusty no longer managing the team into the ground. In any case, as their roster stands right now, I would put it just below the Pirates in terms of raw talent.

The Brewers aren't a terrible team, and the Cubs could be on the upswing very soon, but I just think the Cards, Pirates, and Reds are too good for them to catch right now.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cardinals are just too good for the rest of the division.

For the Reds/Pirates pretty much a toss up in reality it will come down to who stays healthier.
But if either loses two top pitchers and a McCutchen/Votto that could spell trouble.

Brewers I think will surprise especially if Braun hits like he did while juicing it up.
The Cubs position players are just too uncertain for this season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cardinals are just too good for the rest of the division.
We're deep but when was the last the favorite at the start of the season ran away from the division? That usually doesn't happen.

The Cardinals lost their RISP hitting in the playoffs last year. If they don't have it in the season this coming year, they are going to have to lean very heavily on their pitching.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're deep but when was the last the favorite at the start of the season ran away from the division? That usually doesn't happen.

The Cardinals lost their RISP hitting in the playoffs last year. If they don't have it in the season this coming year, they are going to have to lean very heavily on their pitching.

Even if they have typical RISP hitting, they have enough guys who are very adept at getting on base in their lineup that they'll still be the best offense in the NL Central. And their rotation is a rotation which they can lean on if they have to.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they have typical RISP hitting, they have enough guys who are very adept at getting on base in their lineup that they'll still be the best offense in the NL Central. And their rotation is a rotation which they can lean on if they have to.
Yeah, like the playoffs last year.

All I know is that the Pirates were one at bat away from beating the Cardinals last year...its not like there is this massive gap and one injury or hot player could swing the division. The Cardinals are just probably guaranteed to be in the mix because of their depth

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never said they would run away with the division but they are much better than the rest. With all being equal and everything goes to plan (yeah I know it never does) I don't see how any team could have more wins than the Cards.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for my Reds to win it. But this is how I have the division at end of season
1.Reds
2.Cards
3.Brewers
4.Pirates
5.Cubs

I really think Cubs might push Pirates for 4th spot though. I don't see how Pirates are gonna score, I really don't.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for my Reds to win it. But this is how I have the division at end of season
1.Reds
2.Cards
3.Brewers
4.Pirates
5.Cubs

I really think Cubs might push Pirates for 4th spot though. I don't see how Pirates are gonna score, I really don't.

But the Reds lineup, which lost Choo, isn't a concern whatsoever. Lol okay. And I think most projections have the Pirates scoring just as many runs as the Reds, if not more. The Reds had a team OPS nine points higher, and that's not even taking park factors into account.

edit: ZiPS has the Reds scoring around 3.97 R/G. Pirates at 4.01. PECOTA has the Pirates scoring 653 runs. The Reds at 661. Both of which are about middle of the pack in the NL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Reds
2.Cards
3.Brewers
4.Pirates
5.Cubs

images

Also, Mercer is better offensively than Barmes, and he'll be the starter from the beginning of the season this year, Marte has a chance of being better offensively this year in his second full season, Pedro could be poised for a breakout between last postseason and his performance so far this spring, and they're above average at 2B with Walker. The Pirates have a good chance of being better offensively this season than last.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

Also, Mercer is better offensively than Barmes, and he'll be the starter from the beginning of the season this year, Marte has a chance of being better offensively this year in his second full season, Pedro could be poised for a breakout between last postseason and his performance so far this spring, and they're above average at 2B with Walker. The Pirates have a good chance of being better offensively this season than last.

Agreed. There's considerable upside. Even if Mercer regresses, he should still be much better offensively than Barmes was (.211/.249/.309, 58 OPS+).

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds just lose Choo in the lineup, and if Bham can find away on base,which he has done in Spring (That's not saying much though) I think Billy Hamilton is better for this club,In many different ways. Other then Reds just losing Choo. Here is what Pirates lost.
Justin Mornue
Marlon Byrd
Garrett Jones
Michael Mckenry
John Buck
This is a lot of loses, The management knows that there gonna have problems, which is why Pirates was talking to Kendrys Morales.