• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for Jonathan Martin.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners are giving up a conditional pick which means either 6th or 7th rd pick. Read the rest of the thread if you're still confused.
A conditional pick ,I know. I might have seen that on the general board hence my comment. My bad.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Niners are giving up a conditional pick which means either 6th or 7th rd pick. Read the rest of the thread if you're still confused.

Not sure if I'm reading the above correctly, but a conditional pick can be from any round, and basically any condition. For instance, the Niners got a conditional pick in this year's draft in the Alex Smith trade. The condition was whether the Chiefs made the playoffs, so the pick became a second instead of a third. The rumors re: the Martin pick have all been a conditional 7th rounder next year, with the condition that Martin is on the opening day roster. I definitely can't see them giving up a third or fourth for a player who couldn't have been all that much in demand, and obviously wasn't going to return to his former team.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Martin trade value was conditional 2015 7th rder. which equates to an 8th rder in current value terms. nd the condition is he makes it on the 2014 53 man roster. Cant get any cheaper than an 8th rder. A plain out steal if he makes the team or not. Classic buy low scoupa de joura..

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible that Gabbert will be a great back-up. Where does that leave Kap? He will earn less this season.
Kaep aint starving! He is set. Free McDonalds cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets for life!

Gabbert was bad on a bad team. Not making excuses for him, but with a great team around him and good coaching I am thinking he could become the perfect ball control backup. Far more potential than Colt McCoy. Also it is possible the 49ers will draft a QB. All is not lost, just some nice depth moves.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep aint starving! He is set. Free McDonalds cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets for life!

Gabbert was bad on a bad team. Not making excuses for him, but with a great team around him and good coaching I am thinking he could become the perfect ball control backup. Far more potential than Colt McCoy. Also it is possible the 49ers will draft a QB. All is not lost, just some nice depth moves.

The biggest asset he has over McCoy is size. 6'5" compared to 6'0"

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd rather have Gabbert than McCarron for a ball control backup roll, and McCarron's going way ahead of that 6th Rd pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:lol: I'm good. I'm just not a 'In Baalke We Trust' homer fan. I question moves that I feel aren't the best that could have been done. These two FA signings could have been picked in the upcoming draft to better the team IMO. I guess we needed a vet. QB but Gabbert wasn't on anyones radar here I'm sure. I don't even consider him a veteran.

Nothing about these moves prevents us from picking guys up at the same positions in the draft. We don't owe either player any money if they don't make the roster, and the trade value was low. These are very low-cost trades, basically picks we would use on roster fodder or to move up a couple spots in the 4th or 5th round. Even if these guys never suit up, we haven't really lost anything. Both players are long shots, but so are the players that would be drafted with the picks we used. And these guys almost certainly have more natural talent. I'm not incredibly excited about either guy, but there's virtually no drawback in giving them a shot.

My understanding is that Gabbert will be asked to take a paycut. Not sure on Martin, but he's scheduled to make around $850K, and minimum for a third-year player is $570K, so he's pretty cheap.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest asset he has over McCoy is size. 6'5" compared to 6'0"
And a stronger arm. and great hair. Never forget the hair.

I will say this for McCoy, in the preseason, despite poor pass protection he didnt go down easy. He has nice escape ability.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing about these moves prevents us from picking guys up at the same positions in the draft. We don't owe either player any money if they don't make the roster, and the trade value was low. These are very low-cost trades, basically picks we would use on roster fodder or to move up a couple spots in the 4th or 5th round. Even if these guys never suit up, we haven't really lost anything. Both players are long shots, but so are the players that would be drafted with the picks we used. And these guys almost certainly have more natural talent. I'm not incredibly excited about either guy, but there's virtually no drawback in giving them a shot.

My understanding is that Gabbert will be asked to take a paycut. Not sure on Martin, but he's scheduled to make around $850K, and minimum for a third-year player is $570K, so he's pretty cheap.
Is Martin really a long shot though? Maybe as a starter for this team, but looking at the roster now I have a hard time imagining he isnt on the opening day roster as a back up. He has far more potential than Snyder. Right now, I view him as a possibly better, a bit younger, Snyder.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Martin really a long shot though? Maybe as a starter for this team, but looking at the roster now I have a hard time imagining he isnt on the opening day roster as a back up. He has far more potential than Snyder. Right now, I view him as a possibly better, a bit younger, Snyder.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately he doesn't play the same position as Snyder.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is Martin really a long shot though? Maybe as a starter for this team, but looking at the roster now I have a hard time imagining he isnt on the opening day roster as a back up. He has far more potential than Snyder. Right now, I view him as a possibly better, a bit younger, Snyder.

To some extent. He's got some baggage, no ignoring it. He'll have to earn a spot and maybe then some. Though neither is a long shot to make the team, I meant more a long shot to be a starter/impact player.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is Martin really a long shot though? Maybe as a starter for this team, but looking at the roster now I have a hard time imagining he isnt on the opening day roster as a back up. He has far more potential than Snyder. Right now, I view him as a possibly better, a bit younger, Snyder.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't? What position does Snyder play?

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he is an OT that can play both RT and LT. Wouldnt be surprised at all if he gets kicked inside to guard at some point. Maybe even at C, he went to Stanford so i assume he is a smart guy. Adam Snyder has and can play all Oline positions. That is pretty much Snyders role with the Niners. He is a guy that if needed can play any position on Sunday.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His position is on his knees smoking pole. Gotta be the only reason he has a contract with us AGAIN.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To some extent. He's got some baggage, no ignoring it. He'll have to earn a spot and maybe then some. Though neither is a long shot to make the team, I meant more a long shot to be a starter/impact player.
I agree. I think they both make the roster but neither will have an impact baring injury. At least not this season in Martin's case. By that I mean Gabbert will likely be nothing more then a back but maybe in future Martin could take over somewhere in a starting role. Maybe.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is an OT that can play both RT and LT. Wouldnt be surprised at all if he gets kicked inside to guard at some point. Maybe even at C, he went to Stanford so i assume he is a smart guy. Adam Snyder has and can play all Oline positions. That is pretty much Snyders role with the Niners. He is a guy that if needed can play any position on Sunday.
By "He" I mean Martin

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I thought Snyder's position was, "Oh shit, we lost a starting OL. Snyder, get in there and try not to screw things up!"

On a semi-serious note, Snyder was a college OT who started out at OT in the NFL, kind of found a home at OG, but has really made a living from being passable - and at times just barely - at several OL spots. I think Martin is fairly well suited to that role.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is an OT that can play both RT and LT. Wouldnt be surprised at all if he gets kicked inside to guard at some point. Maybe even at C, he went to Stanford so i assume he is a smart guy. Adam Snyder has and can play all Oline positions. That is pretty much Snyders role with the Niners. He is a guy that if needed can play any position on Sunday.

Sign me up. I can also play horribly in any position on the O-Line, and for a fraction of the cost.