• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade for Jonathan Martin.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're thinking of compensatory picks. Conditional are different.

Exactly. Isn't it possible this is a conditional 7th round pick that turns into something higher if he plays a certain amount of snaps or starts a certain amount of games? I understand getting upset at it being for a 3rd, but until the details come out I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess we won't be seeing Incognito in a Niner uniform... Sorry, Sickness...

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a 7th. You really think they would trade a mid level pick for a guy who they would have just released.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly. Isn't it possible this is a conditional 7th round pick that turns into something higher if he plays a certain amount of snaps or starts a certain amount of games? I understand getting upset at it being for a 3rd, but until the details come out I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

I had a brain fart and read it as a comp pick. I'm okay with it being a conditional pick.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could you please refresh me in the difference?

Compensatory picks - 32 compensatory picks are awarded each year to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year. They cannot be traded. The order of the picks is determined by a formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. They start at the end of the 3rd round and go through the 7th round.

Conditional picks - A conditional draft pick is a pick that could be in any round but the two teams agree upon the condition or conditions in which the final pick or picks will be. Example: 49ers say to the Dolphins we'll trade a 6th for Martin but we'll give you a 5th if Martin plays in X number of snaps or starts X number of games. It could be any condition(s) like that.

My guess (and hope now that it's happened) is that it's a 7th that could turn into a 6th but I hope it's not easy to turn it into a 6th.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm refreshing my own memory here. Parys and Cam Johnson were both traded last year for 7th round picks which were conditional on them making the roster. I'm sure the Martin trade is along those lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compensatory picks - 32 compensatory picks are awarded each year to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year. They cannot be traded. The order of the picks is determined by a formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. They start at the end of the 3rd round and go through the 7th round.

Conditional picks - A conditional draft pick is a pick that could be in any round but the two teams agree upon the condition or conditions in which the final pick or picks will be. Example: 49ers say to the Dolphins we'll trade a 6th for Martin but we'll give you a 5th if Martin plays in X number of snaps or starts X number of games. It could be any condition(s) like that.

My guess (and hope now that it's happened) is that it's a 7th that could turn into a 6th but I hope it's not easy to turn it into a 6th.

Ah ok. So it has to be for the 2015 or 2016 draft then, right? Thanks for taking the time to explain.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's probably a 7th conditional on whether or not he makes the 53-man roster.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So it's a 2015 draft pick if it's a conditional pick am I right?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's next, drafting Michael Sam? God, I hope not. That's just too much drama for any team to withstand.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way its more then a 6th round pick, my guess is that its a 7th. Honestly, the kid has some talent and with this locker room this could be pretty sweet for us.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL network said most likely a 2015 6th rd pick conditional on amount of snaps he plays or if he makes the 53 roster.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising since Harbaugh defended JMart during the whole bullying fiasco.

I know some people are in the range of iffy-to-upset about this, but at least hes better than Snyder. AND hes added insurance behind Iupati.