• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners' OL best in the game

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gets credit for Iupati and Davis? Singletary or Baalke? or McBoozehound? Singletary wanted O-Line, O-Line, 0-Line and I believe he had the final say on all football decisions after McBoozy quit... but I remember some article saying Baalke graded that draft and set up the board. Which is probably why picking Mays made Trent so mad...

I know Singletary was instrumental in vetting and scouting process for each player on both the front end as well as during draft day. If I could give credit to only one person I would probably give it to Singletary.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Singletary was instrumental in vetting and scouting process for each player on both the front end as well as during draft day. If I could give credit to only one person I would probably give it to Singletary.

When you say he was instrumental in vetting and scouting, do you mean he steered the 49ers ship to focus on finding the best offensive lineman for that draft? Cause, I'd agree with that... I mean, that draft really had Singletary stamped all over it with what he wanted the offense identity to be, the ground and pound.

Singletary forced it, but Baalke is the guy who chose Davis over Baluga, according to the article I read that said Baalke set up the draft board... and Iupati was the easy pick. Granted, Baluga hasn't been a huge failure, but the Seahawks abused him for 3 sacks and I think the Colts beat him a few times too... so Baalke should get some credit for in my opinion making the right choice. Although, we do owe Singletary for making the O-Line a priority.

Sing sucked as a coach in terms of X's and O's, but he contributed a lot to this team. Squared VD away, and set these 49ers up with a bombastic offensive line. Although granted, he encouraged the 49ers to pass on Willis and chose Mays over Bowman.. which might have been what pissed off Trent the most.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say he was instrumental in vetting and scouting, do you mean he steered the 49ers ship to focus on finding the best offensive lineman for that draft? Cause, I'd agree with that... I mean, that draft really had Singletary stamped all over it with what he wanted the offense identity to be, the ground and pound.

Singletary forced it, but Baalke is the guy who chose Davis over Baluga, according to the article I read that said Baalke set up the draft board... and Iupati was the easy pick. Granted, Baluga hasn't been a huge failure, but the Seahawks abused him for 3 sacks and I think the Colts beat him a few times too... so Baalke should get some credit for in my opinion making the right choice. Although, we do owe Singletary for making the O-Line a priority.

Sing sucked as a coach in terms of X's and O's, but he contributed a lot to this team. Squared VD away, and set these 49ers up with a bombastic offensive line. Although granted, he encouraged the 49ers to pass on Willis and chose Mays over Bowman.. which might have been what pissed off Trent the most.

Yeah, exactly. I think T.Williams was on Sing's radar as well - but overall I agree Sing did do some very good things for our team - coaching it just wasn't one of them.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when it came to mays, he shoulda said 'stfu and learn to coach'

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

lets give a LITTLE credit to McCloughan who the year before, traded for the pick that become Iupati.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Who gets credit for Iupati and Davis? Singletary or Baalke? or McBoozehound? Singletary wanted O-Line, O-Line, 0-Line and I believe he had the final say on all football decisions after McBoozy quit... but I remember some article saying Baalke graded that draft and set up the board. Which is probably why picking Mays made Trent so mad...

Probably a little of all 3 but I would say mostly Singletary and Baalke.

I think Davis would've been Baalke's pick even if Singletary wasn't in the picture. Davis fits the Baalke mold in being a young guy that's a little raw but with high upside. But the way our draft worked was heavily influenced by what Singletary wanted so it's questionable if he would've used both 1st round picks on offensive linemen.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets give a LITTLE credit to McCloughan who the year before, traded for the pick that become Iupati.

I'm sure Scot McCloughan's influence was felt, just not sure to what degree. I suspect it would be rather small considering he was gone before the draft and the circumstances surrounding his departure.

The 2010 draft was largely Baalke, Singletary and the coaches responsibility. As for the draft trade, Scot gets credit for making a good draft day trade but zero credit for picking Iupati.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure Scot McCloughan's influence was felt, just not sure to what degree. I suspect it would be rather small considering he was gone before the draft and the circumstances surrounding his departure.

The 2010 draft was largely Baalke, Singletary and the coaches responsibility. As for the draft trade, Scot gets credit for making a good draft day trade but zero credit for picking Iupati.

i meant a little credit for making that 17th pick available for 2010, not the decision making.

we'll always attribute the 2009 class to McCloughan....as it stands without the pick traded away. whereas in 2010, Baalke looks better by having that #17 at his disposal.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i meant a little credit for making that 17th pick available for 2010, not the decision making.

we'll always attribute the 2009 class to McCloughan....as it stands without the pick traded away. whereas in 2010, Baalke looks better by having that #17 at his disposal.

Your perspective is inside out - 1st McCloughan didn't make the 17th pick available he made 'another first round pick' available. Yes, he chose a draft partner (Carolina) he felt would give us the best return for our two picks and I think it worked out to our benefit.

Secondly, Ballke does not look better because he had the 17th pick at his disposal, he looks better because he chose or agreed to take Iupati with the 17th pick. Why are you attempting to twist things in order to diminish what Baalke has done? Why do you not like him?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hmmmm... Let's do a what if scenario here... What if Crabtree did not fall to #10? The Niners would have picked Oher as rumored and would still be looking for a WR which was a need during that time... Would the Niners give up their second round pick at that point or would they have used it for a WR? Countless possibilities of woulda, coulda, shoulda, but bottom line, events fell as they did and McCloughan was replaced prior to the 2010 draft... If he was still there instead of Baalke, I don't see him grabbing both Davis and Iupati in the same round

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@PFF_Neil
Just how good is the #49ers OL? Through W5, Staley is our #2 rated LT, Davis our #2 RT, Iupati, Boone & Goodwin all top rated at their pos.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't envision Boone being that big of an upgrade (this soon at least) over Rachal/Snyder, but he has been stellar. Boone and Davis really seem to work well together.

The performance of the oline against the Bills was one of the most dominating performances I've seen from a Niner oline in recent memory.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/11/marquee-massacre/

"Only 93 of the 49ers’ 311 rushing yards came after contact — which means that on average a Buffalo defender didn’t touch the 49ers ball carrier until he had already gained 5.7 yards. By comparison the league average so far this season is around 1.7 yards before contact"

Great read. Our run blocking as been nothing short of beastly.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The most amazing thing about our run blocking is how well we get to the second level. Our linemen are consistently in the 2nd and 3rd levels looking for blocks.

What amazes me is why haven't more teams tried to copy our approach. If I'm a team like the Jets and looking to be ground and pound I would be looking to copy our approach to the run game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The most amazing thing about our run blocking is how well we get to the second level. Our linemen are consistently in the 2nd and 3rd levels looking for blocks.

What amazes me is why haven't more teams tried to copy our approach. If I'm a team like the Jets and looking to be ground and pound I would be looking to copy our approach to the run game.

you first need the type of linemen who fit? ie you need pretty talented linemen all around. we used 1st round draft picks for three of these five guys, quite a commitment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Your perspective is inside out - 1st McCloughan didn't make the 17th pick available he made 'another first round pick' available. Yes, he chose a draft partner (Carolina) he felt would give us the best return for our two picks and I think it worked out to our benefit.

Secondly, Ballke does not look better because he had the 17th pick at his disposal, he looks better because he chose or agreed to take Iupati with the 17th pick. Why are you attempting to twist things in order to diminish what Baalke has done? Why do you not like him?

geezus.......

"inside out"??!! geezus.........

who said i don't like Baalke? oh yeah....you.

i'm just trying to give a little credit where credit is due. McCloughan's draft class looks a little worse in 2009, and Baalke's a little better in 2010, ok? are your semantics so critical here?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geezus.......

"inside out"??!! geezus.........

who said i don't like Baalke? oh yeah....you.

i'm just trying to give a little credit where credit is due. McCloughan's draft class looks a little worse in 2009, and Baalke's a little better in 2010, ok? are your semantics so critical here?

Calm down Jackson - Nobody is taking credit away from Scot and the only one diminishing credit is you. Look, you seem to have a strong track record of dissent with our GM's and without reason; so yes, when you do that with your semantics and I catch it then I will call you out on it and I think that's fair. Don't you?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you are talking about OL when referencing the Jets, but IMO their issue is piss poor talent at RB, not necesarily their OL. Once they let Thomas Jones go, their running attack went downhill. Yes, they could use upgrades on their OL as well, but if your primary RB is Greene, you are in trouble!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know you are talking about OL when referencing the Jets, but IMO their issue is piss poor talent at RB, not necesarily their OL. Once they let Thomas Jones go, their running attack went downhill. Yes, they could use upgrades on their OL as well, but if your primary RB is Greene, you are in trouble!

Even Greene could look like a star behind the gaping holes our offensive line makes.

Clearly the wouldn't be as good as we are at running our running offense but they could help themselves with scheme like we do with ours.

We have talent on our offensive line but it's massive success is coming from our various schemes and formations to maximize their talents to allow them to get big holes and get to the next level and block.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Calm down Jackson - Nobody is taking credit away from Scot and the only one diminishing credit is you. Look, you seem to have a strong track record of dissent with our GM's and without reason; so yes, when you do that with your semantics and I catch it then I will call you out on it and I think that's fair. Don't you?

"diminishing credit"? wow.....see the stuff you write and then tell me to calm down?

"strong track record of dissent"? whaaa??!! is this one of those "you said it for me" things......again? i comment on our FO same as the majority, but i have NOT been CLOSE to "strong track record of dissent".

so you're saying things on my behalf AND then calling me out on it.......oh great. so NO, i don't think thats fair.

all i did was say the 17th pick in 2010 came about from 2009, granted i could've said it better. but then you jump all over it like i was ranting or something? you act like its 100% Ballke so don't dare take a little credit away. you take it up a notch and then tell me to calm down???