• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners need a hired gun on defense

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And even if our comparison point is the last game this team played, rather than the entire season, you're talking about a team that came within one or two plays from beating the league champions, in the most hostile road environment in the league. That's despite the young starting QB suffering a 4th quarter meltdown, and losing two pro bowlers during the game. Even if we're slightly worse next year, we're still in serious contention without adding a pricey, short-term piece. And if we hold off from doing that, we'll be able to retain one or two younger, homegrown talents.

To add Seattle was our 4th straight road game which had a stretch of easily 3 of the Top 5 defenses in the league (Seahawks, Cards, Panthers) and a terribly cold game against the Pack while the Seahawks were on their 4th straight home game that included a bye week.

Kaepexcuses. Just kidding. I like Kaepernick and think he will do well, though I wouldn't call myself an expert on QBs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You still don't get it, in order to get a "shut down" corner in FA you are going to break the bank. Then we don't have the money to resign Boldin, Dixon, a new center, Dawson, Whitner or brown!
So you want one guy who may or may not be able to be a shut down corner on this team over resigning several guys who are key to our team???

Yeah, if it's a question of Peppers vs. say Boldin and Whitner, I'd take the latter. More importantly, if we're talking Peppers at the expense of Aldon, Iupati, or Crabtree, then I definitely say no.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yep. Young players who have been exclusively backups and STs players step into starting roles and can surprise. .

They can, but they usually don't.

We're hardly comparing Peppers to an empty roster spot. Where does he play? Does he move J. Smith, McDonald, Aldon, or Brooks to the bench? Is he markedly better than one of those guys at this point?

The argument he was making was that it's somehow contradictory to say the Niners' talent level is trending downwards with wanting to sign an aging veteran. One has nothing to do with the other.

I honestly have no idea how much money Julius Peppers would want this offseason. Richard Seymour wanted so much money that he priced himself into retirement. And I was honestly just throwing his name into the mix because he's going to be cut this offseason. I'm much more interested in getting a CB like Revis or Cromartie.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it!! egt it right!!! it's Kaepologies hehehe

I thought that was Kaepersexuals. (For those unfamiliar, and it'd be surprising if one had followed this team on message boards and did not know, but they used to be Alexcuses (defenses) and Alexsexuals (apologists). Not sure how the second came up because at least Alexcuses overlaps the two words.)

I like Kaepologists. It sounds like a position, like psychologist or meteorologist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, by the logic that we're declining, the Hawks are too. And probably at a faster pace.

LT: same
LG: same
C: same or declining.
RG: same
RT: ???
RB: Declining talent (Lynch).
WR: ???
WR: Harvin - improving, if he can stay healthy
TE: Declining talent (Miller, if he even returns)
FB: same

LDE: ??? (entirely possible they lose both Bryant and Bennett)
LDT: ???
RDT: Declining talent (Mebane)
RDE: Declining talent (Clemmons/Avril)
LOLB: Improving (Irvin)
MLB: same
ROLB: same

FS: same
SS: same
CB: same
CB: ??? Tough position to evaluate as they started with Browner, ended with Maxwell who is a FA, though Lane showed pretty well. OT: the Hawks' official depth chart still lists Perrish Cox. Whoops.

If an all pro player has peaked, the only guy I see as clearly improving for the Hawks is Irvin. Their FAs include their best pass rusher, and starters at WR, RT, LDT, and CB. There is also a strong likelihood that they will lose some/all of their starting TE, LDE, RDE, and possibly RDT for salary cap reasons.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I honestly have no idea how much money Julius Peppers would want this offseason. Richard Seymour wanted so much money that he priced himself into retirement. And I was honestly just throwing his name into the mix because he's going to be cut this offseason. I'm much more interested in getting a CB like Revis or Cromartie.

None of that answers where he would play. Does he bump Justin to the bench? Do you rotate them? Is that a marked improvement?

The Revis question is a different one, as CB is a much more glaring need right now. But he's also going to be much more expensive. I'd rather lock up one of our young players so the team isn't one year and done.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Football Retarded! ! That was funny SickNess. & TT is right Seattle finds those guys. So when will we start.

A few thoughts.

First, we have found some of those guys. Boone, Bowman, and McDonald were all later-round picks who have become pro bowl caliber players. Brown was a later-round pick who has become a solid starter. Miller was a late-round pick who became an impact player, granted at a less coveted position. Brooks was an undesired FA who has blossomed. Rogers, Whitner, and Dorsey kind of fit that mold as well.

Second, we have an inordinate number of positions occupied by first-round picks, due to having multiple picks in several drafts and Baalke's predilection for going after former first rounders in FA. We start nine first rounders that we drafted (Staley, Iupati, A. Davis, V. Davis, Crabtree, A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Reid), and four (J. Smith, Dorsey, Rogers, Whitner) that were drafted by other teams. It is hard for later-round picks to make our team because we have a lot of very high picks starting.

The Hawks have had some success with first round picks, but they have been forced to find talent later to a much greater degree. And they have done a nice job of that, particularly on defense and specifically in the secondary.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
None of that answers where he would play. Does he bump Justin to the bench? Do you rotate them? Is that a marked improvement?

The Revis question is a different one, as CB is a much more glaring need right now. But he's also going to be much more expensive. I'd rather lock up one of our young players so the team isn't one year and done.[/QUOTE]

It would depend on Tank Carradine where & how often he would play. So I don't know. But either way, I want the Niners to get one more D-lineman this offseason, and if Peppers were cheap enough I think he'd be a welcome addition. But like I said, I'm more interested in a CB.

And keep mind if the Buccs were willing to trade Revis he'd have a zero cap hit if the Niners were to let him go in the future. I would see it as a short-term thing. 1 or 2 years max.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Revis question is a different one, as CB is a much more glaring need right now. But he's also going to be much more expensive. I'd rather lock up one of our young players so the team isn't one year and done.

It would depend on Tank Carradine where & how often he would play. So I don't know. But either way, I want the Niners to get one more D-lineman this offseason, and if Peppers were cheap enough I think he'd be a welcome addition. But like I said, I'm more interested in a CB.

And keep mind if the Buccs were willing to trade Revis he'd have a zero cap hit if the Niners were to let him go in the future. I would see it as a short-term thing. 1 or 2 years max.[/QUOTE]

Again, I just don't see Peppers. He'd be a role player, and he's still going to get decent money, most likely.

As for Revis, his deal is much less complicated than I figured it would be. And the Bucs can move him easily. It's a possibility for the Niners, but to make it happen they'd likely have to watch two of the Aldon, Iupati, Crabtree group move on. At a minimum. Obviously Aldon heads that list, so Crabtree and Iupati are both likely gone. We'd obviously have to cut Rogers, probably cut Gore, and possibly have to ask someone else to restructure or cut them.

I think we're better served by locking up our young talent and working to find more, allowing us to remain competitive for several years rather than selling out for a single push at a SB. Though I'm somewhat more optimistic about Kaerpernick than you are, in that I believe he is still improving.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would let Whitner and Brown walk, and I would bring in Vontae Davis and a 2nd round rookie SS.
I would also wait and as insurance pick up a veteran SS at the league minimum, some guy that gets cut in the preseason for salary cap purposes.

So Vontae Davis is my hired gun on defense. :-)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would let Whitner and Brown walk, and I would bring in Vontae Davis and a 2nd round rookie SS.
I would also wait and as insurance pick up a veteran SS at the league minimum, some guy that gets cut in the preseason for salary cap purposes.

I don't really have a problem with that. I'm not sure it's my favourite plan of action, but it'd certainly be better than settling for Tarrell Brown.

I'd rather have Cromartie, but he won't come cheap of course. However, he'd help the comp' pick formula whereas Vontae would hurt it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's basically what we have in Dahl, though we could certainly upgrade that spot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find that even Dahl is overpaid. I'd love to replace him with someone cheaper.

Yeah, no argument here. When we brought him in, I think he was our worst-case-scenario plan as the starting FS, and we paid him accordingly.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Dahl is overpaid then draft two safeties, one high and one with a late pick, and then let them battle it out in training camp. Then we'd have Reid and high round SS, and let Dahl, Spillman, additional rookie(s) battle for 2 more roster spots.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also take TJ Ward over Byrd but we couldn't hope to afford either of them.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dahl is overpaid then draft two safeties, one high and one with a late pick, and then let them battle it out in training camp. Then we'd have Reid and high round SS, and let Dahl, Spillman, additional rookie(s) battle for 2 more roster spots.

This has been my plan if Whitner walks. I'd definitely cut Dahl and keep Spillman.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll throw up if Dahl makes the roster. That guy is BAD.