• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners need a hired gun on defense

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll throw up if Dahl makes the roster. That guy is BAD.

I actually like him on ST but he doesn't really do anything that someone else couldn't do, ST is about effort and discipline and you can teach that to just about any S that you draft. He isn't good on defense at all.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got something better than a hired gun
how about a :laser:

BOOM :tj:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't consider him a hired gun (more like a Saturday night special), but I wonder how much Will Smith would cost to bring in.

Probably way too much, but ya never know; he'll be 33 this Summer.

Even when Tank pans out (which he will), I think the Niners could use one more good DL. I love me some Dominique Easley, but he might nit play his first year.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't made a good argument to send that the overall talent on the team in 2014 is trending downwards. All you've done is say that the older players are declining (some are) and that the younger players (starters) won't get any better (some will), that doesn't really prove anything it is simply an opinion of yours.

The only player on the 49ers defense that is aging (NOT declining) is Justin Smith. He had a very good 2013 with 6.5 sacks and was ALL Pro again. Statistically, he had a better 2013 than 2012...Everyone else on defense is not even 30 yet. Willis is 29 and had an off year by his standards but that was more due to the nagging injuries.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The only player on the 49ers defense that is aging (NOT declining) is Justin Smith. He had a very good 2013 with 6.5 sacks and was ALL Pro again. Statistically, he had a better 2013 than 2012...Everyone else on defense is not even 30 yet. Willis is 29 and had an off year by his standards but that was more due to the nagging injuries.

There's also Bowman's ACL / MCL tear and 3 empty holes in the secondary. Lots of unknowns at this point.

At least Reid should be even better than he was this year, and he was already one of the best in the game. Hope he doesn't get any more concussions.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep in mind Justin played less snaps this year keeping him fresh and his arm wasn't hurt like last year, granted that was only part of the year.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also Bowman's ACL / MCL tear and 3 empty holes in the secondary. Lots of unknowns at this point.

At least Reid should be even better than he was this year, and he was already one of the best in the game. Hope he doesn't get any more concussions.

Dude how do you figure 3 empty holes in teh secondary?....Reid starts at FS, Tramaine Brock will start at RCB. He was our best corner last year and got a 4 year contract extension remember? Chris Culliver will be competing at the other CB spot. The team will probably bring in a vet (assuming Rogers is released and Brown leaves), and the draft is very deep in the position this year. So we should be ok. As for SS, I hope they bring Whitner back at the right price of course. If not, I have faith in Baalke that he will bring in a good safety...As for Bowman, he is expected to make a full recovery, as to how soon he will be ready, no one knows yet, but at the worst he may miss a few games. Wilhoite is a very capable fill in until Bowman comes back.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind Justin played less snaps this year keeping him fresh and his arm wasn't hurt like last year, granted that was only part of the year.

Right on. I love the deph on the DLine with Tony Jerod, Dobbs, and Tank this year. Ian Williams will be back for deph at NT, and there is also Quinton Dial.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Dude how do you figure 3 empty holes in teh secondary?....Reid starts at FS, Tramaine Brock will start at RCB. He was our best corner last year and got a 4 year contract extension remember? Chris Culliver will be competing at the other CB spot.

So guys who weren't good enough to win a starting job before are the guys slotted to start now. Great.

The team will probably bring in a vet (assuming Rogers is released and Brown leaves), and the draft is very deep in the position this year. So we should be ok.

OK doesn't equal as good or better than last year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think of Delmas? He could be a lot cheaper than Whitner.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So it's impossible for young guys to develop and improve?

"improve" doesn't necessarily equal as good as or better than Tarrell Brown & Carlos Rogers over the last 3 years.

I like Culliver & want the Niners to sign him long term. I hope he's better than the aforementioned starters, but that's a huge question mark (especially if he's coming off an ACL tear).

Brock, on the other hand? He's probably about as good as he's going to be by now. He's been in the league for 4 years, and he already has a long-term deal.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"improve" doesn't necessarily equal as good as or better than Tarrell Brown & Carlos Rogers over the last 3 years.

I like Culliver & want the Niners to sign him long term. I hope he's better than the aforementioned starters, but that's a huge question mark (especially if he's coming off an ACL tear).

Brock, on the other hand? He's probably about as good as he's going to be by now. He's been in the league for 4 years, and he already has a long-term deal.

See, I disagree with that. Brock has been in the league awhile, but he has limited game-time experience at CB. He was also coming from a much lower level of competition in college. He has a lot of room to continue to improve, and should do so. He probably won't be better than 2011 Carlos Rogers, but I think he'll be better than 2013 Rogers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bump.

I think it's fair to say I was right that the overall talent of the team was trending downward last offseason.

I know exactly what his positives are. When he has a lot of time to throw he can get it anywhere on the field on a rope. He's maybe the best running QB in the league. He can throw an out as well as anyone in the NFL. His receivers don't need to be open by a huge margin 'cause the ball gets there so fast.

That said he's football retarded, and he's made zero progress on the mistakes he's constantly made over the course of his career. He has atrocious pocket awareness. He's not good at eluding pressure without tucking the ball and running. He's terrible at reading a defense once the ball has been snapped. He can't think fast enough to go through his progressions. Dilfer was right: he's a 1-read QB. That's not exactly a rare thing to find in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bump.

I think it's fair to say I was right that the overall talent of the team was trending downward last offseason.

that post is about Kaep, not overall talent?

it might be argued the overall talent got better, due to the good play of the rookie class. ie the depth got stronger. Injuries played a role this season, and that is hard to factor into the overall talent.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that post is about Kaep, not overall talent?

it might be argued the overall talent got better, due to the good play of the rookie class. ie the depth got stronger. Injuries played a role this season, and that is hard to factor into the overall talent.

:agree:

With all the injuries, hard to compare. Leaving out Kaep because that horse is been beatin to death, I like the secondary more this year than last. Bethea has been an upgrade over Whitner. Cox has been really good. Brock has been injured this year, but he was the best corner last year and can be good again. Better group than Brown and especially Carlos Rogers. Ward is still a question mark. Linebackers are the same starters although injured. Added Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch. Carlos Hyde we don't know yet, but Hyde does look promising. Offensive line. It could be even better with Martin at center withe experience. Martin sux but he will be on the bench at best next year if the Oline can get back to health. Iupati is a question mark. Dline, Dial has played well. Not sure about Carradine yet. Receiving corp is an issue. Crabtree is worse.