• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you think we could trade Rogers? What do you guys think we could get for him?

He's still a very good athlete and can be a starter in the league for at least 2 more years. Despite this fact, I don't think we would even be able to get anything more than a 5th round pick for a 32 year old corner. If we could keep him I would. He would strictly be our slot corner, allowing us to move Chris Culliver to FS to take over the vacant spot left by Dashon Goldson. Not sure we would be able to afford both Goldson and Revis.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a steal. It's a steal because I was willing to invest by giving up a little more. I would have given up Alex Smith AND our first. I've been reading people's whining in this thread as if Trent Baalke, Paraag Marathe, and Cipora Herman aren't magicians when operating the cap (player contracts). Alex Smith would have gotten released anyway, so his value to us is irrelevant and trading him is getting something/anything from a player we didn't anticipate in getting something out of due to him being released. Revis and Brown, would make this NFC Division one scary place to be with regard to DBs. The Seahawks, Cardninals, and Rams all have two amazing duos playing the corner position for them. It's time to catch up to them IMO.

I wouldn't assume that Smith will be cut. There's a pretty good chance that if the Niners can't get sufficient value for him that they'd keep him for the compensation pick they would receive when he walks as a FA next year. The total commitment to the QB position wouldn't be excessive from a cap perspective.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't assume that Smith will be cut. There's a pretty good chance that if the Niners can't get sufficient value for him that they'd keep him for the compensation pick they would receive when he walks as a FA next year. The total commitment to the QB position wouldn't be excessive from a cap perspective.

Obviously having a back up QB of Alex's caliber would be great, but wouldn't it make more sense to try to resign a guy like Iupati and front load it as much as possible with whatever we would save on Alex? Is Iupati going to command the kind of money that Carl Nicks got last year?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do that in a heart beat, then cut or trade Rogers if you could. But only way I do trade is if we work out a deal, and hopefully a no holdout clause (don't know if can be done) in that deal.

I don't think you can have a no holdout clause, but you can place a heavy penalty for doing so. In other words, holding out (violation of the clause) wouldn't void the contract but it would place more options with the team and more penalty to him if he did. Maybe limiting what he could get when he gets back and of course, not paying him when he's gone.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think you can have a no holdout clause, but you can place a heavy penalty for doing so. In other words, holding out (violation of the clause) wouldn't void the contract but it would place more options with the team and more penalty to him if he did. Maybe limiting what he could get when he gets back and of course, not paying him when he's gone.

The CBA dictates the fines for holdouts. The new CBA did make those fines a lot steeper, but the team can't dictate it in the contract.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The CBA dictates the fines for holdouts. The new CBA did make those fines a lot steeper, but the team can't dictate it in the contract.

Yup they went up to $40k/day (from $20k). I don't expect these increased fines to deter someone like Revis.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup they went up to $40k/day (from $20k). I don't expect these increased fines to deter someone like Revis.

I believe part of the negotiations with Jones-Drew this offseason was to waive those fines as well.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe part of the negotiations with Jones-Drew this offseason was to waive those fines as well.

Yeah, I heard of that. :L What's the point? I thought MJD's dispute was dumb - he got his money front loaded and then started this when he got to the end of the deal where it tapered off. I'm worth more than this! Yes, that's why they paid you so much earlier. And what pisses me off a bit, is that they told him that and he still was or played dumb. Then, I'd hear people say that his salary was too low. First of all, millions is never too low, but I digress. He got his! Did he come back to a better deal and recoup his fine money?

As far as I'm concerned, that money should have been gone, the cost of doing business, a real deterrent to holding out - and only if there was real cause should they return it. Of course, that would be a disagreement, too. But show up or get fined. Your agent can still negotiate with you there. But I suppose that's fruitless if you're performing. But that's what you consider when deciding to re-up or not. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can't say there's never a rightful holdout, it's just that this isn't it. I don't know what would be a rightful holdout, just not closing my mind off to it.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New ideas on Revis trade
February, 21, 2013 10:17AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

There are some inconvenient truths about the situation involving the New York Jets and star CB Darrelle Revis. Most central is the fact that the Jets are in rebuilding mode, which anyone not wearing green-tinted shades can readily see. For such a team, does it make sense to dole out a massive contract to a CB, no matter how good he is? That's the big question, and the answer to it will guide the Jets as they decide whether to market the Pittsburgh product in a trade this offseason.

Adam Schein of NFL.com opines that there are really only two options for the Jets, and they need to make the call soon: either re-sign Revis to that huge new contract, or trade him.

The good news is that despite Revis' season-ending ACL injury this past fall, there are going to be a lot of teams interested in acquiring him. Two interesting ideas from Schein: the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the San Francisco 49ers. We've heard the Niners mentioned before -- and some have even suggested a trade package coming over from San Francisco including QB Alex Smith -- and it's a possibility that makes a lot of sense: the Niners need an upgrade at CB, and they have a bevy of draft picks this offseason with which to work. As for the Bucs, Schein notes that Bucs HC Greg Schiano is a Revis fan, and it's no secret that Tampa Bay needs to upgrade the position this offseason. Tampa Bay also has a great deal of space under the projected salary cap, so doling out a monstrous new deal to Revis won't be as difficult as it would be for some other teams.

As crazy as it might've sounded just a year ago, it now seems very possible that we've seen the last of Darrelle Revis in a Jets uniform.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's hard for me to envision the Jets taking Smith if they are trying to clear salary and are rebuilding.

But I suppose on some level it makes sense because the Revis trade would be a much easier sell to fans if they are getting a starting QB out of it and something that improves the team that season. Especially to a fan base that at this point would take almost anyone over Sanchez at this point.

I do believe we can work a deal for Revis and the only hangup would be paying Revis the money he wants. The team is still loaded with talent and we're loaded with picks so it's not like we don't have the ammo to make a trade without it really hurting the team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard for me to envision the Jets taking Smith if they are trying to clear salary and are rebuilding.

But I suppose on some level it makes sense because the Revis trade would be a much easier sell to fans if they are getting a starting QB out of it and something that improves the team that season. Especially to a fan base that at this point would take almost anyone over Sanchez at this point.

I do believe we can work a deal for Revis and the only hangup would be paying Revis the money he wants. The team is still loaded with talent and we're loaded with picks so it's not like we don't have the ammo to make a trade without it really hurting the team.

If that happens, we'll see how serious Sanchez is about playing or not. How interested is he in his long-term future over short term pay? Still don't think he does anything. But if they trade for Alex, and if he has pride and confidence, there's an outside shot that a high buyout could happen - unless the Jets are on the hook salary cap wise regardless. I know if they trade him, he's a 17.8 or something hit and "only" an 8.something if not. But what about a buyout?

He's not paid 17.8 if he's traded, he just counts against the cap that much, right? So a buyout of let's say 4-5 million and him resigning somewhere else, maybe as starter for 5-7 million or 2-3 years (bench plus incentives), would be a net gain for all teams. He could play or have a better shot at long-term security if he earns it. Assuming there's a team that would gamble on him, which is not a good bet right now (maybe later after the options dwindle). Maybe he's waiting on Smith like Smith was waiting on Manning - not talking about worth or market, just heirarchy right now.

But if he wins the battle with Smith in that hypothetical competition, he could start for the Jets at full price and try to earn his future back. The Jets are dumb enough to pay Alex 7.5 million AND trade away Revis AND then start Sanchez after that, right? Or if he doesn't care about playing or is confident for next season, he can just sit back and collect the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind. Cutting him is 17.1 million. A buyout wouldn't be a cut. They'd rather pay him and keep him than pay more to cut him and let him go get more money elsewhere. So a buyout would avoid the 17.1, I think because it would be a settlement of the contract. But overall, it's best for Sanchez moneywise just to stay. It would take serious, "I want to play" to do such buyout. Otherwise, if Smith went there, compete and collect your check.

Making sense of the Sanchez cap hit | ProFootballTalk

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nevermind. Cutting him is 17.1 million. A buyout wouldn't be a cut. They'd rather pay him and keep him than pay more to cut him and let him go get more money elsewhere. So a buyout would avoid the 17.1, I think because it would be a settlement of the contract. But overall, it's best for Sanchez moneywise just to stay. It would take serious, "I want to play" to do such buyout. Otherwise, if Smith went there, compete and collect your check.

Making sense of the Sanchez cap hit | ProFootballTalk

how does a QB like Sanchez- IMO below NFL average - even get a contract like this?

or is it coaching thats making him look extra poor?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does a QB like Sanchez- IMO below NFL average - even get a contract like this?

or is it coaching thats making him look extra poor?

They were looking into Manning. Sanchez got sensitive (fan reporting a report, so I don't know the reliability of such statement). They extended his contract to add a cuttable year, but also increasing the guaranteed for this year and the cut clause - 17.1 if cut. He doesn't get paid 17.1 if cut, he just costs them that cap, as far as I know.

Then the Tebow thing happened, so people thought it was for that, but timewise - unless it were in anticipation - those two didn't have anything to do with it.

The answer to your question - blackmail or really stupid FO or both. What would Sanchez have done if they didn't extend him? Not work hard? Not show up? Get butthurt - sometimes FO's need to do what they did with Smith - give him a fair deal that lets him leave if not needed. The Niners could have forced a 3 million 2nd year with incentives. But it was fair.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter Blog
Chances Jets can trade Darrelle Revis
February, 27, 2013 9:10AM ET

Will the New York Jets be able to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis?

Q: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are in desperate need at the cornerback position. They also have a lot of cap space. What are the chances the Bucs go after Darrelle Revis? Will the New York Jets trade him?

-- Billy (Nevada)​

A: I might be alone here, Billy, but I view Revis as almost untradable. It's not that he's not good; it's the circumstances surrounding him. Any team that wants to trade for Revis is going to have to satisfy him with a new contract that makes him one of the highest -- if not the highest -- paid defensive player in the NFL. That's not going to be easy. Then the Jets are going to want back a handsome price for a player who has only one year left on his contract and is coming off a major knee injury. Most defensive backs never come back at the same level they were at before.

So what team is going to be willing to give Revis a contract north of $15 million per year, which deprives it of the ability to make moves with a handful of other key players, while surrendering that kind of compensation to the Jets? It would be great if the Jets could find a trade partner that could meet all those conditions -- they would love that. And why not? They would be able to get something back for a player who has health questions and is free to walk away from the team after next season. But it's hard to envision a scenario under which a Revis trade will work out. There will be no shortage of teams that would want to trade for Revis. But there will be an extreme shortage of teams that can make it happen.

--Adam Schefter​

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jets listening to offers for Revis?
February, 27, 2013 12:38PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The New York Jets-Darrelle Revis saga took another turn for the exciting at the scouting combine over the past week, as we knew it would. No, there's no new deal to report -- and a blockbuster contract might've stolen some thunder from Tom Brady and the Patriots. In fact, it's the outcome at the opposite end of the spectrum that has allegedly gained some steam.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, Jets GM John Idzik talked a potential Revis trade with multiple teams at the combine this past week, per a source. The source also categorized the talks as Idzik "actively" shopping the CB, and indicated that the other teams are now doing some work to figure out what it would take to sign Revis to a contract extension following a deal. Any team trading for Revis would thus need to have an extensive amount of cap space for this season, and projected for seasons ahead, depending upon how they structure the CB's deal.

Two teams with a sizable chunk of cap space that have been very public with their intentions to be spenders this offseason are the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers; as fate would have it, they also both need CB help. Whether they're willing to send an array of draft picks back to New York remains to be seen. Others previously speculated as potential Revis destinations include Denver, San Francisco and Seattle, the latter two of whom could offer the Jets a new QB (Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, respectively) as part of a trade.

It's important to remember that nothing can happen on the trade front until March 12, and we may be waiting quite a bit longer for anything to happen regardless. And there's also the possibility that the Jets figure out a way to keep Revis with them on a new deal, as Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com points out. Meanwhile, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter writes that there's an added wrinkle that complicates any potential deal involving Revis:

Rich Cimini
Latest on the Revis situation

"It's hardly news that the Jets have yet to open negotiations with Revis. After all, he still has a year left on his contract and they have other front-burner issues that need attention. At the same time, they owe Revis' camp a courtesy call. If they truly have an interest in re-signing their best player, they should contact the agents to express that sentiment and to set up a time to talk, even if it's a month from now. But the situation is so toxic that they're reluctant to engage in small talk. Idzik called Revis a month ago, but it was only to smooth things over after fumbling Revis-related questions in his introductory news conference. The Jets have to be careful here. Their brand took a big hit last season, the fan base is angry and Johnson has PSLs to sell. If he alienates his best player and trades him for a second-rate package, it'll be a public-relations disaster of epic proportions. As for Revis, he needs to chill, concentrate on his rehab and gear up for an extended poker game between his agents and the Jets."

Adam Schefter
Schefter's NFL Mailbag

"I view Revis as almost untradable. It's not that he's not good; it's the circumstances surrounding him. Any team that wants to trade for Revis is going to have to satisfy him with a new contract that makes him one of the highest -- if not the highest -- paid defensive player in the NFL. That's not going to be easy. Then the Jets are going to want back a handsome price for a player who has only one year left on his contract and is coming off a major knee injury. Most defensive backs never come back at the same level they were at before. So what team is going to be willing to give Revis a contract north of $15 million per year, which deprives it of the ability to make moves with a handful of other key players, while surrendering that kind of compensation to the Jets? It would be great if the Jets could find a trade partner that could meet all those conditions -- they would love that. And why not? They would be able to get something back for a player who has health questions and is free to walk away from the team after next season. But it's hard to envision a scenario under which a Revis trade will work out. There will be no shortage of teams that would want to trade for Revis. But there will be an extreme shortage of teams that can make it happen."

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
god, that front office is in shambles..

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners should trade the 2nd round pick they got from KC to the Jets for Revis. That is effectively trading Revis for Smith.