• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Niners should trade the 2nd round pick they got from KC to the Jets for Revis. That is effectively trading Revis for Smith.

I think the trade of a 2nd rounder for Revis is less of an issue than the massive amount of money Revis is going to require for a long-term deal coming off an ACL injury.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the trade of a 2nd rounder for Revis is less of an issue than the massive amount of money Revis is going to require for a long-term deal coming off an ACL injury.

that'd be my main concern. If he restricted us from resigning Aldon Smith in two years, Mike Iupati next year, and Anthony Davis next year, is he really worth it?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really in the middle on getting Revis.

Tremendous player and would fill one of our largest needs but the compensation, money, and injury like Adam Shefter has posted, is a very large concern.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am one hundred percent behind Baalke. Whichever direction he goes will be the best for this franchise. Clearly he has shown us over the last two years that not only does he know what he is doing, he is doing it better than anyone else.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my mind it's Revis or Harvin. Give me Revis. Hopefully he doesn't think about holding out if traded. Rogers is all but gone if this happens.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Where will rogers go? He will count over $4 mill of dead money to us. But, If we could trade him, for however little it is, would that take the dead money away? Not sure how all that works.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In my mind it's Revis or Harvin. Give me Revis. Hopefully he doesn't think about holding out if traded. Rogers is all but gone if this happens.

I know his contract is holdout proof for this season with the Jets but not sure if if that carries over if he's traded.

I think getting Harvin and signing a FA CB is the best course of action.

I just can't see giving Revis 16+ million a year and that to me is only money you give QBs or incredible pass rushers.

Now if you can get creative with the contract and make it one of those looks large on paper but not in actuality than maybe and we have one of the best front offices when it comes to "creative" contract writing.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where will rogers go? He will count over $4 mill of dead money to us. But, If we could trade him, for however little it is, would that take the dead money away? Not sure how all that works.

The other team would assume all the cap ramifications. Just like Smith and the Chiefs.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This blurb that roto wrote cracks me up!
If San Francisco acquired Revis, it'd likely surrender one of its two top-34 picks, or perhaps even both. Jets GM John Idzik should be on the phone with 49ers GM Trent Baalke. Idzik needs roster-building pieces, and Baalke has them.
No fucking way should we do that.

No way we'd give up both.

We'd have have to give up one of them and some change but after patting Baalke on the back for the Smith trade I would smack him in the back of the head if he gave up both of those picks.

Jets would get a 3rd round comp pick if Revis walks it's going to take at least a 2nd to even start a conversation.

In fact I believe we would get the 3rd round comp pick if he walks so we could trade for him even without an extension in place knowing in the worst case scenario we would still come out with a 3rd round pick.

So you could always gamble a bit in maybe being on a winning team, great coaching, and great teammates he might be a little more flexible and willing to work out a more agreeable contract to stay on the team.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The other team would assume all the cap ramifications. Just like Smith and the Chiefs.

Ahh thank you. I don't know if we could trade him, but if we could just even get a 7th in 2014 or 15 to free up that room, it would make it easier to grab Sean Smith or Revis.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can grab Sean Smith and keep Rogers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is where "built for now" makes you do things you'd ordinarily wouldn't?

don't like this trade mainly cause of his injury, followed by huge cap hit. but again, we ARE built for now.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, at this point I would probably rather have Sean Smith than Revis. Smith is younger and just coming into his talent while Revis is coming off of a major injury and going to be asking for twice as much money.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel as if there is a crapload of guessing going on with the media right now. They figure, since the 49ers get an extra high pick, then they must go after Revis.

I disagree. They could get a guy like Smith or Talib in FA and then use their three high picks to feel posiitons. Such as a guy like Hunter in the 1st, a FS or NT in the 2nd, etc.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, I guess he forgot about 1994. Getting so close and losing two years in a row makes teams do things they typically wouldn't.... 92 and 93 are pretty comparable to 11 and 12 in regards to how it went for the 49ers.

I actually think the hangup in a 1 year rental would be Revis, he doesn't strike me as the guy who would let the 49ers borrow him for a year in hopes of plugging the leak in the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, I guess he forgot about 1994. Getting so close and losing two years in a row makes teams do things they typically wouldn't.... 92 and 93 are pretty comparable to 11 and 12 in regards to how it went for the 49ers.

I actually think the hangup in a 1 year rental would be Revis, he doesn't strike me as the guy who would let the 49ers borrow him for a year in hopes of plugging the leak in the secondary.

99.9% sure he meant that the current structure that's in place - Baalke, Harbaugh, even McCloughan and Gamble when they were around - don't believe in that philosophy.