• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jets have decision to make on Revis
March, 2, 2013 2:18PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The New York Jets-Darrelle Revis saga took another turn for the exciting at the scouting combine over the past week, as we knew it would.

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, Jets GM John Idzik talked about a potential Revis trade with multiple teams at the combine, per a source. The source also categorized the talks as Idzik "actively" shopping the CB, and indicated that other teams are now doing some work to figure out what it would take to sign Revis to a contract extension following a deal. Any team trading for Revis would thus need to have an extensive amount of cap space for this season and projected for seasons ahead, depending upon how they structure the CB's deal.

Two teams with a sizable chunk of cap space that have been very public with their intentions to be spenders this offseason are the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers; as fate would have it, they also both need CB help. Whether they're willing to send an array of draft picks back to New York remains to be seen. Other clubs who have been mentioned as potential Revis destinations include Denver, San Francisco and Seattle, who could offer the Jets a new QB in Matt Flynn as part of a trade.

It's important to remember that nothing can happen on the trade front until March 12, and we may be waiting quite a bit longer regardless. In spite of the current situation, the Jets don't need to make any rushed -- or rash -- decisions on Revis, as the New York Times' Ben Shpigel writes. There's also the possibility that the Jets figure out a way to keep Revis on a new deal, as Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com points out. Meanwhile, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter writes that there's an added wrinkle that complicates any potential deal involving Revis:

Rich Cimini
Latest on the Revis situation

"It's hardly news that the Jets have yet to open negotiations with Revis. After all, he still has a year left on his contract and they have other front-burner issues that need attention. At the same time, they owe Revis' camp a courtesy call. If they truly have an interest in re-signing their best player, they should contact the agents to express that sentiment and to set up a time to talk, even if it's a month from now. But the situation is so toxic that they're reluctant to engage in small talk. Idzik called Revis a month ago, but it was only to smooth things over after fumbling Revis-related questions in his introductory news conference. The Jets have to be careful here. Their brand took a big hit last season, the fan base is angry and Johnson has PSLs to sell. If he alienates his best player and trades him for a second-rate package, it'll be a public-relations disaster of epic proportions. As for Revis, he needs to chill, concentrate on his rehab and gear up for an extended poker game between his agents and the Jets."

Adam Schefter
Schefter's NFL Mailbag

"I view Revis as almost untradable. It's not that he's not good; it's the circumstances surrounding him. Any team that wants to trade for Revis is going to have to satisfy him with a new contract that makes him one of the highest -- if not the highest -- paid defensive player in the NFL. That's not going to be easy. Then the Jets are going to want back a handsome price for a player who has only one year left on his contract and is coming off a major knee injury. Most defensive backs never come back at the same level they were at before. So what team is going to be willing to give Revis a contract north of $15 million per year, which deprives it of the ability to make moves with a handful of other key players, while surrendering that kind of compensation to the Jets? It would be great if the Jets could find a trade partner that could meet all those conditions -- they would love that. And why not? They would be able to get something back for a player who has health questions and is free to walk away from the team after next season. But it's hard to envision a scenario under which a Revis trade will work out. There will be no shortage of teams that would want to trade for Revis. But there will be an extreme shortage of teams that can make it happen."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jets GM: Revis' ACL rehab ahead of schedule

Jets GM John Idzik told reporters Monday that Darrelle Revis is ahead of schedule in his recovery from ACL surgery.

"By all accounts, by his doctor’s accounts -- he’s doing very well," said Idzik. "By their estimation he’s ahead of schedule." Idzik and coach Rex Ryan mostly dodged questions about whether Revis is on the trade block. "Darrelle is a very valued player on our team," Idzik added. "Our focus is squarely on getting him healthy, getting him back to his (usual) level of play."
Source: New York Daily News

Mar 4 - 2:08 PM

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather trade our 1st and 2nd round pick from the Chiefs for future 1st round picks in 2014 then use either of them to acquire Revis. We have to many picks this year not to use some of them to stock pile for next year. I'm also not sure their is a player in this draft you should trade up to get. We probably will trade up for someone, but I expect that to be between the 3rd-5th round.

There are a few 1st rounders I would be ok with trading up to grab though if they start to fall toward us.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh dear, now Revis is talking. Says it would be awesome to play for the 49ers. I don't have the video but it can be found on Michael Robinson's website. RealRobReport

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh dear, now Revis is talking. Says it would be awesome to play for the 49ers. I don't have the video but it can be found on Michael Robinson's website. RealRobReport

It WOULD be awesome to play for the 49ers. It would be awesome to make 16 million a year too.

...I'm just throwing it out there in case Trent Baalke is interested. If you're listening Trent, just give me the word and I'll drive to SF tonight. I'll bring a tape of my workout with me. I might look a little different on tape than I do in person, but I assure you it's I. Not Usain Bolt. People confuse me with him sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter
Schefter's NFL Mailbag

"I view Revis as almost untradable. It's not that he's not good; it's the circumstances surrounding him. Any team that wants to trade for Revis is going to have to satisfy him with a new contract that makes him one of the highest -- if not the highest -- paid defensive player in the NFL. That's not going to be easy. Then the Jets are going to want back a handsome price for a player who has only one year left on his contract and is coming off a major knee injury. Most defensive backs never come back at the same level they were at before. So what team is going to be willing to give Revis a contract north of $15 million per year, which deprives it of the ability to make moves with a handful of other key players, while surrendering that kind of compensation to the Jets? It would be great if the Jets could find a trade partner that could meet all those conditions -- they would love that. And why not? They would be able to get something back for a player who has health questions and is free to walk away from the team after next season. But it's hard to envision a scenario under which a Revis trade will work out. There will be no shortage of teams that would want to trade for Revis. But there will be an extreme shortage of teams that can make it happen."

I know in the NBA teams will sometimes in a trade pay for the player traded in exchange for getting more, does that ever happen in the NFL? If it did and we knew we were going to go on the high end in a renegotiation, they could do that and fill someone's pay this year in a longer deal, making it close to zero next year for Revis. But I don't know if the reneg makes that impossible as well. Not saying they should do it, just wondering if they could or if that's against the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latest on Revis
March, 6, 2013 9:15AM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

It appears that even though Darrelle Revis is working his way back from a serious knee injury, it's only going to be a matter of time before the New York Jets ship him away in a trade, according to the Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

“He’s gone,” a source familiar with the situation said Tuesday. “This is happening. They’re moving him. They can’t keep him. They’re rebuilding. They’re starting fresh.”

It's well known that the San Francisco 49ers are interested in Revis, but Mehta also notes the Falcons and, perhaps, a third team could be in the mix. As for a timeline for the trade to be consummated, a deal likely would have to be struck prior to the draft.

"ources told The News they believe Revis’ maximum trade value would not be reached just before the April 25 draft; they think the window opens Tuesday when teams begin signing free agents," Mehta wrote. "There simply aren't enough legitimate buyers comfortable with giving up enough draft choice compensation for a player coming off an ACL injury."

Stay tuned. Obviously, this is likely to be a daily story of rumors until Revis is traded or unexpectedly locked up to an extension by the Jets.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More Revis-to-S.F. talk
March 5, 2013 1:35PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

UPDATE: ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando offered his opinion on the likelihood a Revis landing with the 49ers in trade this offseason (see below).

---

When it was first rumored that New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis could be had by another NFL team if the price was right, the San Francisco 49ers emerged as a speculative destination (ignoring the fact that this move would go against their recent roster-building strategy, of course). With the Niners agreeing in principle last week to trade QB Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs -- acquiring the No. 34 overall pick in the process -- this only ramped up the speculation that they'd be the ones to nab Revis.

Apparently, this outcome is not one to which No. 24 is opposed. Appearing on a web-based sports talk show with Seattle Seahawks RB Michael Robinson, Revis, in fact, sounded interested in playing for a team that's coming off a Super Bowl appearance. The CB indicated that he'd be "just be an addition to help them win that trophy. Would it be awesome? I mean, yeah. My main goal as a player ... is to hold that Lombardi Trophy in the air and get that ring." (Quote via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com).

As a reminder, Revis isn't the one making the trade with any other team, but the fact that playing for San Francisco would be "awesome," in his words, could be an indication that he'd be open to signing something long-term with Jim Harbaugh's club; such a contract extension is likely going to be paired with his trade, as the acquiring team is expected to pay a hefty price to nab Revis.

At every turn of this ongoing Revis-to-San Francisco saga, those who cover the Niners have offered their informed opinion that such a move is unlikely. Nevertheless, it remains a hot topic of discussion as the start of the league year (and open season on trades) approaches.

Mike Sando
Fun with Revis, the story that won't go away

"Acquiring Darrelle Revis and making the cornerback one of their highest-paid players would complicate the San Francisco 49ers' efforts to manage and replenish what was the NFL's highest-priced defense last season. For that reason, and because Revis is coming off knee surgery, I'd be surprised if the 49ers acquired Revis from the New York Jets."

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I still lean on a trade being unlikely but we're going to at least kick the tires on Revis. In fact it would be irresponsible of Baalke to not at least see what the Jets want and run some numbers with the contract and salary cap and see if it's even practical.

It also helps the Jets have very little leverage so the draft pick cost isn't going to be high considering the caliber of player Revis is.

I will say if any front office can make the deal work it's ours. We have got to be the top FO when it comes to signing players and being creative with the cap to squeeze everyone in.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Via @mortreport: 49ers' interest in trading for Jets CB Darrelle Revis is ".001 on a scale of 1-10," a source said via text message.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Via @mortreport: 49ers' interest in trading for Jets CB Darrelle Revis is ".001 on a scale of 1-10," a source said via text message.

BOOM!!! thank god.. no disrespect to him, he's arguably the best at his position, but he would just cost too much and as I look at it, would severely hamper our ability to resign 7 of our top players in the next couple years.. Himself is not worth it if it costs us younger players with no injury history that have grown up on this team

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The problem is nobody knows how accurate that is one way or another since it's all a leverage game right now.

Obviously if the source is coming from the 49ers it's completely in their best interest to leak they aren't interested. It would make 0 sense for them to say they are totally interested.

With that said I still see it being unlikely a trade is made but I don't completely buy the whole .001 interest.

Just like how we weren't "interesed" in Manning but only evaluating him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The problem is nobody knows how accurate that is one way or another since it's all a leverage game right now.

Obviously if the source is coming from the 49ers it's completely in their best interest to leak they aren't interested. It would make 0 sense for them to say they are totally interested.

With that said I still see it being unlikely a trade is made but I don't completely buy the whole .001 interest.

:agree: I learned very early not to trust what our "front office personnel" has to say about any players during the offseason. That's a good tactic on their part though. I don't always want to know what their intent/interest are in players which can potentially put us at a disavantage.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true, I won't believe he's even being traded until its done.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis as a 1 year rental makes perfect sense. Since he's coming off an injury he's gonna have to prove that he's worth what he thinks he is so not as worried about him holding out. I would rather have Revis and a rookie S then Goldson and whoever. I think the Niners are interested. Interested in getting him at the lowest cost possible.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That would be great if the Falcons traded for Revis & signed him long-term for 16 million a season. Take over all the cap space on the team!

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I say trade our 2nd round pick for Revis - which is the 2nd to last pick in the 2nd -, Let him play on a one year rental. Lose him to free agency and recoup a 3rd round compensatory selection.

Madden trade finalized. Now to go sign random free agents and trade them too.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say trade our 2nd round pick for Revis - which is the 2nd to last pick in the 2nd -, Let him play on a one year rental. Lose him to free agency and recoup a 3rd round compensatory selection.

Madden trade finalized. Now to go sign random free agents and trade them too.

3rd rounder