• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now we all know that the JETS. Aren't just gonna give him away for peanuts. Now I want him, but not @ the 14-16 mil. range.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOOM!!! thank god.. no disrespect to him, he's arguably the best at his position, but he would just cost too much and as I look at it, would severely hamper our ability to resign 7 of our top players in the next couple years.. Himself is not worth it if it costs us younger players with no injury history that have grown up on this team

Yeah, if we were going to hamper our ability to sign others, we would have more seriously pursued Manning with more money. As much as it was Manning's choice, I think we did or would have offered less to save for other players.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if we were going to hamper our ability to sign others, we would have more seriously pursued Manning with more money. As much as it was Manning's choice, I think we did or would have offered less to save for other players.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I would love to have Revis, but I think the cost is too high. There is only so much of the salary cap pie that you can give to a cornerback. However, a one-year rental would be nice if we don't have to give up too much.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, like Revis and would love to have him on the field but I don't want to pay him that ridiculous contract he is looking for. I don't want anyone who will rock our foundation with a major contract.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't get me wrong, like Revis and would love to have him on the field but I don't want to pay him that ridiculous contract he is looking for. I don't want anyone who will rock our foundation with a major contract.

If the Niners did trade for Revis (which I hope they don't), then they should immediately trade either Brooks or Bowman (in addition to cutting Rogers) because they simmply can't afford 15-16 million more for one position on defense long-term IMO. And I don't know what the financial implications of doing that would be.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners did trade for Revis (which I hope they don't), then they should immediately trade either Brooks or Bowman (in addition to cutting Rogers) because they simmply can't afford 15-16 million more for one position on defense long-term IMO. And I don't know what the financial implications of doing that would be.

Would you mind a rental? Do you think Revis would hold out this year if he doesn't get a new contract in place?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Would you mind a rental? Do you think Revis would hold out this year if he doesn't get a new contract in place?

I don't think he'd hold out because his salary this year (including workout bounuses), if I'm not mistaken, is 4 million. That's not enourmous, but that's too much money from which for him to simply walk away. Plus, he can always negotiate a new deal in the middle of the season.

But yes, I would mind a rental. A first round pick for 1 season? Screw that. If he becomes a 49er, it needs to be for at least 4 years.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think they would need to cut Rogers and you probably would anyways since he becomes expandable with Revis but there are plenty of ways to play with numbers to squeeze him in if they really really wanted to.

It just requires creative language with incentives and juggling front loading and back loading a lot of player contracts.

With that said I still don't see them doing it unless he comes down on his price but my point is if you want to you can make the contract work. Especially our front office who are wizards of contract and the cap.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'd hold out because his salary this year (including workout bounuses), if I'm not mistaken, is 4 million. That's not enourmous, but that's too much money from which for him to simply walk away. Plus, he can always negotiate a new deal in the middle of the season.

But yes, I would mind a rental. A first round pick for 1 season? Screw that. If he becomes a 49er, it needs to be for at least 4 years.

I think I read somewhere that his salary this season is 6 million.....

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think there is a clause in his contract that makes it detrimental to him if he does hold out.

Basically he can't hold out but in return he can't be tagged either.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It pains me to admit this, but trading for Revis is starting to look like a good idea now that it looks like Wallace will command like 13 million per season.

I don't know what they'd want in terms of compensation, but I've heard 2 second rounders thrown around.

I'd offer the Niners' original 2nd round pick and a 1st rounder from next season & see if they bite. If they do, I'd then trade the 34th pick for a 1st rounder next season & an early 3rd & then trade up from 31 [with some of the later pick(s)] to get Hankins in the mid-20's. And then cut Rogers & sign Adam Jones.

And I'd sign Abraham.

Defense: Legendary.
Offense: Keeping fingers crossed. It would help if Walker re-signed for Manningham's portion of the salary cap.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It pains me to admit this, but trading for Revis is starting to look like a good idea now that it looks like Wallace will command like 13 million per season.

I don't know what they'd want in terms of compensation, but I've heard 2 second rounders thrown around.

I'd offer the Niners' original 2nd round pick and a 1st rounder from next season & see if they bite. If they do, I'd then trade the 34th pick for a 1st rounder next season & an early 3rd & then trade up from 31 [with some of the later pick(s)] to get Hankins in the mid-20's. And then cut Rogers & sign Adam Jones.

And I'd sign Abraham.

Defense: Legendary.
Offense: Keeping fingers crossed. It would help if Walker re-signed for Manningham's portion of the salary cap.

I wouldn't touch Revis for a 1st rounder especially since the Jets have 0 leverage when it comes to trading him. I would give them a 2nd rounder and a lot of change in maybe a 3rd rounder, 4th rounder, and maybe a 3rd rounder next season.

The only serious competition in this I see maybe the Eagles but I have a tough time seeing them drop picks when they have a new offesne with an offensive line in shambles and running a new defense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Obviously I'd be much happier with your scenario, but either way the Niners need to make it happen. This is their year. They are CLEARLY the most talented team in football already, and they have 15 draft picks & a bunch of cap space. This is like teh 2004 Patriots when they were already the best team in football & went out & got Corey Dillon.

Mike Wallace at 11 million was my first choice, but at 13 it's getting a little ridiculous. But Revis would be enough NOS to push the team over the finish line. They need to do it IMO.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Obviously I'd be much happier with your scenario, but either way the Niners need to make it happen. This is their year. They are CLEARLY the most talented team in football already, and they have 15 draft picks & a bunch of cap space. This is like teh 2004 Patriots when they were already the best team in football & went out & got Corey Dillon.

Mike Wallace at 11 million was my first choice, but at 13 it's getting a little ridiculous. But Revis would be enough NOS to push the team over the finish line. They need to do it IMO.

Harvin might have been on their radar as well but not a chance if he wants the money that's being reported he wants.

And I don't care what reports have came out I know Baalke and staff have at least entertained and discussed the idea of Revis. I mean how could you have not at least crunched a few numbers, maybe dropped a phone call to the Jets and see what they are looking for in return. Doesn't mean your completely determined to get him but you at least kick the tires on it.

I believe our number 1 focus will be on getting a CB through FA. It won't cost draft picks and it won't cost nearly as much in terms of contract.

If we lose out in FA I could see us start to become players for Revis.

You just can't ignore the fact with Revis the Falcons game wouldn't have been close as Revis locks down Jones, Brown covers White, and the double team goes on TG. And the same could be said about the Super Bowl.

Getting Revis (or a legit #1 CB) allows Brown to go where he's best suited and that's being a #2 CB and by drafting a Safety with coverage skills we could maybe take Whitner off the field completely on passing downs or at least hide him from exposure much better.

And as I've said before it won't be simple but our front office can make a contract work by getting creative with numbers and contract language without it completely debilitating our ability to sign other players. All that matters to players and Revis is the guaranteed money so as long as he gets that I'm sure he's not going to care how you play with the other numbers.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eagles flying to Revis Island?
March, 10, 2013 12:40PM ET
By AJ Mass | ESPN.com

Philadelphia is quickly moving to try and reshape their identity, at least on the defensive side of the ball, now that Chip Kelly is in charge and Andy Reid is no longer calling the shots in terms of player personnel. The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that general manager Howie Roseman is actively pursuing Darrelle Revis to replace likely cut victim Nnamdi Asomugha in the team's secondary. With San Francisco, Atlanta and Denver all cooling off as potential landing spots for Revis, Philadelphia appears to be the current front runner to work out a way to get the 27-year-old into an Eagles uniform.

The team has also been connected to safety Dashon Goldson, but if they can acquire Revis, perhaps they will use their 49ers pipeline – Tom Gamble – in order to latch onto free agent defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois instead.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darrelle Revis - DB - Jets

A Falcons team source told Newsday's Bob Glauber that the Falcons are "absolutely not" trading for Darrelle Revis.

Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff "downplayed" the Revis idea last week, but he didn't flat-out deny it. The Falcons have an opening at right corner after Dunta Robinson's release, but they could look to re-sign free agent Brent Grimes to fill the spot with Robert McClain in the slot. Revis could be revisited after free agency.
Source: Bob Glauber on Twitter

Mar 11 - 3:21 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now that the Seaturds just traded for Harvin, I'm now 100% on the trade-for-Revis bandwagon. Seattle might be the single biggest obstacle the Niners have in winning the SB this year. Harvin, Rice & Miller is a good set of weapons. Niners need to D up!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now that the Seaturds just traded for Harvin, I'm now 100% on the trade-for-Revis bandwagon. Seattle might be the single biggest obstacle the Niners have in winning the SB this year. Harvin, Rice & Miller is a good set of weapons. Niners need to D up!

Looks like our main target is Sean Smith and personally I think we'll kick the tires on DRC and Nnamdi if we lose out on Smith. Barrows at Sac Bee stated that we're one of the favorites if not the favorite to land Smith but not sure what he's basing that on and not sure how adding Boldin and his 6 mill will affect things.

I think we'll target Revis if we completely fall flat in free agency.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Harvin would burn Sean Smith every time IMO. DRC's a little faster, so he'd at least be able to recover a little more quickkly on a double move or a cut inside. However, DRC isn't the kind of CB I want trying to tackle Harvin in the open field; he'd be vulnerable to the quick out (and probably the slant).

This is why Revis needs to be a 49er. He can handle Harvin (and Victor Cruz in NY).