• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adding a high priced FA, likely THE highest, to a quality team will hurt ego's. it is just human nature, applicable to all of us. so as someone already mentioned, what does it do to the lockerroom?

I think the guys would welcome him. Its only for a year anyway until they have to decide if they want to re-sign him. If it doesn't work out in 2013 then let him go.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the guys would welcome him. Its only for a year anyway until they have to decide if they want to re-sign him. If it doesn't work out in 2013 then let him go.

but thats just it....2013 didn't work out. this team which is 'built for now', can't afford personnel issues in 2013.

just saying do your due diligence, again, its a tough call.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
How can we b mad @ Revis 4 wanting 2 b the highest paid player? When u know ur the best & ur resume shows tht. Some guys r team 1st & he probably isn't 1 of them. But u cnt fault him 4 wanting tht money. Cnt play 4ever & we all know tht.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has been built around guys that have completely bought into the "team first" mentality and Revis in his career has shown to be anything but. He's seemingly never happy about his contract and frankly, the Niners have drafted so well that we have a LIST of players that will need to get paid long term soon:

Kaep (big contract)
Iupati
Aldon (big contract)
Davis
Boone
Crabtree
Goldson
Culliver

With these players possibly coming off the books:

Rogers
Whitner
Alex

As much as I love the fact that Revis Island could make our defense insane, I don't think that even at 14 mil, he is worth the price tag...for a couple of reasons. First, I would rather sign Goldson, Culliver, and still have money left over to help sign others then sign Revis. Goldson is the best safety in the league IMO and Culliver is a good, young CB with all the physical tools to be great but a little too overaggressive at times. Goldson has asked for a long term deal for a couple years now, but has been relatively quiet about his contract otherwise. Revis has a two year bitch plan, something that would get old rather quickly on this team if he is constantly becoming a distraction with holdouts every training camp. Lastly, coming off a torn ACL, we have no idea how quickly he will be back to 100% and I don't like the thought of paying 14-16 mil for an experiment.

Revis as a relative malcontent, coming off of ACL surgery, at 16 mil? No thank you, have a good day, and...oh yeah, go fuck yourself.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This team has been built around guys that have completely bought into the "team first" mentality and Revis in his career has shown to be anything but. He's seemingly never happy about his contract and frankly, the Niners have drafted so well that we have a LIST of players that will need to get paid long term soon:

Kaep (big contract)
Iupati
Aldon (big contract)
Davis
Boone
Crabtree
Goldson
Culliver

With these players possibly coming off the books:

Rogers
Whitner
Alex

As much as I love the fact that Revis Island could make our defense insane, I don't think that even at 14 mil, he is worth the price tag...for a couple of reasons. First, I would rather sign Goldson, Culliver, and still have money left over to help sign others then sign Revis. Goldson is the best safety in the league IMO and Culliver is a good, young CB with all the physical tools to be great but a little too overaggressive at times. Goldson has asked for a long term deal for a couple years now, but has been relatively quiet about his contract otherwise. Revis has a two year bitch plan, something that would get old rather quickly on this team if he is constantly becoming a distraction with holdouts every training camp. Lastly, coming off a torn ACL, we have no idea how quickly he will be back to 100% and I don't like the thought of paying 14-16 mil for an experiment.

Revis as a relative malcontent, coming off of ACL surgery, at 16 mil? No thank you, have a good day, and...oh yeah, go fuck yourself.

his track record does seem to indicate he's NOT a team first guy?

the more i read opinions, the more i think we shouldn't sign him. it'll look damn good on paper, but the chemistry is invaluable.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is how I honestly see it... we have a good secondary, right? It may not be ESPN or any Social media favorite by name but to our defense, they're a good unit(with the occasional WTF, you can't cover sh*t moments).... but needless to say, they have an elite front 7 which should be not debatable IMO....

Revis... for all that money, is it worth it if you have such a vicious/elite front 7? IMO, not so much. Heck, I'd luv to have Revis w/o his diva/greedy ways..... but not worth hurting our proven players on the team... I guess, that $ could be spent elsewhere...

Now, if you were to tell me that our front 7 will take a hit(losing Justin would) or Aldon wouldn't be a consistent threat on pass rush, then maybe finding that shutdown CB would be considered along with the money....

I'm going back to this... if we have a real pass rush/elite front 7 like we currently do(to a degree), then I, as a fan, couldn't really support spending those big bucks on a shutdown CB.... as a need, like we have to or a must sign.

I'll bring in Revis for the obvious but right now he's not a must have... well, we'll see what happens after the SB i guess.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How can we b mad @ Revis 4 wanting 2 b the highest paid player? When u know ur the best & ur resume shows tht. Some guys r team 1st & he probably isn't 1 of them. But u cnt fault him 4 wanting tht money. Cnt play 4ever & we all know tht.

Easy. He signed his rookie contract, didn't like it a few years in so held out for more money. He got the more money. No problem so far.

Two years into his new contract, he decided he wanted more money again so he held again. Now we have a problem.

If you're going to want a new contract every 2 years, don't sign 4 and 5 year contracts.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ur rookie contract is based on where ur drafted. Not wat ur worth & we all know tht. Now I dnt want him for 14-16 mil. Bcuz I wanna keep our core group. But I cnt be mad @ him 4 wanting top overall Def player money.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ur rookie contract is based on where ur drafted. Not wat ur worth & we all know tht. Now I dnt want him for 14-16 mil. Bcuz I wanna keep our core group. But I cnt be mad @ him 4 wanting top overall Def player money.

is he top defensive player money?

that's quite a debate/discussion.....

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As I said, when he held out on his rookie deal there was no problem.

But he got a new contract from that hold out. Then held out again two years later.

Also, your rookie deal is based on where you're drafted, and where you're drafted is based on how you're valued. Connect the dots. . .

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I disagree wit where ur drafted is based on how ur valued. But we on the same team imac 21. 4 the good of the 9ers my guy. & CalamityX11 he is top Def money.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going back to this... if we have a real pass rush/elite front 7 like we currently do(to a degree), then I, as a fan, couldn't really support spending those big bucks on a shutdown CB.... as a need, like we have to or a must sign.

I'll bring in Revis for the obvious but right now he's not a must have... well, we'll see what happens after the SB i guess.

even if we lose the SB, doesn't mean we NEED to sign Revis?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if we lose the SB, doesn't mean we NEED to sign Revis?

Well if we get "killed" on the coverage by our CBs, i could see the knee jerk reaction to sign Revis...

but my sentiments are, ATM, we don't NEED to sign him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's not that we NEED him but his addition would put our defense and our team over the top assuming he returns to form from his knee injury.

And looking to the future, Seattle isn't going anywhere, the Rams are on the rise, Cardinals will likely be better, and we're still going to see teams like the Falcons, Packers, Saints, and maybe even the Patriots in the Super Bowl. So we're going to need a stout secondary if we want to keep up the run.

I trust Baalke and our front office people to not overpay for Revis but we should at least seriously consider it and look at making it work.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jane McManus:

Schefter suggests a trade: Alex Smith and a second round 49ers pick to the Jets for Darrelle Revis. #NFL #Jets

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would do that in a heart beat, then cut or trade Rogers if you could. But only way I do trade is if we work out a deal, and hopefully a no holdout clause (don't know if can be done) in that deal.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That would be a steal. It's a steal because I was willing to invest by giving up a little more. I would have given up Alex Smith AND our first. I've been reading people's whining in this thread as if Trent Baalke, Paraag Marathe, and Cipora Herman aren't magicians when operating the cap (player contracts). Alex Smith would have gotten released anyway, so his value to us is irrelevant and trading him is getting something/anything from a player we didn't anticipate in getting something out of due to him being released. Revis and Brown, would make this NFC Division one scary place to be with regard to DBs. The Seahawks, Cardninals, and Rams all have two amazing duos playing the corner position for them. It's time to catch up to them IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A Smith-Revis swap?
January, 29, 2013 10:05AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

It was shaping up to be a relatively normal Tuesday morning in the NFL world -- though the circus of Super Bowl Media Day is on tap -- and then something very strange happened during ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter's appearance on "Mike and Mike in the Morning."

"Schefter suggests a trade: Alex Smith and a second round 49ers pick to the Jets for Darrelle Revis," tweeted Jane McManus of ESPNNewYork.com.

Maybe a little too much gumbo? In any event, the 49ers are one of the teams that has the cap space flexibility to afford Revis (both in 2013 and beyond), and getting Smith's $8.5 million off the books would help in that regard. As for the Jets, they'd have another highly-drafted QB on the roster to go along with Mark Sanchez, and as ESPN's Chris Sprow points out, that'd be around $21 million in 2013 cap hit for the combined services of Smith and Sanchez, which would be amongst the most "Jets" things the Jets have done in recent history.

There aren't as many big trades in the NFL as in the other major sports, but this is a move that could be of great benefit to both parties involved.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do you think we could trade Rogers? What do you guys think we could get for him?