• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say do it if it wasn't 16 per as well. Alex Smith is going to be cut or part of the trade and he's at 7.5-8. I doubt Carlos Rogers would be part of the team going forward if Revis is and Rogers is at 7 mill himself. Those two players gone by themselves can give you Revis with a new contract. The team would have of course need to check his health and try not to get ripped off in the trade, but I trust Baalke to do it.

For extending our guys, Soap is probably going to be gone or reworked at a lower price. He's not worth the 5 mill when they'll need that for other guys. I'd like to see if Manningham could bounce back from his injury as we might see some great things with him and Kaep. If not we can get his 5 mill and we're not sure if Goodwin will be back with his 5 mill either. With cutting one of those guys (for argument, soap) and some of the money left over from Alex Smith and Rogers you could resign Goldson at 6-7 mill if he's willing to take it.... Big if. After the 2013 season Goodwins contract is up along with Justin Smith's and Whitner and Haralson I believe. I doubt they bring any of those guys back and think Smith and Goodwin retire. With their money you can lock up Kaep. After 2013 they're even going to have to look at Gore and him long term and if he fits in the plans. He's been a diehard Niner and been through the worst and now at the top so I'd hate to cut him, but we'll see what the team thinks.

I don't know the exact contract situations of everyone and who else might be front or back loaded, but there's definitely ways to make things work for Revis if the team wants him and taking care of our core.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do I want Revis? You bet your ass I do. Do I want revis for 15+ mil per year? Hell no. Revis you are a good player, but a team you do not make. I guess I would pitch him that he has a chance to be on a team that is a SB contender every year now. But in order to be on this team, you will have to be willing to not be the highest paid defensive player ever. Tell him $12 mil per year for 4/5 years. If he says no, then say sorry you don't want to win and move on. He isn't worth 3-4 guys

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's another way of looking at it...

Mike Wallace will probably sign for around 10-12 million a year this offseason. WR is a MUCH weaker position than CB. Wallace isn't as dominant of a player as Revis, but he's a #1 WR who can be a deep thread for all those deep balls kaep throws. That would open up the offense to the point that it would dominate in the passing game as well as the running game.

Now let's look at the first round of the draft (The Jets will probably want a pick at least as high as 32 for him). Realistically, the Niners are looking at a guy like Barrett Jones, Kawann Short, maybe one of the TEs. Is Revis' dominant play at CB more valuable than opening up the passing game + getting a starting C or a NT prospect + 2-4 milliion to spend on a guy like Sopoaga or go towards franchising Goldson for 1 more season?

Revis VS Wallace + Barrett Jones + 2-4 million a season. Which is more?

This isn't a rehetorical question by the way. I'm really asking.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here's another way of looking at it...

Mike Wallace will probably sign for around 10-12 million a year this offseason. WR is a MUCH weaker position than CB. Wallace isn't as dominant of a player as Revis, but he's a #1 WR who can be a deep thread for all those deep balls kaep throws. That would open up the offense to the point that it would dominate in the passing game as well as the running game.

Now let's look at the first round of the draft (The Jets will probably want a pick at least as high as 32 for him). Realistically, the Niners are looking at a guy like Barrett Jones, Kawann Short, maybe one of the TEs. Is Revis' dominant play at CB more valuable than opening up the passing game + getting a starting C or a NT prospect + 2-4 milliion to spend on a guy like Sopoaga or go towards franchising Goldson for 1 more season?

Revis VS Wallace + Barrett Jones + 2-4 million a season. Which is more?

This isn't a rehetorical question by the way. I'm really asking.

Isn't Jenkins supposed to be our "Wallace" though.

I know Wallace would've been a 49er this season if he didn't insist on his ridiculous contract but I doubt we go that route now that we have Jenkins.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Isn't Jenkins supposed to be our "Wallace" though.

I know Wallace would've been a 49er this season if he didn't insist on his ridiculous contract but I doubt we go that route now that we have Jenkins.

Jenkins???

Jenkins. Who's--- OOOOHHHH!!! That's right! AJ Jenkins. Yeah, I remember him. Is he still on the team?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jenkins???

Jenkins. Who's--- OOOOHHHH!!! That's right! AJ Jenkins. Yeah, I remember him. Is he still on the team?

I get it

But do you honestly thing Baalke is going to give up on his draft pick after one season and sign Wallace for 13 million?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But do you honestly thing Baalke is going to give up on his draft pick after one season and sign Wallace for 13 million?

I would. Will Baalke? I don't know. If I were Baalke, I wouldn't be extremely optimistic about him even beating out Kyle Williams, much less becoming the #1 WR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
tough call with that kind of price tag, and he coming off serious injury? ordinarily i'd be against it, but we are built for now.

leaning to........rather Baalke look at pass rushing improvements first, before coverage. it might be just adding a stiuational pass rusher? he doesn't have to force one, but evaluate those FA's first.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather get a good solid Cb and make sure we can keep the core of our defense together than to splurge on Revis. Over the next few years we will have to pay kaep, pay Aldon Smith, Resign or Replace Justin Smith, Replace Goldson, Replace Whitner, Resign or replace Crabtree, resign Iupati. Yes Revis is a true shutdown corner but if we can use that money to keep or sign several solid blue chippers then I think overall the Niners will be better off.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My ceiling on Revis would be $14 million per season.

But my instincts say trade up for Chance Warmack instead & keep him off another NFC West roster like the Rams.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I understand that the niners are in a win now mode and a player like Revis can make it happen. But I'd rather have the money allocated for resigning all the young players we have on the roster. One of the consequences of drafting well is having to eventually pay those players.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read in the Press Democrat that the Niners are "highly" interested in trading for Jets CB Darrelle Revis. He's 27, will count for $6 million in 2013 and be a free agent after the season. Also coming off a torn ACL. When healthy he is the best CB in football. Niners have 13 draft picks, so a lot of trade value. What do you guys think?

I'd love to have Revis but I would think that every team is interested in him; not just the 49ers.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that the niners are in a win now mode and a player like Revis can make it happen. But I'd rather have the money allocated for resigning all the young players we have on the roster. One of the consequences of drafting well is having to eventually pay those players.

If we can win with our guys that we have and will draft, I would like to do it that way. One reason I like sports is feeling like we did it. Now, if we got Revis, he'd be our guy, but it wouldn't quite feel like Kaepernick or how it did with Alex Smith for awhile. Like Patrick Willis and Frank Gore. It felt that we were doing it. Justin Smith wasn't drafted by us, but it feels like us because he's been here so long, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say, now that we got here with our guys and have a good GM, I'd like to stay with our guys as much as we can. Of course, if the coaches don't feel that we can keep up without getting a big time guy like Revis, than that's better than staying idle. If we are already great, it'd feel like Miami getting James or Boston getting KG - it diminishes what Wade and Pierce could do. I'm not saying to get comfortable, I'm saying draft smart and go through FA to get those who we can take to higher heights, the outcasts that just need good coaching - that always feels authentic. And extend our own that we've developed over the years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
adding a high priced FA, likely THE highest, to a quality team will hurt ego's. it is just human nature, applicable to all of us. so as someone already mentioned, what does it do to the lockerroom?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adding a high priced FA, likely THE highest, to a quality team will hurt ego's. it is just human nature, applicable to all of us. so as someone already mentioned, what does it do to the lockerroom?

If they win on Sunday, I'd take a note from the Giants and keep this core together.

From all reports, this is a tight lockeroom. BS doesn't fly - see Jacobs, Edwards. CB is a position I'd like to improve, but is it essential to make the team a super bowl contender, I don't think so.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No doubt about it, Revis is an incredible talent...

However, why would anyone want to add one of the most selfish 'me first' type players in the league, to a team with great chemistry and is in the SB because of the team first mentality? His attitude scares me more then his durability, and we all know about that ACL...

There's a reason why the lowely Jets are trying to get rid of this guy...

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Potential Revis suitors
January, 28, 2013 7:52AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

The entire NFL kingdom -- and its court jester, the New York Jets -- was rocked last week, with a report that the Jets could trade star CB Darrelle Revis as opposed to handing him a new, lucrative contract. There are two important clauses in Revis' contract: the seasons after 2013 void as long as he doesn't hold out this offseason, and the club cannot use the franchise tag on him for 2014. Facing the potential of losing him for nothing next offseason in free agency, the Jets are apparently open to seeing what they can get for him in trade now.

Though not every team will be able to fit Revis under the salary cap, there are some contenders with enough space for next season to pull it off, such as Denver, New England and San Francisco. (And a number of the NFL's also-rans have enough space to do it, too). Within his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column, Peter King of Sports Illustrated mentions those three teams specifically, and adds that a potential deal could be done with a first-round pick plus some other pieces (a third-rounder and another CB heading back to New York).

To be clear, those teams mentioned are just speculative at this point -- and make no mistake, the Jets aren't going to deal him to their rival up in Foxboro. Nevertheless, the Jets have found a way to keep themselves in the national conversation during Super Bowl week, even though they themselves weren't much of a threat this season, and it's a discussion that will continue until there's some closure to the situation.

Tags:New York Jets, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, Darrelle Revis

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is how I honestly see it... we have a good secondary, right? It may not be ESPN or any Social media favorite by name but to our defense, they're a good unit(with the occasional WTF, you can't cover sh*t moments).... but needless to say, they have an elite front 7 which should be not debatable IMO....

Revis... for all that money, is it worth it if you have such a vicious/elite front 7? IMO, not so much. Heck, I'd luv to have Revis w/o his diva/greedy ways..... but not worth hurting our proven players on the team... I guess, that $ could be spent elsewhere...

Now, if you were to tell me that our front 7 will take a hit(losing Justin would) or Aldon wouldn't be a consistent threat on pass rush, then maybe finding that shutdown CB would be considered along with the money....