• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Browns

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From NBCS.com:
""Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who threw one interception, noted that the offense "got caught up a couple times" in Cleveland territory and needs to finish more drives with touchdowns.""

I don't remember that. Am I wrong?

When you get 3 tunrovers in the first half, the offense needs to score more than they did. Field goals are better than nothing, but we all know you gotta get TD's.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree about #1 WR, would be nice to have one but wouldn't force it. Shannahan makes use of skill players, so we need to look ahead and add to the O-line. JG isn't elite but given the time he's getting, the job gets done. Getting the blocking we're getting, the run game is effective.

Too early to say this is one of the best Niner teams since the mid-90's, but they're certainly on a roll. On a roll playing well as a team. Sometimes this type of season happens (ie turnovers), sometimes its the other way around (last season). Anyway, the 2013 team was good too (Kaernick was still playing well)

the difference in offensive play calling distances this team from the Harbaugh squads for me.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the difference in offensive play calling distances this team from the Harbaugh squads for me.

Oh ok, play calling. Then for sure it hasn't been this good for some time.

The offense is effective due to solid blocking, not explosive but effective. For either run or passing plays, the blocking has been real good overall. I thought the reverse toss took too long, and a better defense would've destroyed it? But the blocking held long enough to make it work.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, dominating performance. Some surprises both good and bad:

The good: Skule, Mosely and Coleman. I guess I worried about Skule for nothing, Moseley as well. You never heard Garrett's or OBJ's name at all. They did great. Also Coleman was a pleasant surprise after his pedestrian performance against Tampa and then coming off an injury.
The Bad: Gould and the Field Goal tries. One was a bad snap but the blocked one was hooked so bad it never would have gone in and the routine miss early in the game that he used to make all the time. They've got to get that cleaned up before it gets in his head.

The one that got blocked was probably rushed because Armstead basically let the guy get a free run at Gould and I'm sure he saw it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, dominating performance. Some surprises both good and bad:

The good: Skule, Mosely and Coleman. I guess I worried about Skule for nothing, Moseley as well. You never heard Garrett's or OBJ's name at all. They did great. Also Coleman was a pleasant surprise after his pedestrian performance against Tampa and then coming off an injury.
The Bad: Gould and the Field Goal tries. One was a bad snap but the blocked one was hooked so bad it never would have gone in and the routine miss early in the game that he used to make all the time. They've got to get that cleaned up before it gets in his head.

I think Garrett had one sack where he beat Skule. Skule did a great job run blocking. I really don't know how Skule was in pass blocking. Shanahan's plan coming in on passing downs looked like it was to get the ball out quickly with short passing routes to offset the pass rush. Can't say I was really paying that much attention to it. Moseley was a pleasant surprise. He played well against some good receivers. He never got burned. The players were really behind him before the game and it looks warranted.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh was basically line up the same way and go. Harbaugh's offense never used bunch formations, never executed screens properly, didn't seem to scheme players open. It was just line em up and play smash mouth football. Couldn't even get the plays in on time. Overall, I always liked Harbaugh but his one weakness was never having been a coordinator at the NFL level. At times it hurt the team.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh was basically line up the same way and go. Harbaugh's offense never used bunch formations, never executed screens properly, didn't seem to scheme players open. It was just line em up and play smash mouth football. Couldn't even get the plays in on time. Overall, I always liked Harbaugh but his one weakness was never having been a coordinator at the NFL level. At times it hurt the team.

Exactly my point. We would not have had the same outcome if both Juice and Staley go down with Harbaugh vs. Shanahan. Shanahan, so far, seems to be able to maximize strengths while hiding weaknesses in his players. Harbaugh was literally next man up with the expectation that the backup produce the same way as the starter with the same scheme and same expectations, which is often not the outcome.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. They were fierce!
As for the receivers, I agree that these guys gotta catch the ball (Samuel, Bourne and Pettis) but I really wish they had a great wideout in the mold of Jones, Beckham or Hopkins.

We have one of the best offensive play callers in the league, probably the best stable of RBs in the league, and arguably the best overall TE in the league.
I wish I got a blowjob from Adriana Lima but you don't always get EVERYTHING you wish for in life :yahoo:

:trash:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly my point. We would not have had the same outcome if both Juice and Staley go down with Harbaugh vs. Shanahan. Shanahan, so far, seems to be able to maximize strengths while hiding weaknesses in his players. Harbaugh was literally next man up with the expectation that the backup produce the same way as the starter with the same scheme and same expectations, which is often not the outcome.

IMO Shannahan is what the writers say about his play calling, he stretches the defense across the entire field. As a defender, you can't just rush to the ball and is why we don't see as many "gang tackles".

In order to do this you obviously need the QB, but next you also need versatility in the TE and RB/FB.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Shannahan is what the writers say about his play calling, he stretches the defense across the entire field. As a defender, you can't just rush to the ball and is why we don't see as many "gang tackles".

In order to do this you obviously need the QB, but next you also need versatility in the TE and RB/FB.

Agreed. That alone makes the Niner teams now significantly better then the Harbaugh teams. Our defense back then was nasty but was heavily dependent on our ILB play and the mental health of Aldon Smith in order to get pressure on the QB....Cowboy would be double and triple teamed otherwise. This defense is multi-faceted with a dominant and DEEP front 7 and solid players in the secondary. This is the best Niner team since Young's teams of the mid 90's IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. That alone makes the Niner teams now significantly better then the Harbaugh teams. Our defense back then was nasty but was heavily dependent on our ILB play and the mental health of Aldon Smith in order to get pressure on the QB....Cowboy would be double and triple teamed otherwise. This defense is multi-faceted with a dominant and DEEP front 7 and solid players in the secondary. This is the best Niner team since Young's teams of the mid 90's IMO.

Good cause we're certainly going to lean on the Defense rest of the season. The offense is doing 'OK' but not consistently 'good'. Then now we're missing even more pieces.

Should the defense have a 'bad game', just don't see the offense winning in a shoot out? The offense was mistake prone against the Steelers. The offense got 3 turnovers in the first half alone against the Browns, but couldn't blow them out.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good cause we're certainly going to lean on the Defense rest of the season. The offense is doing 'OK' but not consistently 'good'. Then now we're missing even more pieces.

Should the defense have a 'bad game', just don't see the offense winning in a shoot out? The offense was mistake prone against the Steelers. The offense got 3 turnovers in the first half alone against the Browns, but couldn't blow them out.

I think our offense is better than you may be giving them credit for. We need our guys to hold onto passes and we need to eliminate stupid holding penalties as we have had a number of big plays and scoring plays negated by silly penalties.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kinda hard to win a shootout when both your tackles are out, your FB is out, and the receivers remain somewhat inconsistant/lack the chemistry with a relatively young QB. We're gonna lose steam offensively, but this is where Shanahan can earn his money by scheming his way out.

The Steelers game certainly wasn't ideal, but they moved up and down the field, and really only showed that Pittsburgh was lucky to be in that game in the first place. The Browns game showed me that for the most part, they had total control offensively.....they were very content on a short passing game to get the ball out quickly with one of the best edge rushers going up against the rookie tackle. They led 21-3 going into the half....that's blowing them out to me.

All things considered, job well done.