• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NHLPA Rejects NHL's realignment proposal

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated that re-alignment suggestion, especially how it impacted the playoffs. I have no idea how all the owers would have agreed to it in the 1st place. But I'm curious what the concern is here for the players and how this impacts their interests in a negative way more than the owners. Maybe they are just smarter than the owners and are trying to do them a favour by blocking this nonesense. Maybe they don't have a problem with it at all and are just being difficult for the sake of it in order to gain some bargaining power.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a stupid plan with uneven playoff odds for half of the teams in the league. Given the amount of revenue that is generated by playoff gate receipts (and concessions) it is staggering that the owners approved this piece of garbage.

The one thing I want in a sports league is a level playing field. A system whereby one team has a 4 out of 7 chance of making the playoffs and one has a 4 out of 8 chance is, IMO, ludicrous and unfair.

Dead on. The realignment part is fine, but the playiff component is messed up.

To piggyback, if you have 3 of the 5 best teams in one group, only 1 of them even makes the "semis?" That's ridiculous.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a stupid plan with uneven playoff odds for half of the teams in the league. Given the amount of revenue that is generated by playoff gate receipts (and concessions) it is staggering that the owners approved this piece of garbage.

The one thing I want in a sports league is a level playing field. A system whereby one team has a 4 out of 7 chance of making the playoffs and one has a 4 out of 8 chance is, IMO, ludicrous and unfair.

Agreed. It's not the worst realignment plan out there, but I still can't believe it's the best they could come up with.

Thats how I feel too KB....or atleast dont give us the Caps[/QUOTE

I really have a problem with basing the next realignment proposal off how good teams are right now. You might as well hoist up the white flag, say "parity is a joke", and wipe out the salary cap.

PREACH ON BROTHA!

The realignment plan was a terrible idea. And it's all so they didn't have to piss of Illytch. Hey, pizza boy. One team needs to move. It's not yours. Fuck off.

Put away the tin foil hat, this plan isn't based around keeping Illitch happy, although my guess is they probably do give Illitch's word's and opinions a little more weight than some of these other clown ass owners who may or may not be around in five years (see Stars, Dallas, or Yotes, Phoenix... wait, bad example). Either way, you're 50 freaking miles to the East of us. Don't be surprised if we move West over you.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I was joking about the Caps thing

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I was joking about the Caps thing

Ah. Well, I've seen it used as an argument several times, and it's always bugged me. Saying "you can't put all of those crappy teams in the same division", well, maybe they won't be crappy in three years. Always drove me nuts.

I'll turn my sarcasm detector back on.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cream puff Bill Daly talking tough about exploring all legal options and threatening the NHLPA with legal action...Sure glad to see the "new partnership" that Herr Bettman has been championing post-lockout.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cream puff Bill Daly talking tough about exploring all legal options and threatening the NHLPA with legal action...Sure glad to see the "new partnership" that Herr Bettman has been championing post-lockout.

You can take the gerbil out of the lawyer, but you can't take the lawyer out of the gerbil...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking selfish fucks. Taking lessons from the nfl and nba players.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking selfish fucks. Taking lessons from the nfl and nba players.

Selfish how? They probably think it's a stupid proposal, and want more time to review it and come up with a better solution. Remember, the NHL auto-defaulted on it due to a deadline, they didn't outright reject it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I didn't even read any articles yet, I just want to bitch about people who make more loot than I ever will.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just hockey,pffffffffffft

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the realignment plan, but looking at the bigger picture Donald Fehr knows all about lockouts & strikes. If there's anyone who can destroy what the NHL has built over the past few years of labor peace it's FEHR.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the realignment plan, but looking at the bigger picture Donald Fehr knows all about lockouts & strikes. If there's anyone who can destroy what the NHL has built over the past few years of labor peace it's FEHR.

I agree. Fehr was a scary choice to head the NHLPA.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost, I love football just as much as I love hockey. And that's no joke:rapture:

I never said you couldn't,,,,,it's just not my game so I don't care if they strike

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Selfish how? They probably think it's a stupid proposal, and want more time to review it and come up with a better solution. Remember, the NHL auto-defaulted on it due to a deadline, they didn't outright reject it.

Most of the quotes I've read from player reps about the realignment plan have been that they support the idea but rejected it for now because the NHL didn't have all or sufficient answers to their questions. I also suspect Fehr wants to use realignment as a barganing chip in the new CBA discussions.

With owners almost unanamously approving the plan you can be sure it will be implemented at some point.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put away the tin foil hat, this plan isn't based around keeping Illitch happy, although my guess is they probably do give Illitch's word's and opinions a little more weight than some of these other clown ass owners who may or may not be around in five years (see Stars, Dallas, or Yotes, Phoenix... wait, bad example). Either way, you're 50 freaking miles to the East of us. Don't be surprised if we move West over you.

There are two teams that have better geographical arguments for moving and either one would keep the player's union mostly happy. It seemed like a no brainer and most commentators and fans would have been fine with it, seeing as how a 1 for 1 move would not have changed the entire playoff landscape and all.

Until pizza boy ran his trap and shortly thereafter we got this abomination. Everyone hates favoritism unless it benefits them, I guess.

It's also frustrating to think none of this would have been an issue if shit for brains Bettman would have just let Phoenix fail, moved them back to Winnipeg (Or KC, or Portland) and kept them in the west. Atlanta could have moved to Quebec City and all would be fine. At this point, they might as well just move Phoenix to QC and leave everything else as is.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the idea a lot, not gonna lie. I was looking forward to the new format next season.