• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL to introduce new kick off rules: Fair catch inside the 25 is a touch back?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the Ryan Shazier injury a kickoff????

Carson Wentz was diving into the endzone on 1st down!

The two most spectacular and meaningful injuries of the NFL season happen on non-kickoffs and they want to fuck with kickoffs which are basically the best highlights in football.
:scratch:

This needs to stop.
:mad2:

The stats show that concussions (and serious injuries in general) are more likely during kickoffs than any other segment of the game. The impact of those injuries on teams may not be as heavy, as kickoff return and coverage teams rarely contain star players.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

rams-titans.jpg

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats show that concussions (and serious injuries in general) are more likely during kickoffs than any other segment of the game. The impact of those injuries on teams may not be as heavy, as kickoff return and coverage teams rarely contain star players.
Exactly. Let those kids have jobs too!

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess another update on the kick off. No running head starts for the kicking team. That will make on side kickoffs almost impossible to recover for the kicking team

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931041/article/kickoffs-set-to-undergo-makeover-in-order-to-make-play-safer

While the proposed changes might not appear dramatic to the naked eye, they are to the people involved with the game. Among the differences: There will be no running start or pre-kick motion by cover teams and no wedge blocks by return squads. Also, there will be a 15-yard, non-contact zone from the spot of the kick, with the return team required to have a minimum of eight players lined up 15 yards from the ball. The expectation is that this will not only take some of the bigger linemen off the field because there will be a premium on agility and speed to operate in space, but also eliminate some of the violent collisions on the back end of the play. As described, the coverage will resemble what's normally seen on a punt than a "traditional" kickoff.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess another update on the kick off. No running head starts for the kicking team. That will make on side kickoffs almost impossible to recover for the kicking team

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931041/article/kickoffs-set-to-undergo-makeover-in-order-to-make-play-safer

While the proposed changes might not appear dramatic to the naked eye, they are to the people involved with the game. Among the differences: There will be no running start or pre-kick motion by cover teams and no wedge blocks by return squads. Also, there will be a 15-yard, non-contact zone from the spot of the kick, with the return team required to have a minimum of eight players lined up 15 yards from the ball. The expectation is that this will not only take some of the bigger linemen off the field because there will be a premium on agility and speed to operate in space, but also eliminate some of the violent collisions on the back end of the play. As described, the coverage will resemble what's normally seen on a punt than a "traditional" kickoff.

Yep, I can see the refs being very inconsistent on this.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Let those kids have jobs too!

You completely missed the point. We're talking quality of life-affecting injuries being absorbed largely by lower-paid players on the roster only for special teams. What is the trade-off that you're comfortable with? A few 100K for a lifetime of head trauma and CTE problems?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What difference does a running start at the line of scrimmage make on hits made 40-50 yards downfield?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are kickoff related injuries blown out of proportion, or is there actual data saying that they are injury prone plays?
Good question.

Competition committee to recommend cutting kickoffs if injury rates don't drop
At this week's owners meetings, the league's medical department presented statistics showing that concussions are five times as likely to happen on kickoffs as on an average play
Advanced Football Analytics (formerly Advanced NFL Stats): Will the New Kickoff Rules Really Reduce Injuries?
injury+rate+by+year.png

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they're up over all categories, but kickoffs are the ones that aren't necessary. Honestly, with a 53-man roster, and the type of attrition that takes place over the season with the requisite plays, it would make sense to do away with them.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You completely missed the point. We're talking quality of life-affecting injuries being absorbed largely by lower-paid players on the roster only for special teams. What is the trade-off that you're comfortable with? A few 100K for a lifetime of head trauma and CTE problems?
Nice loaded question. I trade my time for the excitement of watching football. My choice. They trade their health. Their choice.

Get it?!

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
injury+rate+by+year.png

So, these data run form 2000 to 2010. As I recall, we started getting serious about other rule changes about 2010, largely rule changes to protect runners and receivers from head contact.

Why not extend these data to see where we are now, and how much we've already succeeded in reducing concussive trauma with sideline concussion protocols and penalties for hits to the head?

We should not be basing rules changes on 8 year old data, particularly with so many rule improvements to protect against head injuries already in place since then.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it won't be very long before kick offs are completely gone. get ready to deal with it because it's going to happen. punts/punt returns will eventually be gone also.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice loaded question. I trade my time for the excitement of watching football. My choice. They trade their health. Their choice.

Get it?!

Of course, and the players union and/or league will make rules changes to further limit these life-altering injuries. Your preference to watch exciting kickoffs isn't their top priority.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, and the players union and/or league will make rules changes to further limit these life-altering injuries. Your preference to watch exciting kickoffs isn't their top priority.
Exactly. They're fucking the league up.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, and eventuallly, the core of the league's fanbase will say enough is enough, and abandon it for good

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kickoffs and the 3 point stance will be gone within the next 3-5 yrs

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistics show that staying in bed and doing nothing all day is safer than walking down the stairs.

If people got irreversible head trauma from routine use of the stairs, changes would be made.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get it?!

The game requires a constant flow of new players. Parents are pulling their kids out of football in droves because of the head injury issue. If that trend continues the game will die. Do you get it ?