• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Rules Proposed:

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about starting with the 5th overtime, you start at the 50 yard line
How about starting the 1st OT at the 50? You can just fall down on all 3 downs and get points currently . This would make winning the ot coin toss less important. Still an advantage for team that gets the ball 2nd, but you still have to earn some yds b4 kicking fg.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw the 7 OTs of that LSU vs A&M game but it was awesome. As I recall, blown calls and ineffective replay had a huge impact in it even going to overtime.

I'm fine with the targeting proposal, but it needs a corresponding flopping penalty for offensive players who lower their head to draw the penalty. But that makes too much sense.

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should put in there "In the Spirit of the game" somewhere in there.
That should fuck things up even more.

Kind of like the "head and neck area", which includes anything and everything even if it's not the head or neck, just as long as it meets the threshold of "damn, that poor fella sure got lit up".

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting comes from lazy tackling and piss poor teaching. You want to get rid of leading with the helmet?.......take their fucking helmet away from them until they get to high school.
i know, right

whatever happened to planting your shoulder in his guts and wrapping up?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College overtime is about as good as it can be.

I'm interested in the 2pt play thing.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why have a cow over how long the current overtime is.

That 5-7 OT game only happens like once a year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are that far against extending games then just call the fucking tie after 4 OT's. Going to an even more convoluted scheme to attempt to break a tie is just dumb.

If the game goes to an 8th overtime, the winner will be decided by a best 2 of 3 paper, rock, scissor match at the 50 yard line.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targetting penalty is already a joke. So lets give the refs the power to make a kid miss up to 3 games? Nah I’m good, they suck at their job as it is across the board at all levels. They don’t need any more power to screw up kids draft stock.

Also why not just have a punt, pass, and kick contest for OT? NCAA is fricken stupid, just move the damn ball back to the other team’s 45 yard line. They need to lengthen the damn field not shorten it. Typical stupidity.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ticks me off is targeting seems to be a defensive foul only for the most part. I have seen very, very few targeting calls against offensive players when they lead with their helmet. Running backs for sure. They initiate contact with their head just as much the tackler in some cases. And some have also popped a defenders head straight back when throwing a stiff arm!
It seems that any ball carrier is immune to such rules.
Always been that way.
Agreed. The worst offenders are when the running back lowers his head to run, and makes helmet to helmet contact with the defender yet targetting is called on the defense.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually steps ought to be taken to avoid tie games.

Adjust the scoring.

Eliminate the 1-pt conversion and make them go for 2 from the 5-yard line on every TD.

Move the hashmarks into pro levels. Then adjust the scoring on fg's. 2 pts anything under
27 yards. 3 pts for 27-50 yards. 4 pts 50+ yards.

I'd move the hashmarks because a fg with the l.o.s. at the 5 yard line and kicking from a
hashmark is a tough kick to make. Move those hashmarks and the kick becomes a gimmee.

DallasSucks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting should be

1st offense-15 yard penalty, player suspended for the rest of the series. (Similar to a penalty box situation )

2nd offense-through review, player ejected from game and suspended for next week (if foul occurs in second half)

I hate that a player through nothing more than physics and judgement can be ejected and impacted the next week as well on the first offense

As for OT

I’d rather they move the ball back to the 35 yard line and make teams go for 2 points at the start of OT.

I’d also like to see NFL Clock rules with a 4 minute warning in the 2nd and 4th Q and then a switch to first downs stopping the clock.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the OT rules.

The targeting rule is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Way to much impact on a game. 15 yards is fine.
Agree.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It affected my team of course, but this is the first bullshit call I thought of.
This is my go-to bullshit targeting ejection.
35.0.gif

No 35 (which looks like 36 at first) is the one ejected.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ticks me off is targeting seems to be a defensive foul only for the most part. I have seen very, very few targeting calls against offensive players when they lead with their helmet. Running backs for sure. They initiate contact with their head just as much the tackler in some cases. And some have also popped a defenders head straight back when throwing a stiff arm!
I agree. Ninety percent of qB sneaks the QB leads with his head and it is never even considered. Same thing with running back dive plays on very short yardage. I can see the ref on the field many incorrect calls. but the replay booth needs to be more discerning.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the "end in a tie".

Here is why, and I am not SEC fan but this is a likely possibility. Two undefeateds, say OK, and Ohio State and a 1 loss Clemson but winner of the ACC. Georgia and Alabama both undefeated going into the Conference Championship game.. A tie would create a two 12-0-1 co-champions.
So the playoff is Alabama, Georgia, OK and Ohio St. But if they play overtimes and end up with a gimmick overtime tie breaker then the loser is out of the playoff and Clemson is in. This could happen to any conference.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the "end in a tie".

Here is why, and I am not SEC fan but this is a likely possibility. Two undefeateds, say OK, and Ohio State and a 1 loss Clemson but winner of the ACC. Georgia and Alabama both undefeated going into the Conference Championship game.. A tie would create a two 12-0-1 co-champions.
So the playoff is Alabama, Georgia, OK and Ohio St. But if they play overtimes and end up with a gimmick overtime tie breaker then the loser is out of the playoff and Clemson is in. This could happen to any conference.
Conference championship games are absolutely games that should never end in a tie. Play until you have a winner.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the right move as far as targeting goes; but I don't like the new OT proposal. And I certainly don't think you should move it back to the 50 after the 4th OT. Instead, beginning with the 5th OT, move the ball up to the 10-yard line. And give teams the option of going for a one-point conversion during odd-numbered OT periods, but mandating a two-point try during even-numbered OT periods. You might not eliminate 7-OT games, but you definitely limit the amount of time the players spend on the field.