• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Rules Proposed:

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both for the better, I think...

Targeting penalties and games that go past four overtimes could be tweaked for the 2019 college football season.

Players are currently suspended for a game after committing a targeting foul. So if a player commits the foul in the first half, he misses the rest of the game he’s currently playing in. If he commits a targeting penalty in the second half, he misses the first half of the next game.

Under the new proposal, players who get their second targeting foul of the season would be ejected from the game and miss the entirety of their team’s next game.

“The targeting rule has been effective in changing player behavior,” NCAA secretary-rules editor and SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw said in a statement “The progressive penalty is to ensure that a player re-evaluates his technique, with coaching staff support, after he receives a targeting foul. Additionally, the instant replay review changes will ensure that when a player is disqualified, it is clearly warranted.”

Replay will no longer have a call ‘stand’
If targeting was called on the field in 2018 and officials could not conclusively rule on the penalty during replay review, the penalty stood and the player was ejected. The replay proposal for the 2019 season would eliminate that middle ground. Under the proposal, if a targeting foul is inconclusive on replay it will be overturned. Only fouls that are confirmed by replay will stand.

Both proposals would go into effect for the 2019 season if they are approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel.

Games that go to 5+ OT would have a big change
Are you ready for a significant change to the way that college football decides games that go past four overtimes?

The NCAA has been concerned about the length of football games and that concern came to the forefront after LSU and Texas A&M played a seven-overtime epic in 2018. A proposal from the rules committee would have made the final three overtimes of that game look a lot different.

“If a game reaches a fifth overtime, teams would run alternating 2-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line,” The NCAA’s release said. “This recommendation is being made to limit the number of plays from scrimmage and to bring the game to a conclusion.”

If it feels like the football version of penalty kicks to you, well, you’re not off-base. It would be a relatively random way of deciding a game that stretches beyond four overtimes.

Current NCAA rules mandate that teams must go for 2-point conversions after touchdowns starting in the third overtime. A two-minute break after the second and fourth overtimes is also being proposed. While those breaks are being proposed in the name of fatigue and player safety, they would also be adding additional minutes to the game length of multi-overtime games.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the OT rules.

The targeting rule is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Way to much impact on a game. 15 yards is fine.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the OT rules.

The targeting rule is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Way to much impact on a game. 15 yards is fine.
Disagree. Targeting can have long term consequences for both players. There has to be significant penalties to deter them...

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YAY! FINALLY … looking at changing that f'd up auto-eject on 'targeting'.

Wayyyy overdue!

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Targeting can have long term consequences for both players. There has to be significant penalties to deter them...

Flagrant hitting the punt returner while he is looking up, sure. I would be ok with a season long suspension.

Most of the ones I see are the offensive dropping at the last instant and it being called targeting.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flagrant hitting the punt returner while he is looking up, sure. I would be ok with a season long suspension.

Most of the ones I see are the offensive dropping at the last instant and it being called targeting.
There is that, I agree. Needs to be taken into account upon review...

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DeafOranguntan needs to actually express his thoughts as opposed to calling mine bullshit while adding nothing to the conversation...

I always try to offset the bullshit rating w a positive one.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the new targeting rule, but understand where it's coming from.
Now, they need to get all the conferences on the same page, as to what they call and don't call, because there are vast differences in that zshitt from conference to conference.

Do like the replay of ejections rule and the overtime rule, I'll have to wait and see if I like, if it ever really happens at all. Seems interesting.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about starting with the 5th overtime, you start at the 50 yard line

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One change to the targeting that I like is if the player gets a second targeting call, he is suspended
for the entire next game. I'd go a step farther. If someone is hit with a third targeting call, he'd
be done for the year.

Need to eliminate the thugs from football. It's kinda telling that so few are hit with a second targeting call.
That's actually amazing and if you study it, you would find that they are all intentional hits. They know what
they are doing. There's very few mistakes being made out there on targeting.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DeafOranguntan needs to actually express his thoughts as opposed to calling mine bullshit while adding nothing to the conversation...

I think it's pretty clear where I stand on it. I think it's a horrible rule change. Targeting's language in the rulebook is extremely loose. Offensive players can drop, intentionally drawing targeting penalties, and while I like review, I don't think that will completely overrule that (because by the letter of the poorly written rule, many of those are "targeting," and the person in the booth will be reluctant to overturn their colleague in a close call). I think suspension for an entire game is extremely harsh, when the vast majority of targeting calls are bullshit. Football is a physical sport, and players know that going in. You take some risks when you play it. I think 15 yards is plenty, or hell, make it halfway to the goal line. But ejecting players on what are extremely subjective calls, especially when refs in today's game have proven so poor, seems excessive to me.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are that far against extending games then just call the fucking tie after 4 OT's. Going to an even more convoluted scheme to attempt to break a tie is just dumb.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the new targeting rule. In my opinion, they rarely get targeting calls right... I understand that they replay is supposed to help with this and I may just have to see it in action, but this stuff is ridiculous. And I would be pretty angry to lose a player for potentially 2 games (current and next) for bogus calls.

@outofyourmind - I totally agree that all conferences need to get on the same page. In regards to overtime, I like the idea of moving them back 5 yards (maximum to the 50 yard line) for each overtime.

But what if we combined the proposed new rule and the 50 yard line idea... from the 5th overtime on, the ball is at the 50 and they are considered 2 point plays.... lol, nonstop hail marys and hook n ladders in those circumstances. Honestly sounds dumb, but that would be entertaining.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe moving the ball back to the 50 and giving them 4 downs to score might be okay, but does anubody
understand that moving the ball back to the 50 would result in 10-minute possessions?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it's a 1 play drive, 2 point conversion, do or die then.

What if it goes back and forth, are they going to go to commercial every single time or what. Get obliterated by commercials the last 15 minutes.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the alternating 2 point plays in extended OT games, but I think they should start doing that after two OTs.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting comes from lazy tackling and piss poor teaching. You want to get rid of leading with the helmet?.......take their fucking helmet away from them until they get to high school.