• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Rules Proposed:

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the alternating 2 point plays in extended OT games, but I think they should start doing that after two OTs.

What I don't like about it, is just being one play to decide a ball game.

They need to copy how the NFL settles a game in OT. Just do it using the College rules.
The NFL only plays to there's a winner in the playoffs. If two teams play to a tie in a game, they get 1 OT, in the regulars season to find a winner. If they don't get a winner, the game is a tie.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ticks me off is targeting seems to be a defensive foul only for the most part. I have seen very, very few targeting calls against offensive players when they lead with their helmet. Running backs for sure. They initiate contact with their head just as much the tackler in some cases. And some have also popped a defenders head straight back when throwing a stiff arm!

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate thatca targeting penalty in the second half bleeds into the next game. Rest of the game fine. First half, you’re out the whole game.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to fix part of the targeting rules, remove the non reviewable part of missing the first half of the next game for ejections in the second half. Allow for league offices to review and ensure it is fair. There really is no good argument against allowing it. It's not like those officials would be spending hundreds of hours a week checking them. That's the thing I hate the most.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't like about it, is just being one play to decide a ball game.
If it's after 2 OT possessions each, I have no problem with it. It would be exciting like penalty kicks after the two OT periods in soccer. Personally, I find the 4,5,6 OT games monotonous. Not a fan of NFL OT either. So, I like the balance of two max OT possessions followed by alternating 2 point conversions. Works for me!

Srini

Custom Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about starting with the 5th overtime, you start at the 50 yard line

Or have each successive overtime round start ten yards farther back, make it harder to stay tied as they go on.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Targeting can have long term consequences for both players. There has to be significant penalties to deter them...
I could not disagree more with this. While I agree on the concept, targeting calls have been wrongly assessed way more times than being right. And this unfortunately has a major impact on games. They need to start correctly assessing this penalty within a certain threshold before they start tweaking it.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not disagree more with this. While I agree on the concept, targeting calls have been wrongly assessed way more times than being right. And this unfortunately has a major impact on games. They need to start correctly assessing this penalty within a certain threshold before they start tweaking it.
I see. There is no conversation with some without throwing a bullshit rating out there. What is there to say it is bullshit? Using your head as a battering ram is good for your brain as it slams against your skull? You agree on the concept that it has been more often than not been wrongly assessed. Does this mean that (offensive) players are being coached to draw the penalty? You bet your ass they are. Is what is proposed an improvement? I think it is. Perfect? Nope, but an improvement as to how it has been handled...

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ticks me off is targeting seems to be a defensive foul only for the most part. I have seen very, very few targeting calls against offensive players when they lead with their helmet. Running backs for sure. They initiate contact with their head just as much the tackler in some cases. And some have also popped a defenders head straight back when throwing a stiff arm!

WATCH: Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb ejected after controversial targeting call that took Sooners TD off the board

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One change to the targeting that I like is if the player gets a second targeting call, he is suspended
for the entire next game. I'd go a step farther. If someone is hit with a third targeting call, he'd
be done for the year.

Need to eliminate the thugs from football. It's kinda telling that so few are hit with a second targeting call.
That's actually amazing and if you study it, you would find that they are all intentional hits. They know what
they are doing. There's very few mistakes being made out there on targeting.

This post bothers me. The idea that someone who gets a targeting penalty is a thug. How many times does the offensive player “create” the targeting by ducking his head? The truth is it is near impossible to control the penalty as a defensive player. The players are just moving too fast. Having a penalty concerned about where you hit a player is moronic. It should regulate HOW you hit the player and on both sides. If you hit a player with the crown of your head it’s a penalty. It should not matter where the contact occurs. I have seen way too many good tackles that were bordline high that have been called. The rule needs to regulate the cause, not the result

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post bothers me. The idea that someone who gets a targeting penalty is a thug. How many times does the offensive player “create” the targeting by ducking his head? The truth is it is near impossible to control the penalty as a defensive player. The players are just moving too fast. Having a penalty concerned about where you hit a player is moronic. It should regulate HOW you hit the player and on both sides. If you hit a player with the crown of your head it’s a penalty. It should not matter where the contact occurs. I have seen way too many good tackles that were bordline high that have been called. The rule needs to regulate the cause, not the result
You have to consider the source. He believes targeting is intentional. I mean you've read his BS before haven't you? Sometimes you have let idiots idiot and leave them be.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That proves nothing. If 100 target penalties get called 90-95 penalties are on the defense. Offense rarely gets it called. RBs are one of the biggest violators of the rule and they are rarely called for lowering their head.

Wasn't trying to prove anything. Just letting her know that it happens to offensive players also. Being a player from a team I watch it was still fresh on my mind.

RTider77

Voluntary Refugee.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole targeting rule is bs. Could have easily stuck with the "Spearing" or Unsportsmanlike Conduct rules. The current rule is the knee jerk reaction common to "administrators" in upper level education. No, I am not saying that concussions should not be an issue. Make the penalties stiffer, but, no ejection unless it was a definite unsportsmanlike act. There are a few in the upper echelons of the supossed "rule makers", just like our media, that do not have the best intentions for our greatest sport or, our our great country. They are liars and cover their reasons for their actions. :2cents:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole targeting rule is bs. Could have easily stuck with the "Spearing" or Unsportsmanlike Conduct rules. The current rule is the knee jerk reaction common to "administrators" in upper level education. No, I am not saying that concussions should not be an issue. Make the penalties stiffer, but, no ejection unless it was a definite unsportsmanlike act. There are a few in the upper echelons of the supossed "rule makers", just like our media, that do not have the best intentions for our greatest sport or, our our great country. They are liars and cover their reasons for their actions. :2cents:

I think the biggest issue is that it is officiated based on the result. That makes it a bad rule. You need to officiate the action. I am fine if they scrapped it and went to a broader definition of spearing. That would be any contact with the top of the helmet is a penalty. I would like to see it as a progressive penalty. The more you commit it, the heavier the penalty. I have always wanted a wrap rule. If you don’t attempt to wrap it is an illegal tackle, but I think that is probably too progressive and logical for the commitee to consider

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DeafOranguntan needs to actually express his thoughts as opposed to calling mine bullshit while adding nothing to the conversation...
you're not the only one that bitch monkey rates your post bullshit without expressing her thoughts. She did it to several posters on here including me.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see. There is no conversation with some without throwing a bullshit rating out there. What is there to say it is bullshit? Using your head as a battering ram is good for your brain as it slams against your skull? You agree on the concept that it has been more often than not been wrongly assessed. Does this mean that (offensive) players are being coached to draw the penalty? You bet your ass they are. Is what is proposed an improvement? I think it is. Perfect? Nope, but an improvement as to how it has been handled...
Dude, don't get upset because I voiced my opinion. You rated my reply to you as 'bullshit' and I could give a rat's ass. You also wrote a scathing post to someone who rated the same post bullshit but did not comment. I did and you still proceeded in a tantrum which is hilarious. That's great you think the new rule is an improvement. Go ahead and post a poll and see what the majority thinks. I am pretty sure they would agree with me and the others who rated you bullshit. IMO - they shouldn't be added or tweaking a rule to make things harsher when they aren't even assessing the penalty right most of the time. It is just too impactful on a game.

Last edited:

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the new targeting rule, but understand where it's coming from.
Now, they need to get all the conferences on the same page, as to what they call and don't call, because there are vast differences in that zshitt from conference to conference.

Do like the replay of ejections rule and the overtime rule, I'll have to wait and see if I like, if it ever really happens at all. Seems interesting.
Solid post. :agree:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should put in there "In the Spirit of the game" somewhere in there.
That should fuck things up even more.