• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL to have Deflation Investigation done in 2-3 Days

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL aims to complete deflated ball investigation in 2-3 day

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

Tue, 20 Jan 2015 3:53 PM ET

Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, told Pro Football Talk the league wants to quickly wrap up its investigation into whether the Patriots overly deflated one or more footballs in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.

"We're hoping to wrap that up in the next two or three days," Vincent said. "The team is in place in New England now interviewing staff members.
"We obviously want to get that on the table, get that behind us so that we can really get back to the game itself."

Vincent added fans "want to know that everything's equal. The integrity of the game is so important."
The Colts detected something unusual after linebacker D'Qwell Jackson made a second quarter interception. Jackson gave the ball to a member of the team's equipment staff, and the staffer noticed the ball seemed underinflated.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick says the team is cooperating fully with the investigation but has not elaborated on the allegation. Quarterback Tom Brady laughed off the controversy. However, in 2011 he told WEEI he likes the way the football deflates following a vicious Rob Gronkowski spike."... When Gronk scores -- it was like his eighth touchdown of the year -- he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball," Brady told the radio station. "I love that, because I like the deflated ball. But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it take a multi-billion dollar corporation three days to check 12 footballs? I swear I could get it done in less than an hour in my garage with a inflator pin and a tire pressure guage. What do the have to do, bring in a special football squeezer?

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it take a multi-billion dollar corporation three days to check 12 footballs? I swear I could get it done in less than an hour in my garage with a inflator pin and a tire pressure guage. What do the have to do, bring in a special football squeezer?

They need a 10 member team to do that, plus lawyers from NE and the NFL, cameras, everybody needs to have mics attached to them. espn has to be there too

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a radio show today,NY sports radio, the new twist to the story was that, it wasn't if the balls were deflated, because they can lose air during the games or the balls could lose their seal and basically deflate throughout the game. Refs feel any difference through the game, they replace the ball, no problem, the problem they are looking at now, is if the mark the officials put on the ball when they check it, was on the ball in question, meaning they could of slipped a illegal ball, not checked into the balllbag after the game started. Now if that is the case, why is taking that long to verify, the ball was either marked or not when handed over to the officials.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can the marks not wear off during a game in those type conditions? I just can`t see this holding up. Too many possibilities unless they have irrefutable evidence someone purposely released air or "knowingly" put an unmarked ball into the game. The officials should be verifying that. Too much possible blame to go around. But it may lead to changes for next season?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 of 12 is fishy(3or4 would be an accident)if it is deemed that the pat actually deflated the balls,will BB be allowed to coach in SB.i know this is very premature & not all the facts are out,but what may happen

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 of 12 is fishy(3or4 would be an accident)if it is deemed that the pat actually deflated the balls,will BB be allowed to coach in SB.i know this is very premature & not all the facts are out,but what may happen

If this is found to be the case, how does Belichick not get suspended for at least a season? And how does Kraft keep him around and maintain the image of "The Patriot Way"?

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a radio show today,NY sports radio, the new twist to the story was that, it wasn't if the balls were deflated, because they can lose air during the games or the balls could lose their seal and basically deflate throughout the game. Refs feel any difference through the game, they replace the ball, no problem, the problem they are looking at now, is if the mark the officials put on the ball when they check it, was on the ball in question, meaning they could of slipped a illegal ball, not checked into the balllbag after the game started. Now if that is the case, why is taking that long to verify, the ball was either marked or not when handed over to the officials.

Obviously this station had some bad info. Now 11 of 12 balls underinflated wtf is that. Something is up, if officials checked them before the game. Just ridiculous and the officials handle them during the game and didn't notice a that difference ? Someone has to answer to this, cause isn't the ballboy the only one, besides the officials handling the balls during gametime.

patspa

PATS SEEKING SEVEN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is found to be the case, how does Belichick not get suspended for at least a season? And how does Kraft keep him around and maintain the image of "The Patriot Way"?

Well if it is found out to be the case , whoever deflated them, the ballboy is incharge of them on the sidelines and rotates them in on possession changes, do not think he would do this on his own, without being instructed by someone. And 11 deflations on the sideline , I think would draw attention from someone, with all the people around and cameras always panning the sidelines and no on noticed.

And if it is found out, you are right BB should face serious punishment it is just embarassing, they are a good team,that doesn't need this bs to win. And if it is proven wrongdoing and they go on to win the SB, how can it be taken seriously,without any speculations if it was legit or not. Thanks BB for the future accusations.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously this station had some bad info. Now 11 of 12 balls underinflated wtf is that. Something is up, if officials checked them before the game. Just ridiculous and the officials handle them during the game and didn't notice a that difference ? Someone has to answer to this, cause isn't the ballboy the only one, besides the officials handling the balls during gametime.

The ballboy is not the only one that handles them during the game. Essentially anybody on that sideline can handle those balls. Heck the team has the balls for 2 hours before the game even starts so it wouldn't even have to happen on the sideline during the game for the balls to have been changed.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the standard operating proceedure: Refs measure footballs, and give to the ball attendant right before kickoff. It's unlikely they're deflating them on the sidelines (especially in a high profile game)

I think they doctor the valves as part of their ball prep to slowly bleed air, which would explain why they were so low after the balls were collected and sent to the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once a cheating franchise, ALWAYS a cheating franchise. Pats should lose ALL draft picks in upcoming draft if it is proved they intentionally deflated the footballs. That's the only way the NFL will get across to these cheaters. And who the hell knows how long they've been doing this? If you honestly believe this is the first time they've done this, you are in some serious denial.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got that off your chest big guy?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's show NFL Insiders is reporting that 11 of 12 footballs were found to be under inflated at half time. They aired the balls back up for the second half. The Colts balls were tested and found no issues.

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just watching a preview for Patriot Wednesday Live and Troy Brown said that, with all the QBs coming out about their preferences for certain ball inflation, maybe Tom Brady needs to take blame for this. I found it interesting that he was willing to toss Brady under the bus like that, but I found it refreshing from a guy who probably values the integrity of the organization over individuals.

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Perillo says that there was a report that the Colts reported to the NFL about under inflated balls after their last game in November.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of you football geniuses.......what competitive advantage does a QB have using an underinflated football? Please explain any scientific proof that the football will perform better with less air. This ismpart of the problem that the NFL is having. The guidelines for inflation of 12.5 to 13.5 psi is to insure that the ball performs to a certain standard. Overinflation improves flight, speed, spin and reluctance to gravity. Underinflation causes the ball to wobble, flies slower, is pulled down much quicker by gravity and cannot travel as far. The fear is that the home team would underinflate the balls provided to the visiting team.

Every Patriot hater wants Belichick suspended. The NFL has to have absolute proof that he deflated those balls or instructed someone to do so. They literally have to have him on camera or tape. Every Patriot hater wants the Patriots to lose draft picks. The total nut cases want the Patriots bounced from the Super Bowl and the Colts to be allowed to play in their stead. The NFL is going to repeat the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson debacles. They will attempt to find out who, if anyone deflated the balls. Then they must prove whether or not that person acted on their own or if they were instructed or ordered by someone else to deflate the balls. All of this have to be proven beyond a doubt.

It doesn't matter what the outcome of this situation is...........it'll be a lifetime of "Cheaters, Cheaters, Cheaters"...................

What will they find when the Patriots go to the Super Bowl next year??