• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL teams are hoping Sam test the FA Market

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to a FA move or trade. My memory is bad, but I can't remember the last guy they brought in the wasn't an over-the-hill/past his prime FA. They've definitely hit on a few defensive guys in the draft. But hell with all those picks, you're gonna hit a few. Thank God they did.
Well than that would be Quinn maybe some would say Hekker but I'm sure you are talking about non roster free agents.

I did like the Kenny Britt move and Cook wasn't over the hill but he has been drastically under used, still a decent starter.

That said, I'm gonna say it was Cortland Finnegan. I think we got him at age 27 after he had 6 years in the league. He had one of his best years as a Pro with the Rams in 2012.

I think he was a good move until the combo circumstance of the eye injury and the Tim Walton defense.

Imagine how well Cortland would have fit with the Greg Williams defense in 2012!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finnegan went downhill fast and he is doubtful to return to the Dolphins this year. In that regard, we got one good year out of the dude even though he was relatively young. I am sure we will get more out of Barron than we did with Finnegan.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Barron trade was a steal at a time where it looked like the Rams needed a desperation trade. Turns out, Tampa Bay was even more desperate and ridiculous in that firesale of a deal.

My ass teams view Bradford as safer than Mariota or Winston. Bradford and a top 10 pick on someone other than a QB is safer than Mariota or Winston.

QB is a need but the Rams lost a couple of early games because of their defense and a couple of games due to their interior oline. Interior oline is easily fixed. Defensive depth is something that can be fixed. The Rams are stuck at QB unless another team gets stupid.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with taking QB's in the first rd is terrifying for coaches and GM's because it ties you forever with that QB. And if you miss it will almost certainly cost you your job. Mariota is a big time risk coming out of the Oregon system with almost endless questions if he will be able to play in a traditional NFL offense. Unless your the Eagles of course. Winston is a more NFL ready pocket QB but still a lot of questions if he will be able to make good split decision passes and reads without a ton of turnovers. And then you have the off field stuff. That's why NFL teams feel safer when their job is on the line taking a guy like Sam because you know exactly what you are going to get even though the ceiling might not be as high. That makes him a safer pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why NFL teams feel safer when their job is on the line taking a guy like Sam because you know exactly what you are going to get even though the ceiling might not be as high. That makes him a safer pick.
There is literally nothing safe about Sam Bradford at this point. Health is a skill.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but coaches Usually don't get fired over player injuries. Injuries or just part of football. Taking a QB that bust in the top 5 will get you fired. I'm just saying coaches and GM's are terrified of doing it. That was just terrible luck Bradford tearing his ACL for the second time like that. I heard that was an 8 percent chance of that happening.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again this is why Shanahan wanted Bradford over RG3. RG3 coming out of Baylor's system was an unknown in the NFL. Only exception is a guy like Luck or Manning coming out.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again this is why Shanahan wanted Bradford over RG3. RG3 coming out of Baylor's system was an unknown in the NFL. Only exception is a guy like Luck or Manning

Whoops you almost got me there, I guess I better go to vent thread!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam is owed 14m by the Rams this year. Realistically the only way Sam stays is if he does something pro athletes and agents simply don't do. Take a big pay cut. Say Sam agreed to restructure for 6m with another 6m in incentives if he plays say 14 of 16 games. That's probably what the Rams would like to do. But how realistic is that to ask of someone. Especially when the agent knows if the Rams cut him some team will offer a multiple year contract with up front money. This is the QB position we are talking about and teams don't care how many knee injuries he has had. Teams will do crazy things if they think they are getting a quality QB. The truth is Sam could pick what team he wants to play for. Imagine what Houston would do to get a QB like him with that defense. Or buffalo, Cleveland the list goes on. Bottom line if he takes a pay cut to stay in STL he is a better person then 99.9% of the people on this planet.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw Josh McCown was just cut by the Bucs.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam is owed 14m by the Rams this year. Realistically the only way Sam stays is if he does something pro athletes and agents simply don't do. Take a big pay cut. Say Sam agreed to restructure for 6m with another 6m in incentives if he plays say 14 of 16 games. That's probably what the Rams would like to do. But how realistic is that to ask of someone. Especially when the agent knows if the Rams cut him some team will offer a multiple year contract with up front money. This is the QB position we are talking about and teams don't care how many knee injuries he has had. Teams will do crazy things if they think they are getting a quality QB. The truth is Sam could pick what team he wants to play for. Imagine what Houston would do to get a QB like him with that defense. Or buffalo, Cleveland the list goes on. Bottom line if he takes a pay cut to stay in STL he is a better person then 99.9% of the people on this planet.

So let me get this straight cougar, Sam will have the pickens on what team he wants to play for and teams will shell out tons of money for a injury prone QB? So what has Sam proved to warren that kind of bread on the FA scene? If anything it would be a incentive laced contract maybe 1 or 2 years, but you gotta be smoking some serious loud to think Bradford would get lets say a 5 yr 50 mil contract from some other ball club.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what you are on, but I want some of it!!!!

Really " teams don't care how many knee injuries he has had". " he can pick what team he wants to play for"

Wow, he has NEVER done anything in his NFL career to warrant any team to even think that he is a " quality
QB"

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Sammie goes to Buffalo, he'll be playing with one of his ex-Rams buds. Richie incognito is headed to Buffalo to play for Rex Ryan and Ryan wouldn't tolerate any fails by Sammie either.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight cougar, Sam will have the pickens on what team he wants to play for and teams will shell out tons of money for a injury prone QB? So what has Sam proved to warren that kind of bread on the FA scene? If anything it would be a incentive laced contract maybe 1 or 2 years, but you gotta be smoking some serious loud to think Bradford would get lets say a 5 yr 50 mil contract from some other ball club.

If the Rams cut him yes. He will have multiple teams wanting him. He would be at the top free-agent quarterback available by far. So he could choose whatever team he would like to go too. My guess is Houston. No not 50m. More like 3 year 20m I'm guessing. Carson Palmer just got 3 year 50m btw.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what you are on, but I want some of it!!!!

Really " teams don't care how many knee injuries he has had". " he can pick what team he wants to play for"

Wow, he has NEVER done anything in his NFL career to warrant any team to even think that he is a " quality
QB"

But scouts and GM's remember his pro day and the flashes he has shown on some very bad Ram teams. They start thinking if he's on our team we can fix him. Yes they will take a chance on his knee. He has that much talent to pass up. It's really a case of supply and demand the FA market is bad so Sam really lucked out.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So didn't Jake Locker have a good pro day too?? What happened to him, oh yeah that's right highly inaccurate and injury prone. Seriously I may give up Ciroc just to try some of that Loud you smoking.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So didn't Jake Locker have a good pro day too?? What happened to him, oh yeah that's right highly inaccurate and injury prone. Seriously I may give up Ciroc just to try some of that Loud you smoking.

Believe it or not Bradford has been way more durable than Locker. Sam has played in 49 games in his first 4 years compared to 30 for Locker in his first 4 years. Sam also showed way more promise on the field he has thrown for twice as much yardage as Locker and has a TD/Int ratio of 59/38 compared to Locker 27/22. In other words Locker sucks.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch it guys, the vent is close. I think a incentive contract is what Bradford gets if the Rams cut him which they won't.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch it guys, the vent is close. I think a incentive contract is what Bradford gets if the Rams cut him which they won't.

I find it fascinating on what might happen. If they do cut him and if the reports are true that multiple QB desperate teams want him.... Then they will have to pay him in order to to land him. He will definitely get some guaranteed money with a 2 or 3 year contract.