• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL robs the Steelers

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about if a defender put his helmet on the ball before it touched the ground, after it crossed the goal line and jarred it loose? Knee down, complete control, football move.

The rule is a joke and must be abolished. There is a difference between "surviving the ground" on a catch, and making a football move after a catch resulting in a fumble/bobble. And absolutely when the goal line is involved, the football move should take precedence.
I am not defending the rule, which seems to be really stupid but it is indisputable that the rule was applied correctly.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know it was posted 100,000,000 times but this is why I never watch games with other random Steeler fans

Barstool Sports

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not defending the rule, which seems to be really stupid but it is indisputable that the rule was applied correctly.

That's the thing. I disagree. "Surviving the ground" to complete a catch is not the same as making a football move with control of the ball. The fact that it is on the goal line only enhances the football move, as at that time the plays is no longer securing the catch, he is reaching for the goal line.

If James was "securing the catch and surviving the ground", (at the 2, or at mid-field), the entire play after his knee hits the ground is different....he would in fact secure the catch (with no goal line or 1st down to cross), and go down in unison with his momentum. For a 1st down, or in this case, I think the rule should not apply because he is no longer securing the catch, as he has control of the ball and making a football move towards a mark.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing. I disagree. "Surviving the ground" to complete a catch is not the same as making a football move with control of the ball. The fact that it is on the goal line only enhances the football move, as at that time the plays is no longer securing the catch, he is reaching for the goal line.

If James was "securing the catch and surviving the ground", (at the 2, or at mid-field), the entire play after his knee hits the ground is different....he would in fact secure the catch (with no goal line or 1st down to cross), and go down in unison with his momentum. For a 1st down, or in this case, I think the rule should not apply because he is no longer securing the catch, as he has control of the ball and making a football move towards a mark.
We disagree. I don't think it could be any clearer.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sorry to post again.

Trust me I already felt the Steelers lost that game prior, no excuse for the stupid call from me.
I, like you don't understand the difference?
Then also the Jets games:

One would think with the new tacky gloves these guys wear they'd be able to hold onto the ball a little better and stop causing their team losses.

Speaking of losing the ball. How's brittle bitch David Carr's brittle hand doing?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had James' TD counted, I think Brady had 38 seconds left anyway. Steelers lose either way. This call (never one call) cannot be the "reason" for a W/L. Period.

But everyone and their dogs know that was a catch in reality... just not on paper...sort of.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care who you root for, that is some funny stuff right there.
Yes it is. I wonder if he is the same guy that had the heart attack on this play?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know it's a catch, just not by rule.
Since we all know it's one thing, but they insist it on calling it something else, let's call it the Bruce Jenner rule.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a run, yes. But on a pass, the receiver needs to maintain control to the ground regardless of where the catch is made, endzone included.
yep, kinda stupid but its the rule, was the right call

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say this. I root for the Steelers to lose every game on the worst call in the history of calls. The fact that this wasn't a bad call but many Steelers fans think it was a bad call is great.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The refs threw and picked up the flag on this one (Steelers first TD)... blown/bad calls go both ways over the course of the game/season.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about this one:

He wasn't falling or diving as he caught it. He caught it, planted 2 feet in the EZ in full control, then dove to the ground OB where the ball came loose. If that's not what you see there you might want to look at it again.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't falling or diving as he caught it. He caught it, planted 2 feet in the EZ in full control, then dove to the ground OB where the ball came loose. If that's not what you see there you might want to look at it again.
thevideo dontt even work

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The refs threw and picked up the flag on this one (Steelers first TD)... blown/bad calls go both ways over the course of the game/season.
Looks like they are engaged in blocking or enough so they are not considered ineligible receivers downfield.

Most folks, like the guy who tweeted this, don't know about this caveat of that rule, but they can be downfield if they are blocking....

Another caveat is if the pass is thrown behind the LOS, linemen are allowed to go downfield to block before the pass is thrown.

I don't know if this was a screen play or not but then too if it was, it would give cause as to why the flag was picked up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must be the salty tears that have allowed this thread to flourish to 24 pages.

Or all the manure:noidea:

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they are engaged in blocking or enough so they are not considered ineligible receivers downfield.

Most folks, like the guy who tweeted this, don't know about this caveat of that rule, but they can be downfield if they are blocking....

Another caveat is if the pass is thrown behind the LOS, linemen are allowed to go downfield to block before the pass is thrown.

I don't know if this was a screen play or not but then too if it was, it would give cause as to why the flag was picked up.

Yeah... Matt Chatham... What does he know?!?! He only has 3 SB rings. :L