• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL MVP Debate

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Aaron Rodgers
2.) Peyton Manning
3.) Andrew Luck

Tell me I'm wrong. :whistle:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it is Rodgers and then everybody else. He would completely have to tank these last couple of games in order to not win the MVP.

Next on the list would probably be Watt. I think there would be a lot of sympathetic voters out there that because a defensive player has so much trouble even standing a chance of winning the award that he would get some votes.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of voters actually have JJ Watt second behind Rodgers right now. Personally I like Watt to get it. He's been a monster all season long and hasn't had a bad game. Plus he's done it despite not getting much help from his team. We saw yesterday that Rodgers needs help too, when his receivers are dropping balls suddenly Rodgers looks pretty ordinary. I think it's between those two, but it's a QB league so if I had to put money on it I'd say Rodgers gets it.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, just imagine if the Texans had had a complimentary DE lining up on the other side of Watt all season? :shocked:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next on the list would probably be Watt. I think there would be a lot of sympathetic voters out there that because a defensive player has so much trouble even standing a chance of winning the award that he would get some votes.

The writer's only get one vote. There is no 2nd place vote. My guess is that it will be Rodgers in a landslide with one or two votes from some regional writer for Manning and Luck. I doubt Watt even gets a single vote.

Watt is great but anyone who turns his one and only vote in for him should have his voting privileges stripped from them. If there were 2nd and 3rd place votes, I would expect Watt to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Complete aside: How is it that we still let sport's writers vote on these things? Easily the dumbest, least knowledgeable group in all of sports. Drives me nuts they still let those idiots vote for the HOF.

Last edited by a moderator:
North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it is Rodgers and then everybody else. He would completely have to tank these last couple of games in order to not win the MVP.

Manning is right there with him in the discussion, all Rodgers needs to do is tank vs Detroit which is very possible in last game of season and I think Manning wins it easily.

I do not see Watt having a chance... team is not in playoff discussion, he is on defense that is #25 yards/#7 scoring and he needs 6-7 sacks to break the sacks record.

For someone other than QB (or RB in the past) to get MVP, they need almost a record breaking season or be a part of a unit that is very dominating.

Only 2 defensive players have ever won the MVP, other than that it is always a QB or RB (and 1 time a placekicker of all positions).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writer's only get one vote. There is no 2nd place vote. My guess is that it will be Rodgers in a landslide with one or two votes from some regional writer for Manning and Luck. I doubt Watt even gets a single vote.

Watt is great but anyone who turns his one and only vote in for him should have his voting privileges stripped from them. If there were 2nd and 3rd place votes, I would expect Watt to finish 2nd or 3rd.

Complete aside: How is it that we still let sport's writers vote on these things? Easily the dumbest, least knowledgeable group in all of sports. Drives me nuts they still let those idiots vote for the HOF.

I didn't say they were casting their 2nd place votes as I realize they only get the one. I was saying that I could see a few of the voters deciding that Watt is the sexy pick with him being a defensive player. You always have those 2-3 voters that like to go outside the conventional thinking for voting.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning is right there with him in the discussion, all Rodgers needs to do is tank vs Detroit which is very possible in last game of season and I think Manning wins it easily.

I do not see Watt having a chance... team is not in playoff discussion, he is on defense that is #25 yards/#7 scoring and he needs 6-7 sacks to break the sacks record.

For someone other than QB (or RB in the past) to get MVP, they need almost a record breaking season or be a part of a unit that is very dominating.

Only 2 defensive players have ever won the MVP, other than that it is always a QB or RB (and 1 time a placekicker of all positions).

Manning took himself out of the race with his November and part of December play. Throwing 2 picks a game in something like 3 or 4 of the games in that span. Rodgers would really have to tank in my opinion like throw 5 picks and 0 touchdowns while Manning lights the scoreboard up. With the new found run game for the Broncos I don't see them all of a sudden switching back to the old way of go out and see how fast we can score.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point... but better than the fans voting on it, than it becomes a popularity contest.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Watt is that bad of a choice depending on what you look at. Personally I always view the MVP exactly by what it says, Most Valuable Player which means a players value is diminished if they are on a bad team which what is. If you look at it as the person who had the best season then Watt deserves some votes considering he is the most dominating defensive player in the league, you have to account for him on every play and he even has five TDs this year which is more than a lot of offensive players.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will they stop giving the MVP to quarterbacks? Can't they create a Cy Young award for QBs so that the MVP is fair to other positions?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarco Murray?

There it is. Dallas was supposed to be a 6 wins team at best. But because of the running game, we have had a chance to win more.

Murray is responsible for quite a few wins all by himself.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nominate Bill Leavy, he has decided the outcome of more games than any of them.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will they stop giving the MVP to quarterbacks? Can't they create a Cy Young award for QBs so that the MVP is fair to other positions?

When qb's stop being more valuable than any other position.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of voters actually have JJ Watt second behind Rodgers right now. Personally I like Watt to get it. He's been a monster all season long and hasn't had a bad game. Plus he's done it despite not getting much help from his team. We saw yesterday that Rodgers needs help too, when his receivers are dropping balls suddenly Rodgers looks pretty ordinary. I think it's between those two, but it's a QB league so if I had to put money on it I'd say Rodgers gets it.
~~
this