• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Low TV Ratings: It will get worse

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would also be interesting to see a comparison of College Football TV ratings compared to the NFL TV ratings. If both have decreased it could mean its a problem for the sport as a whole. If just NFL TV ratings are decreasing then its strictly an NFL related problem. Almost all football fans watch the college games on Saturday and the NFL games on Sunday. I don't know anyone who is just a fan of CFB or NFL while not liking the other.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz... After last week I don't blame seaquack fans for saying that.
If you were a student of this game for quite some time, you would have seen a dramatic increase in flags thrown and the pussification of the NFL.
I'm an old school cat and I am good with that. Too many wrap the game around fantasy and prefer the high scoring O with a don't touch me D.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lulz... After last week I don't blame seaquack fans for saying that.

Fine. Should've called pass interference on Sherman. Should've also called pass interference on Falcons to Kearse which would've put it at the 1 yard line instead of a next down missed field goal. Should've also called illegal hands to the face against Julio.

You Packers fans are more whiny than Rodgers, I swear... course that explains where you get it from.

Honestly I'd rather just see no flags at all on all of those players, as it would've nullified each other anyway. And then we have less fans and announcers bitching about flags and stoppages in the game. Since receivers 90% of the time these days are constantly bitching for a flag, it's obnoxious. Just like the Kam bogus PI call and Offensive PI from Tate in your blessed GB/SEA game that you guys are still bitching about.

The problem now with the NFL is all the douchey announcers and public media bitching about calls 24/7... as a result of HD views and PERFECT camera angles. Refs are never going to see all that... and the mentality of let them play is generally more preferred by individuals, for the exact reasons I pointed out above.

"OMGOMGOMGGGGG THIS PLAY WAS THE REASON WE LOST!"
*counter argument*
"What about this play? This would've resulted in that."
"BUT THIS MEANT THE END OF THE GAME!"
"It would've never come to that play (likely) if the aforementioned one was called."
*generally silence since there is no counter argument except a stupid one*

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alternate media is a contributing factor. People watching on their phones, computers, ipads, etc aren't really being counted.

It doesn't help that it has been a pretty lackluster season without any dominant teams to this point. Well, at least not the usual type of dominant, as the Vikings' and Broncos' ball control and defense styles don't exactly excite casual fans much.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will say most of the times it's just 'people' being stupid whiny people.

Oh how I howled and moaned about SBOWL 2005. Why? Because I was pissed we lost and wanted to blame it on something when really the only stupid call was Hasselbeck's 'illegal tackle' which was a minor 15 yards. Yet even Holmgren in hindsight sounded like a moron saying we had to beat the zebras too.

And it was because I was pissed we lost and wanted a scapegoat. Yes there's legit bad calls and ones that can actually impact playoffs/SBOWL (like when Vinny T. scooted the ball forward - the REASON the replay was invented) but it's far and few between.

I can't remember that game for the life of me, but that was a fault of technology and who knows if Seattle had some call that went their way earlier in the game.

Usually when I start blabbing about the refs whether here or to friends/family, it's because I'm pissed off we lost the game. Not legitimately pissed at the refs. But I know the score is the score and I don't want to rage about what my team did bad, so I just rage about the refs.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alternate media is a contributing factor. People watching on their phones, computers, ipads, etc aren't really being counted.

It doesn't help that it has been a pretty lackluster season without any dominant teams to this point. Well, at least not the usual type of dominant, as the Vikings' and Broncos' ball control and defense styles don't exactly excite casual fans much.

Brady helps but he's nearing the end of his career.

There's no crazy good QB to watch tear the league apart right now. Every year the NFL PRAYED for a Manning/Brady matchup whether in playoffs, SBOWL, etc.

Newton is a whiny crybaby. Most people are starting to get annoyed with him and the Panthers suck.
Wilson's good, but he's not a Brady/Manning. And now his flashy ability, running is gone because of injury.
Vikings have SAM BRADFORD? Nobody cares.
Brady is old, but now that he's back it might help.
Rodgers is in a huge funk.
Brees is old.
Ryan/Dalton are gingers.
Andrew Luck... maybe? Team is 2-4...

NFL is super hyping Dak and Elliott at the moment because they are the flashy new guys.

But no Lynch, no AP, Brady old, Manning retired, Rodgers playing weird. This year seems a bit dull. And we didn't even get captain butt fumble starting for the Browns.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm used to them. However i guarantee its contributing to the decrease in ratings.

That's counterintuitive because there weren't any major rule changes from last year to this year, and there isn't a big difference in overall flags. But last year, the NFL set rating records.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo....Red Zone channel, and fantasy football, are 2 huge culprits for me......I actually think fantasy football has made thousands, if not millions, of NFL fans, more interested in their fantasy teams, than their favorite teams, and will find themselves locked into the red zone, and not on a particular game on CBS or Fox....Or staring at the computer or phone/......
This. More & more people I know spend Sundays with the Red Zone channel & the iPad or tablet, not watching one game on TV. They're more interested in how their fantasy team is doing than anything else.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady helps but he's nearing the end of his career.

There's no crazy good QB to watch tear the league apart right now. Every year the NFL PRAYED for a Manning/Brady matchup whether in playoffs, SBOWL, etc.

Newton is a whiny crybaby. Most people are starting to get annoyed with him and the Panthers suck.
Wilson's good, but he's not a Brady/Manning. And now his flashy ability, running is gone because of injury.
Vikings have SAM BRADFORD? Nobody cares.
Brady is old, but now that he's back it might help.
Rodgers is in a huge funk.
Brees is old.
Ryan/Dalton are gingers.
Andrew Luck... maybe? Team is 2-4...

NFL is super hyping Dak and Elliott at the moment because they are the flashy new guys.

But no Lynch, no AP, Brady old, Manning retired, Rodgers playing weird. This year seems a bit dull. And we didn't even get captain butt fumble starting for the Browns.
You forgot Big Ben, but he's injured at this writing too.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot Big Ben, but he's injured at this writing too.

Ah yes.

Yah there's just no real amazing team. Seattle has won some on the back of 'meh' performances but no major fan fave like Lynch. Brady is just coming back and I think people are getting tired of him. Rodgers meh, Ben (the flash offense) is injured.

The one undefeated team (the Vikings) rely heavily on their defense and majority get bored watching that because they need 35-28 scores to be entertained or to rack up stupid fantasy points.

It's also a major election year. I don't know what the stats are 8 years ago but I wouldn't be surprised. This year is more hyped up than the last election because it's 2 new people... and Trump and Clinton are like watching a fucking comedy 24/7.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I was listening to Colin Cowherd and he said that the amount of people watching football is actually up this year. They just arent watching for as long so the overall numbers are down.

2. Next, he was saying that the 49ers ratings are actually higher and that Kapernick hasnt affected the NFL at all.

3. I'm struggling with the officiating and commercials...

Play (2 minute warning) COMMERCIAL, Touchdown, COMMERCIAL, Extra point, COMMERCIAL, kickoff, COMMERCIAL, 3 plays till half time, COMMERCIAL.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Buck and Bob Costas
Flagapalooza
Primadonna asshats
Bad QB play
No hitting allowed

I still watch the redskins weekly but not watching jets/ cards,bears/packers etc

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Thursday night games are turds. Total money grab by the league. Every once in a while a good game breaks out, but they're typically blowouts where one team packs it in early. The only way they can make the Thursday product not shit is to set up the games so that they involve teams coming off the bye each week. Expecting teams to get ready to play an NFL game with one day of practice is nuts.
Case in point: tonight's game. Chicago at Green Bay? Please. That'll be a slaughterhouse. I'd rather watch my Center Ice preview. Let's Go Pens!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened to all the talk of Goodell being so irreplaceable to the NFL because he rakes in the cash for them?

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL regular season games have become unwatchable.Too many commercials, way to many flags, unlikable players, boring games, 80% of teams are straight horse crap. College Football is where its at, IMO.

I can't remember the last time I watched an entire regular season game or even a half, other than my beloved Lions.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like a possible reason for the lower ratings. Would be good to know how they measure. For example, I watch several games on laptop or smart phone (with NFL Game Pass); these are direct CBS, ESPN, etc. feeds. Does the fact that you watch from a device and not the TV affect viewer ratings?