• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL TV deal getting close to getting done. And how that could effect this year.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL is inching closer to finalizing another 10 year deal with all the networks.

Long and short is that it looks like all the major networks will continue to carry their respective packages. The only change is that it looks as if Amazon will win the Thursday night package.

The other take away is that the league is going to be flush with cash. A 75% to 100% increase in cost to the networks.

10-year TV deals could be done "within a month" - ProFootballTalk

Why this is important right now: There are some people who believe the NFL will steal a little of this future money and apply it to the 2021 cap. So instead of just having $180M for cap ceiling, we could all of a sudden see a $200M cap. That would dig an awful lot of teams out of a cap hell that they are about to find themselves in.

Where are you getting the word of the increase to the 2021 cap to $200m? I can't find this anywhere.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Sunday Ticket/out-of-market streaming going to move away from just DirecTV finally? Or is that sh*t still gonna continue? I dumped DirecTV this year but would still like the option of watching Bears games at home...
Some one can correct if I’m wrong, but I do think that’s a separate deal. And I feel like they had just renewed that one a year or two ago for like ten years or something like that.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some one can correct if I’m wrong, but I do think that’s a separate deal. And I feel like they had just renewed that one a year or two ago for like ten years or something like that.

10 years? Wtf? I thought at&t was trying to ween off the dish and push att tv.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is Sunday Ticket/out-of-market streaming going to move away from just DirecTV finally? Or is that sh*t still gonna continue? I dumped DirecTV this year but would still like the option of watching Bears games at home...
From what I was reading recently is seems the deal runs through 2022 but after that it looks like ATT whose trying to sell off DirecTV won't be renewing it and it sounds like the NFL doesn't want to lock it behind satellite anymore anyways. Amazon is in the early lead to pick it up and they make the most sense to pick it up.

It's not ideal but there is a workaround that I've been using the past few years and that's the international version of NFL Gamepass. There are some downsides to it but it's cheaper than Sunday Ticket and you get all the same perks that the US version of Gamepass in being able to rewatch games etc. You just need a VPN and set it to Brazil where it's the cheapest and on gameday set your country to the closet non North American country. Of course it's much more preferred to just be able to turn on the TV and go to the channel of the game you want but it's better than struggling to find streams of the game you want online.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years? Wtf? I thought at&t was trying to ween off the dish and push att tv.
I’m sure I could be wrong. I just remember when reading about it being PO’d.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure I could be wrong. I just remember when reading about it being PO’d.
The National Football League’s (NFL) out-of-market ‘Sunday Ticket’ rights package is set to be a primarily digital offer when the new broadcast partnership is agreed, according to Sports Business Journal (SBJ).

The incumbent broadcaster, AT&T-owned DirectTV, has made it clear it has little intention of renewing its deal when the contract expires at the conclusion of the 2021 NFL season. According to the report, Amazon Prime, ESPN+, NBC’s Peacock and DAZN have shown interest in a package which has underperformed for DirectTV, but SBJ says none of those parties have entered into formal talks

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had u verse for like 15 years

Uverse is done. I couldn't even get it if I wanted to when I switched over. It was AT&T TV streaming or DirecTV. AT&T streaming has worked pretty well. I was pretty concerned because I can only get 75mbps in my area tops...but so far I only had one instance of buffering shenanigans in 3 months time. Since AT&T TV is full on streaming and not through a box, they give you unlimited data. Not that we would ever hit 1 TB or more in my household, but it's just one less thing to worry about. (When my kid got Xbox for Christmas we hit 750 GB...and that was like 3 times our biggest month ever...and that was the initial week 1 rush for this and that game.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The National Football League’s (NFL) out-of-market ‘Sunday Ticket’ rights package is set to be a primarily digital offer when the new broadcast partnership is agreed, according to Sports Business Journal (SBJ).

The incumbent broadcaster, AT&T-owned DirectTV, has made it clear it has little intention of renewing its deal when the contract expires at the conclusion of the 2021 NFL season. According to the report, Amazon Prime, ESPN+, NBC’s Peacock and DAZN have shown interest in a package which has underperformed for DirectTV, but SBJ says none of those parties have entered into formal talks

So one more season of sports bar and then I can finally stop worrying about this...That's nice.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I was reading recently is seems the deal runs through 2022 but after that it looks like ATT whose trying to sell off DirecTV won't be renewing it and it sounds like the NFL doesn't want to lock it behind satellite anymore anyways. Amazon is in the early lead to pick it up and they make the most sense to pick it up.

It's not ideal but there is a workaround that I've been using the past few years and that's the international version of NFL Gamepass. There are some downsides to it but it's cheaper than Sunday Ticket and you get all the same perks that the US version of Gamepass in being able to rewatch games etc. You just need a VPN and set it to Brazil where it's the cheapest and on gameday set your country to the closet non North American country. Of course it's much more preferred to just be able to turn on the TV and go to the channel of the game you want but it's better than struggling to find streams of the game you want online.

I'd rather just go over to the sports bar for non-national Bears games than deal with the workaround stuff. Less grief trying to tech it out and I get chicken wings...

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 games is still dumb as fuck.
Yes, but there’s money to be made. An extra week of football is worth a zillion dollars and it also allows the NFL to push the season another week into February.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uverse is done. I couldn't even get it if I wanted to when I switched over. It was AT&T TV streaming or DirecTV. AT&T streaming has worked pretty well. I was pretty concerned because I can only get 75mbps in my area tops...but so far I only had one instance of buffering shenanigans in 3 months time. Since AT&T TV is full on streaming and not through a box, they give you unlimited data. Not that we would ever hit 1 TB or more in my household, but it's just one less thing to worry about. (When my kid got Xbox for Christmas we hit 750 GB...and that was like 3 times our biggest month ever...and that was the initial week 1 rush for this and that game.

Well that sucks because I actually liked u verse. Their customer service was atrocious but probably the best product

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is that pay TV the only way to watch TV?

the key word to my post was solely with regards to watching an NFL game
Understood. Might point was it might change faster than you think.
When I was a kid, all TV was free. "Pay TV" was voted in and the statement was "it will only be a couple of premium channels"
The detractors said, "yeah, just a couple to start. Eventually they'll want you to pay for everything"
Flash forward 50 years later, do you know anyone that watches free TV off an antennae?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting the word of the increase to the 2021 cap to $200m? I can't find this anywhere.

It was being speculated in the media that they would smooth the cap with the new TV deal money that should be signed in the next week. They were speculating that based on how the NFL is warning teams that they aren't going to come out with a hard cap number until a day or two before the league year starts.....which is abnormal. But that is just where the NFL is at in figuring out this thing

.....but it sure doesn't look like they are going to do it based on how teams are currently adjusting. Just based on the releases we have seen this week anyways.

.....but then you see the Watt contract. But Arizona is idiotic when it comes to signing new deals (go look at Hopkins contract moving forward....as laughable as it gets).

At this point I would guess that $185m is the number they are going to move forward with. But it still wouldn't shock me if the NFL gets a TV deal signed in the next week that they approach the NFLPA and try to negotiate a little more cap smoothing into this year.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood. Might point was it might change faster than you think.
When I was a kid, all TV was free. "Pay TV" was voted in and the statement was "it will only be a couple of premium channels"
The detractors said, "yeah, just a couple to start. Eventually they'll want you to pay for everything"
Flash forward 50 years later, do you know anyone that watches free TV off an antennae?
i know people who still use an antennae and its free When sat TV 1st started it was free but then it changed a cpl years later now everything is moving on to streaming which isnt free but a whole lot cheaper then sat or cable

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know people who still use an antennae and its free When sat TV 1st started it was free but then it changed a cpl years later now everything is moving on to streaming which isnt free but a whole lot cheaper then sat or cable
I could not get a single station in my place in Cali.
Now in Georgia, I can't get anything here either.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So one more season of sports bar and then I can finally stop worrying about this...That's nice.
u think its cheaper to go to a bar thats funny Cant get out of there for less than 50x17 thats $850

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u think its cheaper to go to a bar thats funny Cant get out of there for less than 50x17 thats $850
I very rarely go to bars. I never drink and drive. Not 1 drop.
Going to a bar for a game does get expensive but adding a cab to it makes it out of the question.
I use Gamepass.....