• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I believe free agents you bring in weigh against the ones you lose. Perhaps that is what Lynch was thinking in giving up a third for Sanders that they'll get a good comp pick the following year.

Yes it does and don't see us bringing in anyone significant. The top "free agents" we want are already on the team. We will look at depth but nothing on the level of Kittle and Buckner. I don't think even to the level of Armstead, Ward, or Sanders?

Sanders doesn't weigh into the comp pick formula, we brought him in via trade vice free agency.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it does and don't see us bringing in anyone significant. The top "free agents" we want are already on the team. We will look at depth but nothing on the level of Kittle and Buckner. I don't think even to the level of Armstead, Ward, or Sanders?

Sanders doesn't weigh into the comp pick formula, we brought him in via trade vice free agency.

If we lose Sanders to free agency why wouldn't the team get a comp pick for losing him?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we lose Sanders to free agency why wouldn't the team get a comp pick for losing him?

I would think we'd get consideration in comp picks, should Sanders leave?

i misread your earlier post, scratch that response.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Losing Ford is like losing two players — an outside speed rusher (Ford) and a dominant interior player in Armstead, who is forced to move to a role in which he's far less effective. It wouldn't be a surprise at all to see the 49ers try to add another edge rusher this offseason even though they already have two great young players at the position in Ford and Bosa.

I agree that if an opportunity arises, do add another pass rusher....a speed type like Dee Ford. The odds are low we get a quality FA or top prospect, but that should be the first look anyway. If no opportunity, then don't force it.

I'd even be fine spending the 1st rounder if value is there?

There are just too many good passers AND receivers including TE's. This draft is going to add even more quality WR's beginning with Alabama. The best defense is pressure and can't assume everyone stay's healthy all season. As we've just seen in the second half of our season, Ford's absence made a big impact on our D.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

If this CB is the value pick, fine with me. Whereas CB isn't a big Need next year, take the max talent for beyond.

There are always injuries to DB's as they have a tough job going thru blocks and tackling.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

We already knew Ward is a free agent, but i didn't realize Tartt's last season is 2020. So if Ward does leave - IMO its more than 50% - then why not a Safety. From this article, this guy would easily be top value.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Ford is like losing two players — an outside speed rusher (Ford) and a dominant interior player in Armstead, who is forced to move to a role in which he's far less effective. It wouldn't be a surprise at all to see the 49ers try to add another edge rusher this offseason even though they already have two great young players at the position in Ford and Bosa.

I agree that if an opportunity arises, do add another pass rusher....a speed type like Dee Ford. The odds are low we get a quality FA or top prospect, but that should be the first look anyway. If no opportunity, then don't force it.

I'd even be fine spending the 1st rounder if value is there?

There are just too many good passers AND receivers including TE's. This draft is going to add even more quality WR's beginning with Alabama. The best defense is pressure and can't assume everyone stay's healthy all season. As we've just seen in the second half of our season, Ford's absence made a big impact on our D.
Ford is under contract. We are good to go.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't know about Superbowl's of late, but in the old days it was defense gets you to the SB, and your QB wins it.

In this case, we shouldn't need JG to "win it" by throwing for huge stats, he just needs to take care of the ball.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I lean defensive player in round 1, but below is why i wouldn't be dissapointed with an offensive linemen:

You wouldn’t know it by looking at the sack or run numbers, but the 49ers offensive line has not played all that well this season. Missing stalwart LT Joe Staley for a significant chunk of the season contributed to the poor performance, but even when at full strength, none of the five players has looked all that dominant. Luckily, the 49ers have a wizard designing their offense, and Shanahan’s play designs have made his line’s job so much easier. The weak link is clearly RG Mike Person, who struggles to make blocks on the move. C Ben Garland has been solid after replacing the injured Weston Richburg, and he needed to be with how big a role the center plays in Shanahan’s scheme.

The bigger reason is better pass protection to lessen the odds of JG getting hurt. But a good young linemen will also help the run game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...iah-explains-why-justin-jefferson-good-49ers/

Unless a WR's value is clearly the best left on the board, rather we go defense in Round 1.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who we value in FA in terms of re-signing will determine, IMO, who we are drafting. If Ward and Armstead are re-signed, we are looking at WR, TE (think Gronk-Hernandez + run game), or OL. If we let Armstead and/or Ward walk, then we will certainly be drafting defense. I have to believe that at the end of the season, the plan was to re-sign Ward and Armstead and let Sanders walk. I can't imagine them letting Ward go without an heir apparent lined up and Armstead would be FAR more difficult to replace as a DE on base downs and DT on obvious passing downs. Blair and much of the depth that we are looking at re-signing should be exactly what our late round picks should be for. Blair, for example, had a great year but if DL is where we are LOADED, which gives whatever late round DL pick we choose time to come into their own.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping for our scouts, GM, and Head Coach to continue to put quality players on the field...hoping for Ward and AA to be re-signed along with Blair. I would love for us to move back to get more picks, maybe our 1st for a 2nd/3rd. Turn our second/third pick with interior OL and S, knowing that keeping Ward this year means we may need to find someone to fill Tartt's position beyond 2020 w Tartt's tag looking like 6.5 mil/yr. Drafting a S not only helps create depth in a position of worry. It also improves special teams and may be a place where the Niners can provide themselves the biggest drop-off in cost coupled with the drop-off in play.

This is a deep draft for WR, CB, QB, potentially TE and a shallow draft for impact OL and S. Utilizing our first couple picks on both positions of need coupled with limited available with talent allows our staff to find WR help in the later rounds if we feel that Taylor and/or Hurd may have trouble returning. I liked what I saw from Hurd this preseason prior to getting injured and that end around sweep they do with Samuels could be mimicked by Hurd since he was a RB at Tennessee. If there is a top flight pass catching TE that we could pair with Kittle in creating the Niner version of the Pats Gronk/Hernandez 2-TE set with mismatches all over the field in both the run game and the personnel required to stay with fast TEs in play action.

-- Trade back from 31, receive a 2nd, 3rd this year, 5th next year.

Rd 2
-- Plan A: Best player available if there is a runaway favorite, preferably TE
-- Plan B: Draft S

Rd 3
-- Plan A: Big OG
-- Plan B: Draft best available, preferably S/CB

Rd 5
-- Plan A: BPA, potentially a WR if Hurd and/or Taylor are recovering quickly enough, deep draft

Rd 6
-- BPA

Rd

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who we value in FA in terms of re-signing will determine, IMO, who we are drafting. If Ward and Armstead are re-signed, we are looking at WR, TE (think Gronk-Hernandez + run game), or OL. If we let Armstead and/or Ward walk, then we will certainly be drafting defense. I have to believe that at the end of the season, the plan was to re-sign Ward and Armstead and let Sanders walk. I can't imagine them letting Ward go without an heir apparent lined up and Armstead would be FAR more difficult to replace as a DE on base downs and DT on obvious passing downs. Blair and much of the depth that we are looking at re-signing should be exactly what our late round picks should be for. Blair, for example, had a great year but if DL is where we are LOADED, which gives whatever late round DL pick we choose time to come into their own.

They first have to extend Kittle or Buckner, as these are the BIG ticket items. Once this is done (hopefully one of them extends), they can move on to Armstead, Ward, and Sanders. But even after cutting Goodwin, McKinnon, etc., don't think they can fit Armstead anyway? No doubt Armstead is the hardest to replace of our FA's, but he'll simply command a LOT with another team.

I'm not even sure we can re-sign Ward? Lynch will almost have to go with Tavarious Moore plus a late draft pick. Sanders would be nice but again, likely a cap casualty. With Taylor and Hurd in the picture, we can't fit everyone under the cap.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am hoping for our scouts, GM, and Head Coach to continue to put quality players on the field...hoping for Ward and AA to be re-signed along with Blair. I would love for us to move back to get more picks, maybe our 1st for a 2nd/3rd. Turn our second/third pick with interior OL and S, knowing that keeping Ward this year means we may need to find someone to fill Tartt's position beyond 2020 w Tartt's tag looking like 6.5 mil/yr. Drafting a S not only helps create depth in a position of worry. It also improves special teams and may be a place where the Niners can provide themselves the biggest drop-off in cost coupled with the drop-off in play.

This is a deep draft for WR, CB, QB, potentially TE and a shallow draft for impact OL and S. Utilizing our first couple picks on both positions of need coupled with limited available with talent allows our staff to find WR help in the later rounds if we feel that Taylor and/or Hurd may have trouble returning. I liked what I saw from Hurd this preseason prior to getting injured and that end around sweep they do with Samuels could be mimicked by Hurd since he was a RB at Tennessee. If there is a top flight pass catching TE that we could pair with Kittle in creating the Niner version of the Pats Gronk/Hernandez 2-TE set with mismatches all over the field in both the run game and the personnel required to stay with fast TEs in play action.

-- Trade back from 31, receive a 2nd, 3rd this year, 5th next year.

Rd 2
-- Plan A: Best player available if there is a runaway favorite, preferably TE
-- Plan B: Draft S

Rd 3
-- Plan A: Big OG
-- Plan B: Draft best available, preferably S/CB

Rd 5
-- Plan A: BPA, potentially a WR if Hurd and/or Taylor are recovering quickly enough, deep draft

Rd 6
-- BPA

Rd

Yeah, in a trade down we're looking at a late 2nd plus late 3rd. To me, if there is a top prospect that falls to 31st, draft him. The odds are this guy will be a very good player, whereas a late 2nd and late 3rd are potential starters, but not top players.

For example, Ward is a late 1st but a top player (inury is for another discussion). I would say Ward played like a near Pro Bowler?

Who were our recent 2nd rounders? Deebo Samuel, Pettis, Tartt, and Hyde. Samuel was obviously a high 2nd, and the other three were "mid-2nds". Odds are we're not going to get another value like Samuel, late in the 2nd round. We might get value similar to Tartt and Hyde, if the position we want is deep enough?

Tavarious Moore is a 3rd rounder but he isn't a top player and likely will never be one? Other 3rd rounders include Hurd, Warner, Witherspoon, Redmond, Harold, Marcus Martin, and Borland. So yes you might find another Warner, but the odds say a late 3rd rounder won't even be a starter.

So if....IF a top prospect who fits our schemes, falls to 31st, we should draft him. Odds say he'll be a very good player year in and year out. We don't have to wait as long for development and HOPE he even becomes a starter?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Analyst: NFL draft stacked at 49ers’ areas of need

Wish i had read this earlier. :-)

Ok, IF CB is as deep as Jeremiah is saying, then it would make sense to trade down. IMO CB is a high need and position to target.

While i don't view WR as a big need team wide, the value might be too much to pass?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analyst: NFL draft stacked at 49ers’ areas of need

Wish i had read this earlier. :-)

Ok, IF CB is as deep as Jeremiah is saying, then it would make sense to trade down. IMO CB is a high need and position to target.

While i don't view WR as a big need team wide, the value might be too much to pass?

they could easily get a starter or major contributor at WR in the 3rd or 4th round. CB is also deep. If they can't resign Armstead which seems likely they have to tag him and trade him so they can get some draft capital for this years draft and he is the best potential trade chip they have.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
they could easily get a starter or major contributor at WR in the 3rd or 4th round. CB is also deep. If they can't resign Armstead which seems likely they have to tag him and trade him so they can get some draft capital for this years draft and he is the best potential trade chip they have.

Yes, so assuming Jeremiah's view is somewhat accurate on CB's, then it makes sense to trade down. Cause if this is true, the value for CB's should be good late 2nd round.

It might turn out the value at WR is even higher at that point, then draft the WR. Don't feel WR is a big need, but i've always been for maximum value more than Need. So if the value is clearly a WR, draft him.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Add some nitrous, new niners moss mats, and 6th Gear!! Here We Come!! Tee Higgins and CB/S! Sluice some Dirt!!:)