• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday draft notes: Tyler Ervin, defense and Karlos Dansby | Seahawks Draft Blog

Figure this was a interesting take . Here's the part regarding how/why the Seahawk might go defense.
Talking defense at #26
The Seahawks appear likely to draft an offensive lineman in round one for various reasons. They lost two key starters, have only really replaced one of them and they need greater depth, talent and competition up front.

When Pete Carroll has identified a need in the past it’s often been aggressively rectified — sometimes in the draft.

But you’ve heard all this before.

So let’s at least consider some of the things that might make it possible for the Seahawks to go with a defensive player at #26.

1. They’d have to be absolutely convinced that Garry Gilliam and J’Marcus Webb are the unchallenged starters at tackle. It’s almost impossible to believe they’d think that way — but with so few tackles likely to be available after round one, it’s likely what they’d need to believe.

2. Carolina recently started Michael Oher and Mike Remmers and made it to a Super Bowl. The Panthers’ strong interior line was a major strength during their run. It’s certainly possible for Seattle to build up the interior line in rounds 2-4. Of course, it’d be even easier to draft Germain Ifedi, Shon Coleman, Jason Spriggs or Taylor Decker at #26 and plug them inside — while allowing them to at least provide extra depth and competition at tackle. But there are good options after the first round at center and guard.

3. The Seahawks didn’t fight the strength of the draft in 2014 and took a receiver with their first pick. The depth at wide out would’ve enabled them to wait until round two, three or four and get an impact player. The depth at offensive tackle was much weaker. Yet they stayed true to their board and took Paul Richardson. This led to them somewhat desperately reaching for Justin Britt in round two — but they were willing to take that risk. We’ll see if they do something similar this year.

4. It’s not a great draft for pass rushers. It is a good draft for space eaters and run stuffers. If they feel like they absolutely need to add a potent pass rusher — they might have to do it early. Whether that’s an Emmanuel Ogbah outside or a Jonathan Bullard at defensive tackle. That said — Carroll has noted that the O-line is the priority and they do already have Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Frank Clark on defense. The existing talent on the O-line is much weaker — but they trust and depend on Tom Cable to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

5. They’d need to believe an impact player on defense would be the difference between contending again and just falling short. Certainly it’d be a big benefit to add another disruptor. Whether the Seahawks can convince themselves that’s more important than rebuilding the O-line having lost two experienced starters is the big question.

Admittedly it’s not an altogether convincing case. For every point there’s a counter, highlighting how much it makes sense to draft for the O-line at #26 and then go from there.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Rotoworld Josh Norris mock draft for the Seahawks in 2015. I was impressed.

Screenshot%20-%203_29_2016%20%202_33_18%20AM.png

For this year he has :

26. Seattle Seahawks - Florida EDGE/DL Jonathan Bullard - Bullard, who wants to play defensive tackle, can be utilized in a similar way to Malik Jackson. The Florida defensive lineman surprised me with his athleticism (he’s a great athlete) and can help the Seahawks generate interior disruption.

Course this isn't his final mock for the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Rotoworld Josh Norris mock draft for the Seahawks in 2015. I was impressed.

Screenshot%20-%203_29_2016%20%202_33_18%20AM.png

For this year he has :

26. Seattle Seahawks - Florida EDGE/DL Jonathan Bullard - Bullard, who wants to play defensive tackle, can be utilized in a similar way to Malik Jackson. The Florida defensive lineman surprised me with his athleticism (he’s a great athlete) and can help the Seahawks generate interior disruption.

Course this isn't his final mock for the season.

Bullard is one of my favorite players in this draft. He is all over the field. Has great athleticism and his motor only knows how to be in high gear at all times. A try hard guy that has talent to boot. Not much better you can ask for late in the 1st round.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullard is one of my favorite players in this draft. He is all over the field. Has great athleticism and his motor only knows how to be in high gear at all times. A try hard guy that has talent to boot. Not much better you can ask for late in the 1st round.

My feeling he'd be great for the second round pick, not so much for the first. He's not a "get to the QB " type, more of run stopper, with some push. Like a Mebane type in his better years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Red Bryant would be a better comparison, since Bullard is projected to be able to play end or tackle.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling he'd be great for the second round pick, not so much for the first. He's not a "get to the QB " type, more of run stopper, with some push. Like a Mebane type in his better years.

Chris Jones is probably my favorite guy at the end of round 1 defensive line wise but Bullard would be a nice consolation prize. To me he still has a ton of room to grow. The athleticism is there and I think he has some room to add some bulk while also adding some technique to improve pass rush wise. I wouldn't consider it a home run at the end of round 1 but I do think he will develop into a very solid starter in the league.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Jones is probably my favorite guy at the end of round 1 defensive line wise but Bullard would be a nice consolation prize. To me he still has a ton of room to grow. The athleticism is there and I think he has some room to add some bulk while also adding some technique to improve pass rush wise. I wouldn't consider it a home run at the end of round 1 but I do think he will develop into a very solid starter in the league.
Chris Jones does look promising as a DT who can apply pressure on the QB.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams send - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd (2016), 1st & 3rd (2017) to Titans for 1st overall, 4th and 6th round picks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ICYMI
John Schneider was on KJR for a fairly lengthy interview that covered a lot of ground on their draft philosophy. It's really a must listen to pod cast if you are a Seahawks draft junkie.

Listen to the Mitch in the Morning OnDemand Episode - 4-13 John Schneider on iHeartRadio

The highlights:
He believes this is the best draft board they have had since coming here. He said they typically have 120-140 guys on their board and this year they will have something closer to 200. Not only did he say they often like to trade back, but really hinted this is the kind of class where they really want to do so. If they find a willing partner and a deal they like it's highly likely they aren't going to take their first rounder.

He used Carpenter as an example of how they do move guys up their board based on need. They do NOT simply take the highest ranked athlete available. He made that quite clear.

They also went over some of the off season free agent stuff with questions about some of the guys that left and where they are overall.

Given how depleted they are in their line and how deep their board is I'd say it's very unlikely they don't trade down and go for bulk. While that was an easy statement to make without this interview, it's nearly a slam dunk now after it. Of course they could give misinformation to throw other teams off, but I really don't think that happened here.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how depleted they are in their line and how deep their board is I'd say it's very unlikely they don't trade down and go for bulk. While that was an easy statement to make without this interview, it's nearly a slam dunk now after it. Of course they could give misinformation to throw other teams off, but I really don't think that happened here.

Sounded like they would like to trade down at some point in the draft, but he also mentioned that finding a trading partner could be hard, so we'll see. I don't see them trading out of the first round, but what do I know. I've been wrong so many times.:rolleyes2:

I actually started a thread on this interview, but it was a pod cast and don't think many listened to it.

Must listen to podcast.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams send - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd (2016), 1st & 3rd (2017) to Titans for 1st overall, 4th and 6th round picks.

Risky is all I can say. Strange year to trade for the # 1 pick, in a draft class where no QB stands out. However if they do find a franchise QB might be worth it, but if they find a bum at QB, they are going to be hurting for certain without all those draft choices.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I wish we could have traded with the Rams, but now they have used up their picks for this year and next.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So its got to be 100% that they are going QB right? Otherwise I just can't see why they'd do it but than again from what Ive read/heard these QB are not the luck, RG3, Carr or even Bridgwater type that were praised to high heaven. Which leaves me going :scratch:

:clap:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll see in a couple of years if the Rams trade was boom or bust. FO has serious pressure on them to hit every draft pick.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cbssports.com decided to do a mock for the entire draft and had the Hawks taking an offensive tackle with their first pick, followed by a defensive lineman with their second pick and a center with their 3rd rounder. After that, it was a mix of needs and depth picks. Of course, mocks like this never account for trades, so you never know what's going to happen, but it's interesting that they would make picks for every team's entire draft.

2016 NFL Mock Draft: All seven rounds, including team-by-team picks

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full article in the link

Unheralded NFL draft prospects part I: Seahawky defensive linemen

Defensive tackles
Michael Pierce, Samford
The Seahawks covet athletic freaks, and Pierce, as much as any defensive lineman entering the draft, fits that bill. After reading about his pro day I had to watch some film, and was impressed how he moves for his size. He’s 6003 and 329 pounds, and his fastest 40 time was 4.98 seconds (with a 5.01 average), speedier than Sheldon Rankins, who weighs 30 pounds less. Even more astonishing—and more significant for the position—than Pierce’s 40 time was his 10-yard split, which was clocked at 1.67 seconds, quicker than all but one offensive lineman entering the draft, and better than many of the tight ends.

DeMarcus Hodge, Arkansas
Similar to Michael Pierce, Hodge is a short, squat, massive, athletic interior defensive lineman with a low center of gravity and great strength. Unlike Pierce, Hodge faced off against superior competition, and looks like a less-raw prospect.

Destiny Vaeao, Washington State
Vaeao is one of several Wazzu draft prospects I’ve looked into, and like Joe Dahl on the other side of the ball, appears to tick all the Seahawky boxes. In addition to explosive test numbers (including a ridiculous 35.5" vertical leap for a 295-pound guy), Vaeao has some interior pass-rushing ability and very good production that improved each year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cbssports.com decided to do a mock for the entire draft and had the Hawks taking an offensive tackle with their first pick, followed by a defensive lineman with their second pick and a center with their 3rd rounder. After that, it was a mix of needs and depth picks. Of course, mocks like this never account for trades, so you never know what's going to happen, but it's interesting that they would make picks for every team's entire draft.

2016 NFL Mock Draft: All seven rounds, including team-by-team picks
I see many us read this site. I'd be happy with Spriggs and Chris Jones, be happier with Ifedi and Chris Jones though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full article in the link

Defensive tackles
Michael Pierce, Samford
The Seahawks covet athletic freaks, and Pierce, as much as any defensive lineman entering the draft, fits that bill. After reading about his pro day I had to watch some film, and was impressed how he moves for his size. He’s 6003 and 329 pounds, and his fastest 40 time was 4.98 seconds (with a 5.01 average), speedier than Sheldon Rankins, who weighs 30 pounds less. Even more astonishing—and more significant for the position—than Pierce’s 40 time was his 10-yard split, which was clocked at 1.67 seconds, quicker than all but one offensive lineman entering the draft, and better than many of the tight ends.

DeMarcus Hodge, Arkansas
Similar to Michael Pierce, Hodge is a short, squat, massive, athletic interior defensive lineman with a low center of gravity and great strength. Unlike Pierce, Hodge faced off against superior competition, and looks like a less-raw prospect.

Destiny Vaeao, Washington State
Vaeao is one of several Wazzu draft prospects I’ve looked into, and like Joe Dahl on the other side of the ball, appears to tick all the Seahawky boxes. In addition to explosive test numbers (including a ridiculous 35.5" vertical leap for a 295-pound guy), Vaeao has some interior pass-rushing ability and very good production that improved each year.

Anybody have any insight to these guys? I know nothing about them, but I know we have some Cougars fans here that could give some info on Vaeao.