• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What do you guys think of Whitney Mercilus?

One stat that seems to translate well into the pro's is sack numbers, and he had 16 of 'em this year. One of which I remember was a play where he absolutely embarrassed Ohio St. OLT Mike Adams.

However, when I saw him play I didn't see a guy who screamed 3-4 OLB. The way he moved made me wonder if he could make the conversion. What do you think?

To expand a little... I didn't know about this:
whitneymercilushand.jpg

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the Texans taking Hill at 26 would be like payback for us taking Aldon at 7 when they wanted him at 11.

Rueben Randle - WR - Player

The Houston Chronicle expects the Texans to use their No. 26 pick on a wide receiver.
That is, "unless they need an outside linebacker to replace Mario Williams." LSU's Rueben Randle lobbied for the pick at the Combine. "It would be great to play with a receiver like Andre Johnson," Randle said. Along with Randle, Rutgers' Mohamed Sanu, Baylor's Kendall Wright and Georgia Tech's Stephen Hill could all be possibilites for the Texans at No. 26.
Related: Texans
Source: Houston Chronicle
Feb 28 - 11:33 AM

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll be there in the 3rd, but he may. There aren't a lot of player in this draft I like very much, or even a little, but Randle is one.

It would be great if Randle fell to the Niners in the 2nd round. Poe or Perry in the 1st round and Randle in the 2nd would be a dream come true.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans need another WR opposite of Johnson. If they get one, that offense will really take off especially with a very good offensive line, a great running game, and a good QB.
They will be favored to win the AFC South and making a run to the Super Bowl.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys thinks Houston would consider adding a TE?

I know Daniels is there but there are (currently projected) upgrades in TE available. That could be another weapon for them although I agree a #2 WR s/b top need.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So after the combine here's my list of what I'd like to see the Niners do at 30 in order:

1) Still Konz. Draft him and cut Goodwin.
2) Glenn.
3) Trade back for Ta'amu, Osemele, Allen, Fleener, Thompson (if he's a 3-4 guy), Worthy (dito), Curry, Hosley, Zeitler, etc.
4a) Trade up for Poe
4b) Maaaaaaaybe Hill if they want to swing for the fences.
6) Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe draft Janoris Jenkins if he's there @ 30. Huge riske.
7) Trade up for Floyd. Again - huge risk.
8) Sign Wallace and forget the 30th pick (and probably the 3rd rounder).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after the combine here's my list of what I'd like to see the Niners do at 30 in order:

2) Glenn.
3) Trade back for Ta'amu, Osemele, Allen, Fleener, Thompson (if he's a 3-4 guy), Worthy (dito), Curry, Hosley, Zeitler, etc.
4a) Trade up for Poe
6) Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe draft Janoris Jenkins if he's there @ 30. Huge riske.

Your hatred for Goodwin is remarkable. What if we aren't able to keep Snyder? Do you still think we should just cut him?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Your hatred for Goodwin is remarkable. What if we aren't able to keep Snyder? Do you still think we should just cut him?

Why wouldn't they be able to keep Snyder? He's under contract isn't he?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) Glenn.
4a) Trade up for Poe

take #8 and get rid of it!

7 isn't a huge risk, floyd turned things around this year and came into the season in great shape. although he's just so physically dominating it's hard to get a read on him. i'm not sure if he's a #1 in the nfl

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm starting to really warm up to the idea of drafting Josh Chapman. If he's there in the 3rd I'd love to have him.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still interested in David Molk. I know he lead O-linemen in bench press with 41 reps at the combine, but that was the only stat i was able to find for him. He also won the award for best Center in college. Check out this video of him bench pressing (he's at the tail end of it in case you want to skip the others).

NFL Videos: Molk leads O-lineman in bench press

imac, i know you're a big Michigan fan. What are your thoughts on him? He seems to be flying under the radar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Tannehill - QB - Player

John Keim of the Washington Examiner and Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan in D.C. both believe Texas A&M Ryan Tannehill will be a strong consideration at No. 6 overall if the Redskins don't trade out.
Keim even heard from one NFL source that a team might leapfrog the Skins to draft Tannehill at No. 5. Tannehill is clearly the No. 3 quarterback in the draft, and QB-needy teams could get trigger happy after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III go 1-2. Tannehill's skill set is considered an ideal fit for the Washington's offense because he is athletic and throws accurately on the run.
Related: Redskins
Source: John Keim on Twitter
Mar 1 - 12:36 PM

I guess the smaller dough for rookies is playing a role here otherwise I could not imagine taking that big of a risk on this kid under the old CBA.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a team trading into the top 5 for tannehill would be funny

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog

Combine studs headed to new positions?
March, 1, 2012
By Steve Muench

One of the most fascinating aspects of the NFL combine is watching players go through drills that test their ability to do things they were not asked to do in college and and are designed to expose athletic limitations. These drills help teams determine where a player without a natural position might fit best at the next level.

The most obvious example is college defensive ends moving to outside linebacker, such as Pittsburgh Steelers 2007 second-round pick Lamarr Woodley. However, defensive ends aren't the only prospects who change positions and/or play in different schemes. (Non-seniors noted with an asterisk).

Here are five 2012 prospects whose recent combine workouts might have affected their NFL futures and the teams that could be interested.

Melvin Ingram's combine workout was strong, though he could end up changing positions.

South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram (Scouts Inc. grade: 95)
The sixth overall prospect on our board, Ingram had more to prove in Indianapolis than most top-tier prospects, thanks in large part to lack of a perfect NFL fit. At 6-foot-1, Ingram is two inches shorter than the average end prospect at the last four combines, and his shorter arms (31.4) raise concerns about his ability to line up as defensive end in a four-man front at the next level.

The question then became whether he could play outside linebacker in a base three-man front. Ingram did all he could -- both at the combine and the Senior Bowl in late January -- to show 3-4 teams he's worth a first-round pick. While he's not an elite athlete Ingram showed above-average balance and burst during coverage drills, especially for a 264-pound prospect. The Miami Dolphins (No. 8 overall) and Arizona Cardinals (No. 13) need linebacker help and could be possible landing spots early on.

Memphis DT Dontari Poe* (93)
It's understandable that much has been made of the 6-3, 346-pound Poe running a 4.98-second 40-yard dash and bench-pressing 225 pounds 44 times. Those are remarkable numbers, but his 10-yard split (1.63) in the 40 and the foot speed he showed during bag work are even more impressive. Poe is now drawing favorable comparisons to Baltimore's Haloti Ngata and New England's Vince Wilfork in terms of size and agility.

He should have plenty of suitors given that Poe is big enough to anchor the middle of a three-man front, and athletic enough to line up at defensive tackle in a four man front. However, he is a raw prospect and might be a better fit for a one-gap scheme that simply asks him to explode upfield, rather than a two-gap scheme that requires him to stay low and control blockers with his hands. The Kansas City Chiefs (No. 11) need help at nose tackle, and Poe is such a unique talent the Chiefs could reach for him even if he isn't an ideal fit at this point. The Philadelphia Eagles (No. 15) are another team that needs defensive line help.

Syracuse DE/OLB Chandler Jones* (89)
Coverage drills at the combine exposed some tightness in his hips, and Jones (6-5, 266) didn't show great body control throughout the workout. He's capable of dropping into coverage on occasion and could still line up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but he looks like a much better fit at defensive end. The good news is he had a strong workout for an end prospect.

Jones laid down a quick 10-yard split (1.63) and showed good bend during drills, and there's also a lot to like about his arm length (35.4 inches) and upper-body strength. His 22 reps on the bench press are slightly below the four-year average for ends, but given his arm length it's a noteworthy number. Jones is on the fringe of the first round, where the New England Patriots (Nos. 27 and 31) could be looking for help along the line. The Jacksonville Jaguars are another possible fit early in the second round.

Montana DC/DS Trumaine Johnson (85)
The 6-2, 204-pound Johnson posted a disappointing 4.61 in the 40 and had problems staying low in his backpedal. He's still fluid enough to play corner for teams that value size on the perimeter (like the Seattle Seahawks or Baltimore Ravens), but he might be a better fit at safety where his range, ball skills and arm length (33.2) could help him become a playmaker.

With the 2012 safety class looking weak overall, teams that need help there should take a longer look at bigger corners like Johnson. In addition, it's a weak safety class so teams that need help there should take a long look at bigger corners like Johnson. The Pittsburgh Steelers are another team that plays bigger corners (Ike Taylor is almost exactly the same size as Johnson) and it should address a need at corner. The Steelers could also stand to infuse some youth at safety, so drafting Johnson late in the second makes sense.

California LB Mychal Kendricks (79)
Kendricks has experience lining up both inside and outside in California's 3-4 scheme, but he doesn't have the bulk (5-11, 239 pounds) most 3-4 teams look for on the outside. However, he is a good fit inside and has the ability to push for immediate playing time there. Kendricks also moves well enough in space to play weakside linebacker in a 4-3 scheme.

His 40 time (4.47), vertical jump (39.5) and broad jump (10-foot-7) were better than any other linebacker in Indianapolis, and he showed off his athleticism and smooth footwork in drills, making him a possible option for the San Diego Chargers in the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.