• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a wacky dream that the draft took place two days ago. I ran into Harbaugh at the bank and he knew nothing about the draft. I told him we drafted Weeden in the 2nd round and we both mentioned that meant Alex was gone. I then congratulated him on being the guy to throw passes to Moss in a workout the next day. He was excited and said it was going to be fun.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
that's one of the wackiest dreams to come about in sometime!

lol... Brandon Weeden..Alex Smith is still younger and he's been playing in the pro's for 6 seasons now!!!

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the more I think about it if the Niners are too stupid to go after Peyton I think they need to keep an eye on Dontari Poe in the draft. I think years from now people are going to be extremely jealous of the teams who drafted Luck, Matt kalil, David Decastro and Dontari Poe. There are some good players in this draft, but these are the guys who are going to give opposing teams fits...

The 2nd around pick could move the Niners up to around 18-17 or so. Maybe 16 if the Jets really want to trade down and the Niners throw in maybe a 5th rounder. If the Chiefs, Cards & Cowboys pass on Poe (stupidly), the Niners should trade up and get him IMO.

He may go earlier than 16. He had a tremendous combine. I won't be surprised if he goes top ten.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I had a wacky dream that the draft took place two days ago. I ran into Harbaugh at the bank and he knew nothing about the draft. I told him we drafted Weeden in the 2nd round and we both mentioned that meant Alex was gone. I then congratulated him on being the guy to throw passes to Moss in a workout the next day. He was excited and said it was going to be fun.

lol this is a true fan.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He may go earlier than 16. He had a tremendous combine. I won't be surprised if he goes top ten.

True. He actually should be the 4th guy off the board IMO. He's raw, but he has obscene, Casey Hampton type potential (if not more). That's why if he's around in the teens I would want the Niners to move up and get him.

The Niners can find prospects in the later rounds whon will probably be very close to their first round counterparts at other positions IMO. They're not going to find another Poe or Kalil IMO.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason Cole:

Rams hoping market for QB Tannehill heats up. They'd be willing to trade down again from 6.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ rams

i really dont see the 3rd qb coming off the board until the 20s. someone might wanna jump in front of cleveland, but i just dont see the desperate moves like last year. the draft seems a lot stronger in the 1st this year, think the weak 1st round had something to do with all the reaching at qb.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Cole:

Rams hoping market for QB Tannehill heats up. They'd be willing to trade down again from 6.

I've thought about that scenario and i hope nobody is stupid enough to jump to 6 and get Tannehill. That could possibly be the biggest reach of all time. Maybe someone jumps up for Poe or Floyd like they did last year with Julio on the 6th over all pick.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arizona needs more than a big-name QB
March, 12, 2012
By Kevin Weidl

The Arizona Cardinals are in hot pursuit of former Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning, but even the acquisition of a player like Manning won't cure all that ails the Cardinals.

They will have plenty of work to do on draft day, and while the loss of their second-round pick due to the Kevin Kolb signing will hurt, the Cardinals should still be able to fill some needs.

Offensive line woes

Arizona needs help along the offensive front no matter who is playing quarterback, and there is a hole at left tackle in particular.

David DeCastro could help shore up Arizona's offensive line for a long time to come.

The Minnesota Vikings are all but certain to scoop up USC OT Matt Kalil (6-foot-6⅝, 306 pounds) with the third overall pick, and Iowa's Riley Reiff (6-5¾, 313) is likely to be off the board before the Cardinals make the 13th pick, but Stanford's Jonathan Martin (6-5⅜, 312) could be an option at that point.

Martin needs some added strength and polish, but he has left-tackle feet and the mentality for the position. He's fallen down our board a bit in recent weeks after a somewhat underwhelming film study, but positional value always pushes tackle prospects up the board and Martin would fill a need at one of the most important positions on the field.

Should Arizona look to the interior of the offensive line, Martin's college teammate David DeCastro (6-4⅞, 316) would also be a solid addition. DeCastro was the most dominant interior lineman in the nation in 2011, showing outstanding technique and leverage, and playing with a nasty demeanor. He can move defenders off the ball, and is the kind of plug-and-play prospect who could be a Cardinals mainstay for the next decade.

Pass-rush options

Arizona could also use some pass-rush help with players like Joey Porter and Clark Haggans getting older. South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram (6-1½, 264) would be an ideal fit with his explosive burst and natural power/leverage, but he's likely to be a top-10 pick. Alabama's Courtney Upshaw (6-1⅝, 274) would be a nice consolation prize, though.

Upshaw has yet to take part in a pro day workout, but his film shows impressive strength and power when setting the edge against the run, and he knows how to play with leverage and use his outstanding finishing power to get to the quarterback. Upshaw can also spot-drop in coverage on occasion, and he would be a nice fit in the Cardinals' 3-4 scheme.

There are also plenty of pass-rushers to be had in the third and fourth rounds. Troy's Jonathan Massaquoi (6-2⅛, 264) is raw but has plenty of upside, while Boise State's Shea McClellin (6-3⅜, 260) lacks ideal athleticism but is instinctive and plays with a great motor. And don't sleep on Miami's Olivier Vernon (6-2⅛, 261), who missed time due to suspension in 2011 but has an explosive first step, some good power moves and plenty of natural talent. Vernon would offer good value in the third/fourth-round area.

Needs on the perimeter

Arizona could also stand to add some depth at wide receiver in the middle rounds, and should jump on Arkansas' Joe Adams (5-10½, 174) if he somehow falls out of the second round. Adams needs some polish but he has great speed and the ability to go the distance from any spot on the field. Appalachian State's Brian Quick (6-3½, 222) is another possibility with his size, quick feet, agility and ability to make acrobatic catches downfield. Quick's hands are inconsistent, but he is loaded with athletic ability.

Elsewhere, Iowa's Marvin McNutt (6-2½, 216) is growing on me after additional film study. McNutt isn't the most explosive receiver on the board, but he is quick enough for his size, catches the ball well and shows good savvy to set up defenders and gain initial leverage. He could be a steal in the fourth round. And don't rule out Virginia Tech's Danny Coale (6-0⅛, 198), a versatile and reliable prospect who could become a solid No. 3 receiver, and explosive FIU wideout T.Y. Hilton (5-9½, 178), a slot receiver who also contributes in the return game.

Finally, the Cardinals could also add some cornerback help later in the draft. Players like Virginia Tech's Jayron Hosley (5-10, 178), LSU's Ron Brooks (5-10, 190), Louisiana-Lafayette's Dwight Bentley (5-10, 182), Cal-Poly's Asa Jackson (5-10, 191) and Oklahoma's Jamell Fleming (5-10⅝, 206) could all be considerations.

Hosley is making some noise lately after fully recovering from a nagging hamstring injury, showing well in the Sugar Bowl against Michigan and flashing better instincts than the others, while Fleming needs work on his technique but is the biggest of the group and shows good balance.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Ball security affects five teams, backs
March, 14, 2012 12:54 PM ET
By Todd McShay

It has taken several years of evaluating running backs and talking to teams about their varying offensive schemes to narrow down a universal list of critical factors when evaluating backs. Here are the five position-specific traits I assess when breaking down running back prospects:

• Competitiveness (ball security is a key component here)
• Vision/patience
• Agility/acceleration
• Power/balance
• Passing game

Teams value certain skills differently when evaluating running backs. For instance, one team that employs a zone-blocking rushing attack views these as the five critical factors:

• Ability to make one cut and accelerate through a crease
• Willingness/toughness in pass protection
• Run with a naturally wide base
• Run behind pads, drive through contact
• Durability and ball security

However, ball security is key regardless of scheme, and the New England Patriots' running back situation is a perfect example.

Top back BenJarvus Green-Ellis had nearly twice as many carries as the teams' No. 2 back in 2011, despite lacking the versatility and athleticism of backups Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen, and the fresh young legs of Stevan Ridley, and that can be tied directly to ball security.

Green-Ellis, a former undrafted free agent, has never put the ball on the ground in five seasons and 536 offensive touches, and never is a word head coach Bill Belichick can trust.

So with that in mind, this week's Nickel Package focuses on the top five backs on the 2012 draft board and how they fare in terms of ball security, and five teams likely to spend early-round picks on running backs. Also included are 2011 and career fumble-percentage charts for a dozen of the top running back prospects for 2012, courtesy of Allison Loucks of ESPN Stats and Information.

Top five running back prospects in 2012 class

Trent Richardson has elite skills, and he also knows how to secure the football.

1. Trent Richardson, Alabama
(5-foot-9¼, 228 pounds; Grade: 96)

Richardson is the most complete running back prospect since Adrian Peterson in 2007, and he's ready to step in and be a No. 1 back. Richardson fumbled only once in 312 touches in 2011, which is impressive given it was his first season as the full-time starter and fumbles tend to happen late in games when a back is tired.

2. Lamar Miller, Miami (5-10¾, 212; 89)
Miller suffered a shoulder injury in September but played through it the rest of the season, and he had surgery in mid-December. However, he looked great at the combine, running the top 40-yard dash (4.40 seconds) among running backs, and he enters the league with just 335 college carries. Miller's game is all about speed, but despite not being a power back, he fumbled just three times (two lost) in 381 career touches. That's 0.79 percent, the second best among the 12 backs we charted.

3. David Wilson, Virginia Tech (5-9⅝, 206; 88)
Wilson isn't the biggest back, but he runs like a 225-pounder and hates to go down, and that's where things get interesting. He lost four of seven fumbles (six as a runner, one on kick return) in 2011, and has the worst career fumble percentage (1.6) of the top 12 prospects.

4. Doug Martin, Boise State (5-9¼, 223; 85)
When I finished watching tape on Martin, he had an edge on Wilson and Miller in terms of being a complete back, but they rank higher because of their superior speed and ability to break big runs. Martin is great in the passing game, though, and consistently solid in every other aspect. As for ball security, his career fumble percentage (1.13) is middle-of-the-road compared to the other backs with draftable grades.

5. Lamichael James, Oregon (5-8, 194; 80)
James' lack of size means he'll struggle in pass protection and will never be an every-down back, but he'll generate interest starting in the late second round thanks to his versatility. It also helps that he crushed the combine with a 4.45 in the 40 (speed), 35-inch vertical jump (explosiveness) and 6.88-second three-cone drill (change-of-direction skills). His career fumble percentage (1.43) is poor, but he made strides as a senior with only three fumbles (two lost) on 278 touches (1.08 percent).

Five teams with early-round RB need

Cincinnati Bengals: Cedric Benson carried the ball 273 times during the Bengals' run to the 2011 playoffs, but he fumbled five times last season (two lost) and is expected to depart in free agency. Backup Bernard Scott has some talent, but with two first-round picks, the Bengals are in a good position to find a running back.

Richardson will be gone by the time Cincinnati comes on the clock at Nos. 17 and 21, and the Bengals won't do themselves any favors by reaching for the likes of Wilson and Miller at that point. However, they could use one of those picks to trade back and get Wilson or Miller at a more comfortable spot. Alternately, they could spend those two first-rounders on other needs and attack running back in the second round, with the thought that one of the top five backs will be available in the middle of the round.

Cleveland Browns: The Browns are in a similar situation to the Bengals with two first-rounders (Nos. 4 and 22), but they could have a tough decision to make with the fourth overall pick. Assuming Cleveland doesn't opt for Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, its other top needs are running back and quarterback, and both Richardson and Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon are almost guaranteed to be available.

Those are among two of the least-valued positions in terms of early-round picks, but Richardson is the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson and no one in Minnesota is complaining that the Vikings took Peterson seventh overall in 2007. With Peyton Hillis likely to sign elsewhere in free agency and backups Montario Hardesty and Chris Ogbonnaya not putting up big numbers (and fumbling three times), the Browns should have no problem opting for Richardson over Blackmon.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs have LeGarrette Blount coming back, and plenty of teams would like to have Blount as their starter. However, his production dropped from 201 carries and a 5.0-yard average as a rookie in 2010 to 181 carries and a 4.2 average last season. Blount has also missed five games in those two seasons and lost six of nine fumbles in that time. Throw in the fact that Tampa's second-leading rusher last season was QB Josh Freeman, and Richardson has to become an option if he's available at No. 5 overall.

Still, if I were making the pick, it would be LSU CB Morris Claiborne, who fills a primary need and is also an elite prospect. The Bucs could then pull the trigger on Wilson or Miller early in the second round, and Miller's speed and explosiveness would be a nice complement to Blount's size and power.

St. Louis Rams: Running back doesn't look like a huge need for the Rams at first glance, but with Steven Jackson turning 29 before the season and a lot of uncertainty behind him, it's my understanding that the new regime in St. Louis is actively looking to address the future of the position.

The Rams have a young quarterback in Sam Bradford and will see a huge influx of young talent in the next three drafts (three picks in the top 39 this year, two first-rounders in the next two years), and running back could be part of that youth movement. It's unlikely Richardson would fall to No. 6 overall, but if he does, there will at least be a discussion in the St. Louis draft room because he would clearly be the best player on the board at that point.

A more realistic scenario is waiting until the second round, where the Rams have the 33rd and 39th overall picks. At that point, they could have their choice of the second-tier backs behind Richardson.

Denver Broncos: There are clearly other needs -- cornerback, defensive tackle, tight end, perhaps quarterback -- the Broncos need to address, but with Willis McGahee set to turn 31 during the season and Knowshon Moreno unable to stay healthy, they will likely consider a back on Day 2 of the draft.

Wilson will likely be gone when Denver picks at No. 25 overall and it doesn't make sense to reach for Miller at that point, but Martin could make sense if he's available to the Broncos at No. 57. He's a tough, consistent, north-south runner who would fit with the Broncos, and if he's not around then, Denver is better off waiting until early on Day 4 rather than taking a chance on the oft-injured James.

It's also worth noting that the Washington Redskins have a pressing need at running back, but they don't make this list because they are likely to pick Baylor QB Robert Griffin III at No. 2 overall and don't pick again until the third round, when the top five backs are likely to be gone.

Ball security breakdowns

Here's how the top 12 backs on the board stack up in terms of fumble percentage in 2011 and over their entire college careers.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ rams

i really dont see the 3rd qb coming off the board until the 20s. someone might wanna jump in front of cleveland, but i just dont see the desperate moves like last year. the draft seems a lot stronger in the 1st this year, think the weak 1st round had something to do with all the reaching at qb.

There's absolutely no way Tannehill is making it out of the top 15. Even Christian Ponder was drafted 12th overall.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to like the idea of Peter Konz more and more. I would take Glenn over him if he somehow fell that far, but Konz allows us to fill him in at ORG (temporarily) if Kilgore doesn't pan out. Otherwise, he becomes our immediate Center.

With the recent signings of Cox and Rogers i feel very comfortable with our CB's. Hopefully we can re-sign Reggie Smith soon to give us some depth at Safety. Other that i think we can pretty much stick to BPA with our first couple of picks. I would love to get a 2013 1st if we could somehow manage that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like Konz over Glenn at either C or RG. Glenn has the obscene potential to become a dominant guard, but Konz is just so sound that I think his floor is a lot higher than Glenn's.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Konz over Glenn at either C or RG. Glenn has the obscene potential to become a dominant guard, but Konz is just so sound that I think his floor is a lot higher than Glenn's.

It's a tough call. Konz allows us to be more versatile with what we do at C and ORG this year. Here's to hoping that Kilgore is ready to start. I would love to get DeCastro, but I'm assuming that's not going to be a possibility.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd take Decastro over anyone in the draft except Luck, Kalil, Poe and maybe RGIII. Dude'e everything you would want in an NFL player. And with the new rookie scale it's more reasonable to take lesser positions high because they don't have the obscene salaries.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Decastro over anyone in the draft except Luck, Kalil, Poe and maybe RGIII. Dude'e everything you would want in an NFL player. And with the new rookie scale it's more reasonable to take lesser positions high because they don't have the obscene salaries.

That's really helped change my position on drafting another Offensive linemen in the first.

I feel the same about DeCastro. I would add Blackmon, Claiborne, and Still to that list, but he is still the best Guard I've seen come out of college in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.