• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Cutdown day!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh is heaven for OLBers if he can stick

Smart decision by him. They aren’t deep there. I’m not real high on Tuzska. Think he is more of an effort guy then talent which is great with the effort but may not have the overall talent to play long in the NFL but those are good players to work with and kudos to him for evaluating all options and what was best for him.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathon Harris cut. Mac McClain added to PS.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS Tracker

1. Brett Rypien, QB
2. Austin Schlottman, OL
3. Curtis Robinson, LB
4. Seth Williams, WR
5. Kendall Hinton, WR
6. Drew Himmelman, OL
7. Shaun Beyer, TE
8. Tyrie Cleveland, WR
9. Barrington Wade, LB
10. Nate Hairston, CB
11. Marquiss Spencer, DE
12. Damarea Crockett, RB
13. Mac McCain, CB

S Trey Marshall- Claimed by Chargers
FB Adam Prentice- Claimed by Saints
OLB- Derrek Tuzska- Signed to Steelers PS

Broncos claimed RB Nate McCrary (Ravens) CB Mike Ford (Lions)

Broncos release RB Royce Freeman, DT Jonathan Harris

Last edited:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really noticed Ford excelling on special teams but I will take Paton's word for it. I do like how physical he was at CB when watching him. He isn't great in coverage but he is good enough. He tackles well. He probably is a good special teams player but what I am getting at is agreeing with SpringStein here. Jonas Griffith and Mike Ford were added solely because of special teams play. We seem to be doing that every year but it hasn't worked. Devontae Harris maybe to an extent. But when your top special teams guy is Joe Jones for 3 years you feel good that the guy we have making the decisions now isn't content and understands we have to get better in that area.

BTW, the Buccaneers released Joe Jones.

Mike Boone will surely help with special teams when he is healthy...

With the extended PS spots and the PS rules I feel like you will see more guys like Jonas Griffith on an active roster and more guys like Royce Freeman, Seth Williams, etc on a practice squad... The guys who can play special teams can help you on gameday every week the guys on the PS can help you when your skilled guys go down with injuries.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all I am happy with how our roster went... Always players you like that end up cut but I can't argue much of the roster this year... I was happy we are going to be patient in Jamar Johnson and the guys we did release that I really like are back on the PS.

I think the win today is claiming Mike Ford for a roster spot held by Jonathan Harris who doesn't do much for me... I was afraid we may cut someone with that claim that I wasn't hoping we would cut. I haven't seen enough of McCrary, but I think it makes sense. You bring in a rookie RB we were high on and give him 3 weeks here and then when Boone comes back McCrary should go on our PS... If you keep Royce Freeman he is probably getting released in 3 weeks anyway.

Crockett on the PS is very similar to what Royce Freeman gives us. Not as good of a receiver but similar overall. Freeman was a great college RB but let's be honest. He was a guy who should have gone in Rd 4/5 that Elway took in Rd 3. There are many RB's out there that can do what Royce Freeman does, he was a guy that started 4 years in college. Deserved to be drafted in Round 3, but a guy you can replace with someone as easy as Damarea Crockett or Stevie Scott.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still have 3 PS spots left. Can't really think of anyone we cut that would be nice to have back on the PS. Could have someone waffling between our PS and another teams but more then likely signing 3 players that were not released by us yesterday.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-signed Cameron Fleming and Shemar Stephen.

Quinn Bailey to the PS.

Assume OJ and Boone were placed on IR.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS Tracker

1. Brett Rypien, QB
2. Austin Schlottman, OL
3. Curtis Robinson, LB
4. Seth Williams, WR
5. Kendall Hinton, WR
6. Drew Himmelman, OL
7. Shaun Beyer, TE
8. Tyrie Cleveland, WR
9. Barrington Wade, LB
10. Nate Hairston, CB
11. Marquiss Spencer, DE
12. Damarea Crockett, RB
13. Mac McClain, CB
14. Quinn Bailey, OT

S Trey Marshall- Claimed by Chargers
FB Adam Prentice- Claimed by Saints
OLB- Derrek Tuzska- Signed to Steelers PS

Broncos claimed RB Nate McCrary (Ravens) CB Mike Ford (Lions)

Broncos re-signed DT Shemar Stephen and OT Cameron Fleming.

OJ and Boone to IR- Announced now.

Broncos release RB Royce Freeman, DT Jonathan Harris

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutdown day strategies have increasingly interesting in the NFL. The Broncos released the WRs - when a flood of teams released WRs - in the case of Jonathon Harris the strategy seems to have been wait to the last minute when much of the league had their rosters set.

I personally did not like the release of Royce Freeman - who can catch passes out of the backfield and is a superior pass protector. His replacement is faster, but does not have pass protection credibility and doesn't have much of a history for pass receptions.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am indifferent on the Freeman release. I get why he was released because when Mike Boone comes back off IR he was going to take Freeman's roster spot so we went with the speedier RB who can play special teams. My only thought would be if Williams or Gordon get hurt we could have needed Freeman beyond the first 3 weeks. At the end of the day. I get the move for Denver. It makes sense to me. When Boone comes back it really is hard to keep a 4th string RB that doesn't fill a role who is going to be a free agent at the end of the season. It probably didn't make much sense to keep Freeman around. Wish we could have gotten a late pick for him but oh well.

Nobody has talked about it much but the new PS rules and eligibility has really changed cutdown day around the NFL. There is so much more you can do now with your roster. I love it. I love the new rules and the expanded PS. It use to really benefit the undrafted and late rd picks now it benefits vets and people of all ages around the NFL. With all of the injuries it really does make a lot of sense to do it the way they do now. I feel PS players are more then just practice players now. They are now more then ever, weekly options to bring up in a pinch. The only thing I may want to see them change now is up the amount of times a single player can be eligible to come up to the game day roster without having to go through waivers to be put back on the PS. Maybe instead of 2, make it 4. :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I enjoy having discussions with myself. I still talk to my matchbox car that Mingo sent me on his lost bet.

Raiders signed Peyton Barber.