• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Combine/Draft

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I know we tend to focus more on VT football-past, present, and future, but I thought I would start a thread for discussion on our guys (or other guys if you want) and the NFL combine/draft coming up. We have 5 guys in the combine this weekend/week -- Rock, RW, DE, TT , and Graves. Hope they all perform well and improve their stock. Would love to see any of these guys in a Redskins uniform.

NFL Events: Combine Participants

Current projections by rivals.com

Tyrod Taylor QB - 10 --5th-6th round
Ryan Williams RB - 3 -- 1st-2nd round
Darren Evans RB - 15 -- 4th-5th round
Rock Carmichael CB - 15 -- 3rd-4th round
John Graves DT - 18 -- 5th-6th round

I think TT has the most potential to improve his stock at the combine. Despite his size, if he throws well I think he could slide up a little bit. I think he will definitely have the edge in the athletic ability dept and will be at the top for Qb's in 40 times, cone drill, shuttle etc.

I think Graves could be a beast at the combine too. IF he runs well, I think his stock could improve alot. Someone mentioned him ending up as a 3-4 DE in the NFL. Totally agree.

Thoughts anyone??

Va Tech

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope tyrod goes to the Skins, but the eagles would be a good fit for him

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope tyrod goes to the Skins, but the eagles would be a good fit for him

I agree that the Eagles could be a good fit as he has similar skill sets to Vick, however I don't see them picking Tyrod. For one, the Eagles have bigger needs to fill on their defense (almost every position) and offensive line. And two, Vick is an anomoly in the West Coast system that the Eagles use. His height, or lack there of, closes passing windows and one of the main benefits of the WC system is to get the ball out quick. Vick routinely has to take another couple steps in his drop back to get the clearance over the defensive line necessary to make his throws. I think the benefits of having similar skill sets and not really changing much offensively would be a plus for Tyrod and the Eagles, I just don't think they will draft a non-prototypical QB for their future.

As a VT and Eagles fan, I would love to see them pick Tyrod up if they have already shored up their holes in earlier rounds. However, that would be a late pick (6th-7th round) for them to do that and I think Tyrod may go a round earlier.

I actually see the Eagles keeping both Vick and Kolb for this next year because even though Vick's salary will increase, Kolb's will decrease to the point their combined salaries would be similar to this past year. Now, if the Eagles could get a 1st or 2nd rounder for Kolb along with a trade to fill one of their holes on defense, then all bets are off. I just don't see them getting that much for Kolb though.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Graves is going to spend a decade as a starter in the NFL as a badass 3-4 defensive end. Bank on it. Someone is going to get a major steal with him. A MAJOR steal. Aaron Smith version 2.0.

I would love to see Washington steal him with one of the later round picks. They need some major help on the line and I think this is the deepest draft at D-Line in awhile.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
By my numbers: tt was 20 of 23 throwing the ball with at least 1 drop, 1 bad pass, and 1 pass the rec gave up on. There were also a couple passes that prob would have been incomplete in a game situation. Overall imo i thought tyrod threw the ball good/great but he could/should have showed his arm strength a little more. In the measurables He was 1st in the 40, tied for 1st in broad (cam), tied for 1st in shuttle (ponder i think), 2nd in verticle, 2nd in three cone, <------overall i think TT had an impressive combine.

IMO: DE prob boosted his stock and i think RW either stayed the same or fell off a spot or two with his 40 and shuttle.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Washington steal him with one of the later round picks. They need some major help on the line and I think this is the deepest draft at D-Line in awhile.

As a redskins fan, I would love this.

As a bigger hokie fan, and someone who wants to see graves kick ass, I would love to see him go to Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Green Bay.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not a huge follower of the nfl or the skins so i dont know what they got or really what they are looking for, but since they just released portis maybe the end up with RW or DE? Like i said not a huge nfl guy so i dont know, where do you think these guys end up?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge follower of the nfl or the skins so i dont know what they got or really what they are looking for, but since they just released portis maybe the end up with RW or DE? Like i said not a huge nfl guy so i dont know, where do you think these guys end up?

Thanks for the updates hunz. Here are the final results for the VT guys at the combine...I will expand on that..

Tyrod Taylor blew it up and impressed as I thought he would. I think he definetely improved his stock some. Showed great athleticism and did good in the throwing drills. Not sure if he has scheduled a pro day, individual workout??

1st in the 40 -- 4.51s
2nd in the vertical -- 37.5
3 way tie for 1st in broad jump --10'6"
2nd in the 3 cone -- 6.78
2 way tie for first in the 20yd shuttle -- 4.09

Agree with everything hunz said about RW/DE..RW IMO disappointed a bit in the 40. I knew he wasn't blazing fast but thought he would perform a bit better in this drill. Roy Helu IMO from Nebraska improved his stock alot as well.

40 --RW outside of top 15, DE was 14th @ 4.58s
Bench - RW outside of top 15, DE was 5th @ 26 reps
Vertical --RW was 2nd @ 40, DE was 12th @ 35
Broad jump --RW was 3rd @ 10'3", DE was outside of top 15
3 cone-- RW and DE tied for 12th @ 6.96
20 yd shuttle --RW 6 way tie for 8th @ 4.18, DE outside of top 15
60 yd shuttle -- RW was 5th at 11.4, DE 12th at 11.78

Graves...finish outside the top 15 in all major categories except..still think he will be a good pick for someone..Acho-- TX, Kerrigan-- Purdue, Watt--Wisc., Clayborn Iowa, and the UNC guys, to name a few did well. The draft is loaded with good D-Linemen this year IMO.
Bench - 14th @ 29
Broad jump --13th @ 9'6"3

Rock still hasn't worked out yet....

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are looking for everything man. I would say DL, OLB, WR and QB are at the top of the list. Some have said they may take Newton..I REALLY hope they don't waste a pick on him at 10, he might not be there anyway. I would like to see them take Locker in the second or one of the other guys later in the draft, IF they take one at all. I think Torain will be the starter and although I would love to see them take Williams in the second I don't think that will happen. If Evans is there in the 5th (I don't think he will be) that is a possibility. I think Graves is a possibility too. Its so hard to tell in the draft. I love the way these "experts" try to predict the entire draft. I guess it gives them something to do. After the first or second round you can throw their mocks out the window...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for so many posts and opinions..I think everyone did as expected so far in the combine. BTW RW ran an official 4.58 in the 40. I don't really understand the mixed opinions shown on this gobbler country link. Everybody's got one. I tend to agree with the one that hunz provided in an earlier post.

"IMO: DE prob boosted his stock and i think RW either stayed the same or fell off a spot or two with his 40 and shuttle."

How Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams and Tyrod Taylor Performed at the NFL Combine - Gobbler Country

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock did pretty good at the combine, I couldn't find his 40 time, but he finished outside of the top 15 in most major categories except the 20yd. shuttle, 60 yd. shuttle and 3-cone. Still look for him to be drafted 3-5.

Side Note: Reports are out that the Skins interviewed Rock:) at the combine as well as Newton:(. I hope someone else drafts him before ten, I could see Shanahan pulling the trigger on him and him being a big flop. That's the Redskins' luck...