• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL begins to make plans for replacement officials

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, mixed feelings about this... I hate the favoritism that the current officials display, but at least they can keep up with the speed of the game.

If the rookie players are always shocked by how much faster it is, I'd imagine rookie officials would be behind the curve as well. Probably won't be much of an issue though, since back in 2001 the replacements only did the last preseason and week 1 games.

I doubt something like this would last well into the season anyways, the NFL officials wouldn't want to walk away from easy money. Don't they get 5 figures per game?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt something like this would last well into the season anyways, the NFL officials wouldn't want to walk away from easy money. Don't they get 5 figures per game?

From the original article:

It’s believed that the annual salary of NFL officials ranged from $70,000 to $140,000 under the previous labor deal. While that is a lower figure than their peers in the NBA and NHL, NFL referees work a lighter schedule, calling 20 games a year prior to the playoffs. Most NFL officials also hold full-time jobs in other fields. However, NFL referees spend countless numbers of hours each year reviewing rules and game video to stay sharp in their craft.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign me up! I'll throw on the stripes for $100k next season.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out. There are a few excellent officials but most are nothing that can't be replace easily.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

It’s believed that the annual salary of NFL officials ranged from $70,000 to $140,000 under the previous labor deal.

Does that include all the bribes they get from the Steelers & Packers on a regular basis?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s believed that the annual salary of NFL officials ranged from $70,000 to $140,000 under the previous labor deal.

Does that include all the bribes they get from the Steelers & Packers on a regular basis?

The low-end 70K is from the league, the rest from the Steelers/Packers, though I believe the bribes are taxed differently. It appears that the Packers/Steelers hire them as independant contractors, which saves them the SS tax that employers are on the hook for their employees and they can claim it as a business expense. Not sure if it counts against the cap, it should. Interesting twist, though: if the league is mandating that these two teams pay the bribes, from their Joint Conspiracy Fund, then an argument could be made that the NFL, not the teams, should pay the bribes as part of their salary, thus subject to SS tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The low-end 70K is from the league, the rest from the Steelers/Packers, though I believe the bribes are taxed differently. It appears that the Packers/Steelers hire them as independant contractors, which saves them the SS tax that employers are on the hook for their employees and they can claim it as a business expense. Not sure if it counts against the cap, it should. Interesting twist, though: if the league is mandating that these two teams pay the bribes, from their Joint Conspiracy Fund, then an argument could be made that the NFL, not the teams, should pay the bribes as part of their salary, thus subject to SS tax.

If it wasn't for those bribes we'd have to listen the Seachicken fans talk about their superbowl win.