• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next off-season Draft/moves predictions for this season's playoff teams:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the jazz are in the West
Really I’m just curious with this post, no malice whatsoever, but I’m curious how you keep mixing up the Heat and Jazz (you have done it a few times). Is it some kind of autocorrect error or just their 4 letter names,...?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither do I... Therefore the Nuggets look to me to be the one out next to the Rockets, read before... I don't want to go in circles again saying all the same...

Only way that the Lakers may change tactics next season, is if things go wrong and they have a 2nd round exit from the playoffs this season and this causes trouble rising within the organization.
I just don’t see the Thunder, Mavs, and Jazz combined with the Grizzlies all having a surge to push the Nuggets out of the top eight. Just a difference of opinion that only time will tell. But the Jazz, for example, why do you think they’ll be able to surpass the Nuggets next season?

Last edited:

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t see the Thunder, Mavs, and Jazz combined with the Grizzlies all having a surge to push the Nuggets out of the top eight. Just a difference of opinion that only time will tell. But the Jazz, for example, why do you t

Don't ask me again on the Jazz/Heat thing, I've answered it befor and don't like wasting space for irrelevant in conversations.

Utah's policy, is obvious... They add an important clutch piece every season to supplement the Mitchell/Gobert duo and are careful to pick well... Last season, it was Bojan Bogdanovic they added and then Clarkson during the mid season.

Now on Conley, Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Gobert, they have an extremely competitive quartet and Ingles is obviously the weakest player in their starting roster. They have very good team friendly contracts on the players and are some 30M below the lux tax threshold for next season and have saved their Exceptions. It is quite obvious that they'll resign Clarkson and then do a trade which will bring an upgrade on Ingles which will then advance them into be able and challenge the LA teams. (They can opt for the Bogdan Bogdanovic / Nemanja Bjelica duo via a "sign and trade" with the Kings and pay well enough to achieve it - or other similar just to give you an example).

The players they can trade/replace are all on good contracts and they can "eat" salary.

The Nuggets are inferior in comparison having one Star less and only Ingles out of the Jazz roster that wouldn't start if he was a Nuggets player.

The Thunder have no doubt will keep all CP3, Gallo and Adams, Gallo will stay on a better contract and will add two wings via trades, they'll probably trade Schroeder. (Again, they could opt for the BB/Bjelica duo via a "sign and trade" and make a difficult for the Kings to refuse offer or other similar deal). They are in a much better position than the Nuggets to be able and convert the team into a (really) contending one in the West.

The Mavs, the same as the Heat and will have Doncic maturing further... Look at their financials! It all starts with ability to invest money.

IMO, the Nuggets are very near to hitting their "roof", the other teams have more upgrade potential (at least on paper).

Drafting results is obviously an unpredictable factor (especially with such a draft which may prove to have many "hidden" opportunities and then at low 1sts), as are injuries, but all equal, the Nuggets are in disadvantage.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why OKC has to "pass" anybody? what good does that to OKC? Think of one (just one reason will do) and enlighten us...

Being 19th, still means that if Indy wins more, they only have to keep an eye on the Sixers for how much they need to tank as to end up with a worst record... Therefore I'm 100% "spot on" and you still think that OKC needs (it's what has to means) to win...

*snip useless gibberish*

Bruh, OKC is 2.5 games from the 4th seed.
That means HCA in the playoffs.
That means $$$.

They are already getting Denver's pick, which is around #25, so it's not like they won't have a 1st round pick, not to mention those future 1st round picks they have accumulated.

This shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.
It's okay, though.
Not everyone can grasp the complexities and nuances that go into understanding the game of basketball. It's too bad you didn't get to experience The Process. You've made a solid effort, so there's that. I'll try to help you as much as I can.

giphy.gif

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh... you are suggesting that the Nuggets will be "in" then and therefore the (blown up) Lakers out... Interesting... I don't see it, but if there is a 2nd round exit for the Lakers, it's not impossible...

Actually you may have one cell left in your brains next to the shit I thought it was all that was left there... good you are making progress...

Lakers blown up?

giphy.gif

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers blown up?

giphy.gif

Tell me something please...

Why do I have to respond on any fucking idiot (like you) who doesn't bother to understand what has been said originally and puts words never said on others mouth?

Eeeeh dickhead?

The statement you responded to, starts with "you suggest..." dickhead!

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, when I'm a little high...reading that tweet was like reading something in a foreign langauge I kind of know. I know what is being discussed but I have no idea what it means...

GSW was into the lux tax last season and for 4th consecutive season. According to the CBA: "if a team is above the lux tax threshold for more than three seasons, out of the later four, it becomes repeaters tax eligible".

Therefore for GSW to go back into the lux tax without paying the (severe) repeaters tax for next season is impossible.

They have to stay under the lux tax threshold for another season, which then combined with this season they achieved to go "under", will make two consecutive seasons under the lux tax threshold. After the next season, they can go back into the lux tax and stay there for two more seasons (three in total), before they become repeaters tax eligible again, if they are for four continues seasons into the lux tax...

It's very similar to what the Bucks are doing, they had to stay under the lux tax threshold for this season and will stay "under" next season too... After that, they'll go above the lux tax threshold for the 21/22 season when Giannis contract renewal will come to count in the books and they have timed it with Middleton's contract expiring exactly three seasons later for "security" reasons, so that they can go back under the lux tax threshold and thus avoid paying the repeaters tax after being for three continuous seasons into the lux tax.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSW was into the lux tax last season and for 4th consecutive season. According to the CBA: "if a team is above the lux tax threshold for more than three seasons, out of the later four, it becomes repeaters tax eligible".

Therefore for GSW to go back into the lux tax without paying the (severe) repeaters tax for next season is impossible.

They have to stay under the lux tax threshold for another season, which then combined with this season they achieved to go "under", will make two consecutive seasons under the lux tax threshold. After the next season, they can go back into the lux tax and stay there for two more seasons (three in total), before they become repeaters tax eligible again, if they are for four continues seasons into the lux tax...

It's very similar to what the Bucks are doing, they had to stay under the lux tax threshold for this season and will stay "under" next season too... After that, they'll go above the lux tax threshold for the 21/22 season when Giannis contract renewal will come to count in the books and they have timed it with Middleton's contract expiring exactly three seasons later for "security" reasons, so that they can go back under the lux tax threshold and thus avoid paying the repeaters tax after being for three continuous seasons into the lux tax.

The Warriors did not pay the Luxury Tax in 2016-2017. They did pay in 2017-18 and 2018-2019.

This season the Warriors are under the Luxury tax in the 2019-2020 season.

The Warriors avoid the repeater tax as they will have only paid the tax in 2 of the 4 seasons.

Golden State Warriors Salary Archive – 2016/17 | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me something please...

Why do I have to respond on any fucking idiot (like you) who doesn't bother to understand what has been said originally and puts words never said on others mouth?

Eeeeh dickhead?

The statement you responded to, starts with "you suggest..." dickhead!

You earn more respect with honey motherfucker.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@buckalis

From an article on The Athletic:

"A team must be taxed that season and have paid the luxury tax in at least three of the previous four years. Put a different way, the season in question must be at least the fourth time in the last five years (including that season) that the franchise has paid the luxury tax."

That means the Warriors do not have to pay the repeater tax this year, nor will they have to pay a repeater tax in 2021.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors did not pay the Luxury Tax in 2016-2017. They did pay in 2017-18 and 2018-2019.

This season the Warriors are under the Luxury tax in the 2019-2020 season.

The Warriors avoid the repeater tax as they will have only paid the tax in 2 of the 4 seasons.

Golden State Warriors Salary Archive – 2016/17 | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

It still doesn't matter, because if they'll walk into the tax for next season, they'll not be able to stay there two seasons later. Best efficiency is to have two continuous seasons below the tax and then if you need to have the max of three seasons to stay above the threshold.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still doesn't matter, because if they'll walk into the tax for next season, they'll not be able to stay there two seasons later. Best efficiency is to have two continuous seasons below the tax and then if you need to have the max of three seasons to stay above the threshold.

It actually does matter. You're talking about two seasons down the line. In the NBA that is a lifetime of change that happens. Two seasons ago the Warriors were a two time defending NBA Champion going for a 3-peat. This year they have the worst record in the league. Two years ago the Lakers were a 35 win team. This year they're one of the strongest challengers for the Title. Hell two years ago the Bucks were a 7th seed team. Now they've got the best record in the league.

The Warriors will have two seasons (this and next) without having to face a repeater tax. After that who knows what will change two years down the line. The Warriors will then have two high draft picks and could potentially move one of their other players (Wiggins or Draymond) for cap relief.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@buckalis

From an article on The Athletic:

"A team must be taxed that season and have paid the luxury tax in at least three of the previous four years. Put a different way, the season in question must be at least the fourth time in the last five years (including that season) that the franchise has paid the luxury tax."

That means the Warriors do not have to pay the repeater tax this year, nor will they have to pay a repeater tax in 2021.

I thought they were in the tax during 2016-17, but still won't go into the tax next season, in order to be able and have three continuous seasons to stay into the tax another season later...

four out five seasons means that by having two continuous under the tax, you achieve most effectiveness.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually does matter. You're talking about two seasons down the line. In the NBA that is a lifetime of change that happens. Two seasons ago the Warriors were a two time defending NBA Champion going for a 3-peat. This year they have the worst record in the league. Two years ago the Lakers were a 35 win team. This year they're one of the strongest challengers for the Title. Hell two years ago the Bucks were a 7th seed team. Now they've got the best record in the league.

The Warriors will have two seasons (this and next) without having to face a repeater tax. After that who knows what will change two years down the line. The Warriors will then have two high draft picks and could potentially move one of their other players (Wiggins or Draymond) for cap relief.
no it's not a life time... it's the 4th year in five, not four continuous without being repeaters tax eligible... It means that if you are two continuous "under", then you have three continuous "over" to play with...

It will be stupid to go "over" next season and then go back "under" only a season later in order to avoid the repeaters tax obligation...

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no it's not a life time... it's the 4th year in five, not four continuous without being repeaters tax eligible... It means that if you are two continuous "under", then you have three continuous "over" to play with...

It will be stupid to go "over" next season and then go back "under" only a season later in order to avoid the repeaters tax obligation...

It will be stupid to go over the tax for no reason. If the Warriors are afforded an opportunity to compete for a championship, they will do it. They have done so in the past and will do so again. Precedent is on the Warriors side with this one.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be stupid to go over the tax for no reason. If the Warriors are afforded an opportunity to compete for a championship, they will do it. They have done so in the past and will do so again. Precedent is on the Warriors side with this one.

No they won't, absolutely no chance they will... To significantly increase their current chances, it would mean adding a 30+M contract via trade, because no exception can get you that much back, the exceptions they have they'll use to add role players for higher than min. contracts.

Then they'll try to "buy" Giannis on a "sign and trade" from the Bucks a season later (as will another 28 teams in the league)... If they go over the tax next season, it will mean that they'll be the only team out in pursuing Giannis an off-season later...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comedy gold...this kid will never learn how the NBA and the cap works lolzzz

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ask me again on the Jazz/Heat thing, I've answered it befor and don't like wasting space for irrelevant in conversations.

Utah's policy, is obvious... They add an important clutch piece every season to supplement the Mitchell/Gobert duo and are careful to pick well... Last season, it was Bojan Bogdanovic they added and then Clarkson during the mid season.

Now on Conley, Mitchel, Bogdanovic and Gobert, they have an extremely competitive quartet and Ingles is obviously the weakest player in their starting roster. They have very good team friendly contracts on the players and are some 30M below the lux tax threshold for next season and have saved their Exceptions. It is quite obvious that they'll resign Clarkson and then do a trade which will bring an upgrade on Ingles which will then advance them into be able and challenge the LA teams. (They can opt for the Bogdan Bogdanovic / Nemanja Bjelica duo via a "sign and trade" with the Kings and pay well enough to achieve it - or other similar just to give you an example).

The players they can trade/replace are all on good contracts and they can "eat" salary.

The Nuggets are inferior in comparison having one Star less and only Ingles out of the Jazz roster that wouldn't start if he was a Nuggets player.

The Thunder have no doubt will keep all CP3, Gallo and Adams, Gallo will stay on a better contract and will add two wings via trades, they'll probably trade Schroeder. (Again, they could opt for the BB/Bjelica duo via a "sign and trade" and make a difficult for the Kings to refuse offer or other similar deal). They are in a much better position than the Nuggets to be able and convert the team into a (really) contending one in the West.

The Mavs, the same as the Heat and will have Doncic maturing further... Look at their financials! It all starts with ability to invest money.

IMO, the Nuggets are very near to hitting their "roof", the other teams have more upgrade potential (at least on paper).

Drafting results is obviously an unpredictable factor (especially with such a draft which may prove to have many "hidden" opportunities and then at low 1sts), as are injuries, but all equal, the Nuggets are in disadvantage.
Believe it or not, I do not read everything you post. I have not seen any explanation of how you mix up the Jazz and Heat regularly and am genuinely interested since they are so different.

So,by your estimate the Jazz are already better than the Nuggets and will add another piece. While I also think they are better on paper, games are not played on paper and this team has failed to completely gel and in reality trail the Nuggets. And I assume that the Nuggets can also work to improve their roster. I just don't see, even with your above analysis how these team get better enough to overtake the Nuggets, or enough of them can that they would not be a top 8 seed.