• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next OC and DC:

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Have you guys figured who "deep throat" who leaked all the info from 49ers HQ is yet? Take a guess :)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo:

Not sure if it is that good coaches don't want to come here or that the FO isn't interested in coming here. Seems Shanihan was interested in coming here, not sure what happened there. Players will usually go for the money and/or a chance to start. Balke hasn't chased high priced free agents and the team's current salary cap position will probably preclude the team from pursuing much in the way of free agency anyway.

Yes, I agree that money is generally the number one consideration for players; however, if money is equal, then coaching staff could be one of the primary reasons why a player chooses one team over another. If we assume that the salary cap makes all teams equal with regard to player salaries, then one of the ways that I think a good team separates itself from the rest of the league is by having a top notch front office and coaching staff. I fear that right now we're not looking so great in that department. Again, I hope that Jed and Trent hit home runs with their coordinator hires. We're gonna need them to do that in order to get back to being one of the elite teams.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is still a lot of talent of the team, they just didn't have that team chemistry in 2014. IMO this talent will win more than 5 games in 2015.

yes, there will be some transitioning issues for new schemes, but don't see how ANY Coaching staff can reduce this roster to 5 or less?

Wait and see. These same coaches accomplished nothing with mostly the same roster before Harbaugh took over.

These same players aren't going to be doing the same things as they have been over the last 4 years. New (worse) schemes are coming. How do you think a veteran lockerroom is going to like a joke coaching staff coming in and changing everything? I guarantee the first sign of ANYTHING going south and these players are going to start worrying about their next contracts with their new franchises.

This whole situation just outright reeks of 2002-03 all over again. I would be shocked if we're not drafting in the top 8 next year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schecter is reporting that Tony Sparano is going to be the new 49ers TE coach. Can't be any worse than Mangini I guess.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schecter is reporting that Tony Sparano is going to be the new 49ers TE coach. Can't be any worse than Mangini I guess.

As a TE coach, Saparano has more experience and sucess than Mangini.. Saparano was the TE coach for the Cowboys during Parcell's era.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot of people thought Balke was going to be the one behind the coaching hires, but it appears more and more like Tomsula is actually behind these hires. Seems almost all of these coaches worked with Tomsula in the past.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is finally a good pick up. a Head coach type coach at the TE position.

Why are people knocking mangini as DC, he was a good DC with the Pats.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wait and see. These same coaches accomplished nothing with mostly the same roster before Harbaugh took over.

These same players aren't going to be doing the same things as they have been over the last 4 years. New (worse) schemes are coming. How do you think a veteran lockerroom is going to like a joke coaching staff coming in and changing everything? I guarantee the first sign of ANYTHING going south and these players are going to start worrying about their next contracts with their new franchises.

This whole situation just outright reeks of 2002-03 all over again. I would be shocked if we're not drafting in the top 8 next year.

Not an entirely fair comparison.

First and foremost, let's consider the coaching. Mike Singletary was the head coach. No matter how bad Tomsula is, he will be better than Singletary. The OC for the offseason and the first three games was Jimmy Raye. No need to say more. He was replaced by Mike Johnson. Mike Johnson was the OC for UCLA the following year, was fired the next year, and has not coached since. The year after he left UCLA, the team put up 1,200 more yards and scored 17 more TDs. I feel confident saying that whoever coaches the offense will be more effective than these guys, even if it's Lane Kiffin.

Second, the most significant improvements came on defense, not offense. The offense was almost identical in terms of players (though Troy Smith started six games in 2010), but the offense wasn't markedly better in 2011. They actually regressed in terms of yards. The scoring was significantly improved, but that improvement was attributable largely to field position and turnovers. The one significant change in offense was the reduction in turnovers, where we led the league in 2011. I fully expect our offense to be better following Harbaugh's departure, though I could certainly be disappointed.

The big difference in the team on the field between 2010 and 2011 came on defense. Some of that is likely attributable to Fangio, but it's not like Manusky was a terrible coach. He's been quite successful in the same capacity since leaving the Niners. And the Niners' D was already good against the run in 2010. So where was the improvement? Easy: pass defense. The Niners went from 24th in passing yards and 21st in passing TDs to 16th in yards and 8th in TDs. Perhaps more importantly, they increased their INTs dramatically, from 17 to 23.

Third, the pass defense personnel was quite different. In 2010, our back-end starters were Dashon Goldson, Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, and some combination of Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays (who have combined for four starts in the four years since). In 2011, our back-end starters were Dashon Goldson, Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, and Donte Whitner. It was a drastic improvement in terms of personnel, particularly at safety. Rogers was a revelation that year, as he suddenly (and for just that one year, really) figured out how to catch the ball. Then consider the front-end players in the pass rush package. That's the year Ahmad Brooks - who was new to the team in 2010 - moved into the starting lineup. It is also the year we drafted a guy named Aldon Smith, who immediately became a pass-rushing force replacing Manny Lawson. Behind the additions of Rogers, Whitner, and Smith - all of whom played at a pro bowl level in 2011 - our pass D was suddenly legit, forcing turnovers and holding teams to three-and-outs. The combination of the Smiths on the defensive right side was devastating all year. That, admittedly combined with a reduction in INTs, led to us not only improving, but challenging for the Super Bowl.

Now, look, I'm just as worried as everyone else that this team is going to fall short of the expectations that fans and apparently the FO have for it in 2015. But this should not be 2010 all over again. The players are there, and the coaches should at least be competent on both sides of the ball. Though the division is much tougher now, so there is a chance our record could be similar.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you guys figured who "deep throat" who leaked all the info from 49ers HQ is yet? Take a guess :)

Sorry, my cynic decoder is broken - Tomsula, who wanted the job; York, who didn't like Harbaugh; Baalke, who wanted Tomsula as coach; Harbaugh, who wanted out once he heard of us not kicking Cleveland out when the Browns inquired. (If Cleveland called but we laughed at it, Harbaugh wouldn't have held it against us.);

??? I'm dying to know.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice move. I like it. Its not a home run but its a triple. The reason I give it a triple because he does have success as a DC and he already knows our players. Good move. 1 out of 10 I give it a 7.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO here but I don't recall ever seeing a team build from the bottom up like the 9ers are doing right now. First step was to get a HC....check. Next step was he brings in his staff....no. Bring in a OC and he brings in his staff...no. Bring in a DC and he brings in his staff...no. Why are the 9ers building a staff of coaches before hiring a OC or DC? :gaah:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB coach perry farewell.

its actually turning into a nice staff. Lets hope we can land Chud or Shanahan for OC and I will be some what happy overall with this staff.

I agree with Dark I don't think I ever saw a team do it this way. usually u want your OC and DC to bring in coaches that have the same thoughts or game plan. This is kind of weird.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DB coach perry farewell.

its actually turning into a nice staff. Lets hope we can land Chud or Shanahan for OC and I will be some what happy overall with this staff.

I agree with Dark I don't think I ever saw a team do it this way. usually u want your OC and DC to bring in coaches that have the same thoughts or game plan. This is kind of weird.

You mean Perry Fewell, right?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah also bryant young for DL coach. just rumors

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO here but I don't recall ever seeing a team build from the bottom up like the 9ers are doing right now. First step was to get a HC....check. Next step was he brings in his staff....no. Bring in a OC and he brings in his staff...no. Bring in a DC and he brings in his staff...no. Why are the 9ers building a staff of coaches before hiring a OC or DC? :gaah:

The only reason I can think of is because Tomsula has an idea of what his defense and offense should look like and what they should be doing. With that in mind he's going out to get coaches that will implement what he wants. He either already has an OC and DC in mind (Mangini now obviously for DC) that he's spoken with and are on the same page, or he'll force his coordinators to run his show.

I don't know how all these guys are going to pan out, but I do like that he's been able to get guys with head coaching experience and turn them into position coaches. The track record of former HC's doing well as OC's or DC's is fairly good so I'm hoping that these guys will do even better with a position group.

Only thing I worry about is too many cooks in the kitchen, Maiocco mentioned something like this but pointed out that our offense had 17 assistants. My point being those 17 assistants didn't work out well at all.