• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next OC and DC:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only reason I can think of is because Tomsula has an idea of what his defense and offense should look like and what they should be doing. With that in mind he's going out to get coaches that will implement what he wants. He either already has an OC and DC in mind (Mangini now obviously for DC) that he's spoken with and are on the same page, or he'll force his coordinators to run his show.
I don't know how all these guys are going to pan out, but I do like that he's been able to get guys with head coaching experience and turn them into position coaches. The track record of former HC's doing well as OC's or DC's is fairly good so I'm hoping that these guys will do even better with a position group.

Only thing I worry about is too many cooks in the kitchen, Maiocco mentioned something like this but pointed out that our offense had 17 assistants. My point being those 17 assistants didn't work out well at all.

No doubt he has to find Coordinators that share his views in general. They should be given some leeway to be creative, but basically run what Tomsula envisions. If he has to force his Coordinators to run his show, then he made a BAD choice.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt he has to find Coordinators that share his views in general. They should be given some leeway to be creative, but basically run what Tomsula envisions. If he has to force his Coordinators to run his show, then he made a BAD choice.

Nothing about this post gives me confidence in this coaching staff. What if Tomsula's vision is so stupid (and likely the reason that legit coaches are fleeing in exodus from our interviews) that it guarantees the team loses? What if his decisions are so bad that a coach who rightfully disagrees with him is "a BAD choice?"

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I starting to think front office is rounding up X coaches around Tomsula as insurance and to help him out. I think York thinks the players will play for tomsula and Tomsula doesn't have to be a master mind. They will hire coaches that plan for the team.

Tomsula is there to be the cheerleader and to pump these guys up. He will do his part to teach the Lineman. He won't be the main game planner. He will leave that up to the OC and DC.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is finally a good pick up. a Head coach type coach at the TE position.

Why are people knocking mangini as DC, he was a good DC with the Pats.

But what has he done lately? You mentioned repeatedly that you're not a fan of Mike Shanahan because of his failures in Washington, yet you seem to be high on Mangini. He was a good DC with the the Patriots, but he was lousy with the Browns. His coaching record is 14 games under 500. Make up your mind. You don't mind Mangini, but do not want Shanahan.:think:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

But what has he done lately? You mentioned repeatedly that you're not a fan of Mike Shanahan because of his failures in Washington, yet you seem to be high on Mangini. He was a good DC with the the Patriots, but he was lousy with the Browns. His coaching record is 14 games under 500. Make up your mind. You don't mind Mangini, but do not want Shanahan.:think:

Paging Shanahan, lol. Shanny was a succcesful hc, mangini never was. Althougyh there were numerous good coordinators who made lousy HC. Would love to have Turner back

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paging Shanahan, lol. Shanny was a succcesful hc, mangini never was. Althougyh there were numerous good coordinators who made lousy HC. Would love to have Turner back

I would love to have Turner back also. I am anxious to see how the Niners do next year. I want to remain positive, but I don't see them making the playoffs. That's just my honest opinion.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Turner back also. I am anxious to see how the Niners do next year. I want to remain positive, but I don't see them making the playoffs. That's just my honest opinion.

I hear ya. There is a part of me that fears the worst. Have doubts about Tomsula

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there that someone else posted:

@grantcohn: Mangini’s one season as a DC (05), the Pats’ D ranked 17th.

In 04, the Pats’ D ranked 2nd.

In 06, the Pats’ D ranked 2nd

Saw a few different posts on the Mangini hire as our DC from a few different articles.

Pats Defense:
2004: 7th. Mangini not DC
2005: 27th. Mangini is DC
2006: 7th. Mangini not DC

Jets Defense with Mangini as head coach
2006: 6th
2007: 19th
2008: 18th
Jets defense in 2009 under Rex Ryan: 1st

Browns Mangini has head coach
2009: 21st
2010: 13th
Browns defense in 2011 under Pat Shurmur: 5th

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz Response:

Patriots starters in 2004, 2005 (with Mangini as DC), and 2006.

LDE - Ty Warren (2nd season), Ty Warren, Ty Warren (15 starts)
NT - Keith Traylor (10 starts), Vince WIlfork (2nd season), Vince Wilfork (13 starts)
RDE - Richard Seymour (15 starts), Richard Seymour (12 starts), Richard Seymour (15 starts)

LOLB - Willie McGinest, Willie McGinest, Roosevelt Colvin (15 starts)
LILB - Ted Johnson (15 starts), Tedy Bruschi (9 starts), Junior Seau (10 starts)
RILB - Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi (14 starts)
ROLB - Mike Vrabel (15 starts), Mike Vrabel, Mike Vrabel

LCB - Ty Law (7 starts), Asante Samuel (2nd season), Asante Samuel
RCB - Randall Gay (rookie - 9 starts), Ellis Hobbs (rookie - 8 starts), Ellis Hobbs (9 starts)

SS - Rodney Harrison, Artrell Hawkins (4 starts - signed in November), Rodney Harrison (10 starts)
FS - Eugene Wilson (2nd season), Eugene Wilson, Artrell Hawkins (12 starts)

-----------

Note: Two weeks following the Super Bowl in 2004, Tedy Bruschi suffered his stroke and didn't end up returning until the middle of October (Mangini's DC season). They also lost Ty Law (released due to his 12+M salary), had other injuries at CB (Duane Starks on IR, who they traded for), and lost Rodney Harrison in week 3 to a season-ending injury.

In total, their injuries forced them to start 45 different players during the season, which at the time was an NFL record for a division champion. They also released Roman Phifer and Keith Traylor (added Wilfork to the lineup, though). Ted Johnson surprisingly retired and wasn't there in 2005 either.

They also lost their assistant OL and TEs coach, who went with Crenell to Cleveland. They also lost their strength and conditioning coach that year as well as a few other lower level assistants. In addition, some pieces in the front office were missing from 2004.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing this out there that someone else posted:

Thanks MHS. There are times when Purguy just says things without researching them like teams using the same footballs. He kept insisting when three posters told him otherwise. I just shake my head. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, but if you do, own up to it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nothing about this post gives me confidence in this coaching staff. What if Tomsula's vision is so stupid (and likely the reason that legit coaches are fleeing in exodus from our interviews) that it guarantees the team loses? What if his decisions are so bad that a coach who rightfully disagrees with him is "a BAD choice?"

this is what we'll find out over time, but why be so negative (lose confidence) now? why make it so bad that you won't enjoy the off-season? won't enjoy the games next season? Yes, there is a chance Tomsula has 'stupid' visions, but there is a chance with any candidate.

EVERYONE knows the pressure to win, from York on down. No matter whom they named HC and subsequent Coordinators, SOMEONE would rant over it. Can you name a HC that you would've been PERFECTLY fine with? So to me, ranting about Tomsula is the same as ranting over Shanny, Holmgren, Fox, Fangio, whomever. Ranting over potential Coordinators is a given, just the rumored name changes day to day.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

I didn't say it was a home run I said I like it because the last time he was a DC he did well and add in that he already knows our players. Im not saying this is a great move or the best move ever. I can live with this hire. My mind is made up u need to understand the different situations. Plus I said I don't want mike as the head coach. I can live with mike as the OC. Please stop making stuff up. Its getting really bad.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks MHS. There are times when Purguy just says things without researching them like teams using the same footballs. He kept insisting when three posters told him otherwise. I just shake my head. No one is perfect and we all make mistakes, but if you do, own up to it.

U forget he was part of those Defenses. Before he was DC. Dont act like he had nothing to do with it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U guys are making it sound some one said he is the best ever. Im just stating I don't mind the move and its a mixture of him already knowing our team. I even said this isn't a home run. I gave it a triple because he is familiar with the players. If he was coming in from the outside I would of gave it a double. Meaning Avg move. Stop trying to make it sound like Im calling this a Great move.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha, I didn't actually read anything in this thread before posting that. So I wasn't helping you out, but will in the future. ;) I was trying to point out the negative someone noted and the mitigating circumstances from Pozz.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangini as DC? The hits just keep coming don't they? I wonder what stellar news will come with the offensive side of the ball. I can only hope these defensive players can just make it happen without much help from the coaching staff.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I didn't actually read anything in this thread before posting that. So I wasn't helping you out, but will in the future. ;) I was trying to point out the negative someone noted and the mitigating circumstances from Pozz.

My optimism about the Mangini hire has been dampened a little by these two posts. little depressing considering our defense didnt really miss a beat without some important pieces. Still though, we will see how it plays out.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U guys are making it sound some one said he is the best ever. Im just stating I don't mind the move and its a mixture of him already knowing our team. I even said this isn't a home run. I gave it a triple because he is familiar with the players. If he was coming in from the outside I would of gave it a double. Meaning Avg move. Stop trying to make it sound like Im calling this a Great move.

I dont know what would be the most accurate baseball parable, but I would have to say, its more of a sac bunt, hoping to advance the runner from first to second... Meaning the front office is trying to just get by this year with who ever will take the job and hope it will be more attractive in years to come or the beggers cant be choosers approach will actually turn out better than expected?

It seems no one wants to coach here but guys who dont really have other options or trying to redeem their reputation.

Jed York is turning the Niners into The Lakers!!! Im glad I still have the SF Giants...