• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

............. Next Longhorn Head Coach

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING NEWS Jimmys yacht has reportedly been sunk by a large fishing boat called USS GLANVILLE

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a slant on how it all apparently shook out:
Y! SPORTS

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

This COULD be the truth... in which case FUCK YOU, GOV PERRY, you FUCKING Aggie.

And then, yes, this would mean that we weren't at all prepared to get another coach, and therefore this search will be a while longer than i had thought, and our program will suffer even more.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 smackaroos says this "source" was one William Brown

or Joe Jamail

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this probably was the truth. He wouldn't been here this year if it weren't for Powers and Dodds. There was overwhelming support to fire him last year, but the "good ole boys" club saved his ass. Everybody including the higher ups though he was done for sure this year, and then the rumors started that they were going to keep him again. Finally someone said ENOUGH and told Powers that he's done or your done. Bravo!

I'm not worried about time. Texas will get a damn good football coach and the recruits know it. Add that with everything else, we will be fine. It will take longer then what people think, but we will be fine. I honestly believe Mack Brown has done more damage than what people are willing to admit. This money crap is just that, crap. Let us start winning again on a big level and you will see all the money Mack brought in and more. Hopefully the new coach will remove the smoke and mirrors and actually get us some good players based on playing on green grass, not the hyped up media that tried to make Mack Brown look good. The title of "Mr. February" was a complete joke. I know some of you disagree, but it's just my opinion.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about time. Texas will get a damn good football coach and the recruits know it. .

Disagree.

Briles is whispering "You'll get to start. You don't know what's happening in Austin now."
Saban is whispering "You'll get to play for a juggernaut. You don't know what's happening in Austin now."
Sumlin is whispering "You'll get to play in the SEC and on tv every week. You don't know what's happening in Austin now"
Stoops is whispering "We're in yet another BCS Bowl. You don't know what's happening in Austin now"

It's a big deal IMO.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

Most interesting part to me:

It wasn't long after Brown's announced resignation Saturday night that the phone started ringing. The source confirmed an Austin American-Statesman report that a representative of Nebraska called to check on Brown's interest in coaching there.
He was counseled against it.
"They're doing the exact same thing to Bo Pelini that Texas did to you," Brown was told, according to the source. "Why do you want to go there?"

Because when I said something similar about why would Saban want to come to Texas after seeing what had been going on with Mack, I was told I was clueless. Yet according to this offer, Mack looked at exactly the same thing when it come to Nebraska and turned it down.

Assuming it's true of course.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles is whispering "You'll get to start. You don't know what's happening in Austin now."
Saban is whispering "You'll get to play for a juggernaut. You don't know what's happening in Austin now."
Sumlin is whispering "You'll get to play in the SEC and on tv every week. You don't know what's happening in Austin now"
Stoops is whispering "We're in yet another BCS Bowl. You don't know what's happening in Austin now"
Its a DEAD period.
I would love for any of those coaches to be that god awful stupid openly.

Sure you can sort of dance around it with handwritten letters, but the dead period penalties are draconian. The NCAA likes to hand out triple the pain if a coach breaks the rules in a DEAD PERIOD. They can bang you hard for anything, but they are particularly evil during dead period violations.

TEXAS made damn sure that the dead period was established (12/17 to 01/03) before any of the Mack Brown stuff was made official. And they will get a coach before the 01/03 deadline.

Now, if it continues past 01/03, than that comes into play.
I suspect Texas will have someone prior to 01/03 or they are complete morons.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whispers resonate from before the dead period. THE POINT is that these are the things going through the minds of a potential recruit during the MOST IMPORTANT days of deciding something that the recruit thinks will be the MOST IMPORTANT decision of his life.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whispers resonate from before the dead period. THE POINT is that these are the things going through the minds of a potential recruit during the MOST IMPORTANT days of deciding something that the recruit thinks will be the MOST IMPORTANT decision of his life.

I totally agree, but think about all Texas has to offer. These recruits know that Texas is still the top place to play in Texas. Yes ATM has gained some ground, but Texas is still number one. I think the recruits and players have totally lost faith in Mack Brown. I think it happened more than two year ago when you had coaches fighting in front of the players. Todays recruits KNOW without a doubt that Texas is going to get a good coach. They want to be able to play and play for a winning team. I don't think Baylor has staying power and neither do the recruits. Why, because there is no history. For example Boise St. Here today, gone tomorrow. Texas has never been gone in the minds of those players as a top notch school with history. Bad seasons, yes, but not gone. I do think it will be after Jan. 3rd and I'm ok with that. Get the best damn coach available, and that probably means waiting until then.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I posted before, my hope is that Texas is waiting because we already found the coach, and he's playing for a BCS Bowl title.

Dantonio, please.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I posted before, my hope is that Texas is waiting because we already found the coach, and he's playing for a BCS Bowl title.

Dantonio, please.

Every day that goes by where an announcement isn't made, you would have to assume that the corch is actively corching somewhere...so at least they will have bowl experience.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a DEAD period.
I would love for any of those coaches to be that god awful stupid openly.

Sure you can sort of dance around it with handwritten letters, but the dead period penalties are draconian. The NCAA likes to hand out triple the pain if a coach breaks the rules in a DEAD PERIOD. They can bang you hard for anything, but they are particularly evil during dead period violations.

TEXAS made damn sure that the dead period was established (12/17 to 01/03) before any of the Mack Brown stuff was made official. And they will get a coach before the 01/03 deadline.

Now, if it continues past 01/03, than that comes into play.
I suspect Texas will have someone prior to 01/03 or they are complete morons.

The "Dead Period" was changed for 2013-2014. It is now Dec 16, 2013 through Jan 15, 2014, which gives Texas even more time to decide on the next coach.

NCAA approves new rules on football recruiting

Last edited by a moderator:

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I would go with Dantonio. Maybe they can learn to play some defense in the Big 12? :noidea:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's either Briles or Gundy and both still have a Bowl Game to play.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dantonio, please.

I think that is very likely.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I would go with Dantonio. Maybe they can learn to play some defense in the Big 12? :noidea:

I have to respectfully disagree. In most years, I really do think a lot of people under estimate the power of these "spread" type offenses. If you can throw the football effectively in college football, you will be successful. Look at ATM and Mizzou has done in the SEC. They have racked up some pretty good numbers on those so called "great" defenses in the SEC. I know it's a snap shot, but these offenses can level a playing field in a hurry. All it takes is a good qb.