• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

............. Next Longhorn Head Coach

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see recruiting in a sense of 'properly evaluating' potential recruits, but not getting them in the door to consider the Texas program.

They have an ass ton of kids who want to play there.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the University of Texas going NFL?

A team is comprised of more than a QB.

Texas needs no help recruiting.

You make really good point about a team being about more than just the QB.
But I may disagree somewhat about recruiting. No matter what the 'expert recruiting services' say, Texas' recruiting has suffered quite a bit. While some areas may be okay, others have suffered for years. We play teams that have much better skill players, DBs, LBs and Offensive linemen, just in our own conference.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make really good point about a team being about more than just the QB.
But I may disagree somewhat about recruiting. No matter what the 'expert recruiting services' say, Texas' recruiting has suffered quite a bit. While some areas may be okay, others have suffered for years. We play teams that have much better skill players, DBs, LBs and Offensive linemen, just in our own conference.

That is going to happen though. If you have success, or top 3 recruiting that makes it harder to recruit in a couple of years. Yes, top level players will still want to go to that school but if you are a 4 star recruit and you know that the last 3 years a 4 or 5 star has signed and another 5 star is heavily considering a school...are you going to go there? Sure if you make it to the starting lineup you are assured at least a training camp invite, but if you don't then you end up on ST and looking at Canadian ball :)

Texas "down years" of recruiting are more a product of a stocked system than it is the school losing prestige or anything Mack did. IMO

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I would not mind your old coach at Utah State.. I like Anderson. I would take him over a lot of more well known candidates.
Dude is solid but I would still take Franklin what he has done at Vandy is much more impressive.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is solid but I would still take Franklin what he has done at Vandy is much more impressive.
-
Are kidding? He resurrected Utah State. Vandy looks like Alabama in comparison. Utah State won 10 games in the 5 yrs prior to Anderson. Last winning record was 6-5 in 1996. He was a well respected DC under Meyers. Franklin showed little in his OC period. Wisconsin is currently sitting with a top 20 class that would be their first in a very long time. I like Franklin, but I really cant figure out what makes him good. Seems like a rah-rah type coach. I suspect he is lacking in the schematic department.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
texas-bracket-full.jpg

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Are kidding? He resurrected Utah State. Vandy looks like Alabama in comparison. Utah State won 10 games in the 5 yrs prior to Anderson. Last winning record was 6-5 in 1996. He was a well respected DC under Meyers. Franklin showed little in his OC period. Wisconsin is currently sitting with a top 20 class that would be their first in a very long time. I like Franklin, but I really cant figure out what makes him good. Seems like a rah-rah type coach. I suspect he is lacking in the schematic department.
How hard is it to turn a team around in the MWC? Seriously if luck on about 3 skill position players you can make a run and Chuckie Keeton is an outstanding QB.

As for Whisky they haven't done much that they didn't do under BB.

Franklin is winning in the absolute worst job, on the worst team in the best conference. As for recruiting Vandy is sitting at #19 on Rivals...VANDY IS RECRUITING A TOP 20 CLASS!!!!

I mean seriously I don't know what else I can tell you if Malzhan were to go Franklin would be the number one target I would want for Auburn to go after.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it either but crazier things have happened. There is also a rumor that he is doing this, in order to garner interest from Jerry Jones to coach the Cowboys. I have no clue. It makes more sense to go to Austin. He would, presumably make more money and have authority that Jones would never allow him.

Jerry would never hire Gruden. Gruden would demand complete control and tell Jerry to keep his old ass in his suite, don't do interviews and just sign the checks. Jerry already said Cowboy fans won't have any apathy b/c we'll still go to the games, spend money on merchandise, etc. Jerry doesn't give two shits about winning, he's all about the money. If he cared, he would have fired the GM a long, long time ago.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hard is it to turn a team around in the MWC? Seriously if luck on about 3 skill position players you can make a run and Chuckie Keeton is an outstanding QB.

As for Whisky they haven't done much that they didn't do under BB.

Franklin is winning in the absolute worst job, on the worst team in the best conference. As for recruiting Vandy is sitting at #19 on Rivals...VANDY IS RECRUITING A TOP 20 CLASS!!!!

I mean seriously I don't know what else I can tell you if Malzhan were to go Franklin would be the number one target I would want for Auburn to go after.

Now you are going full SEC, SEC, SEC on me. His 8 wins are Austin Peay, UMass, UAB, Georgia (very good), Florida, UK, Tenn, and Wake. Lets not pretend that is murder's row. Last yr was Presbyterian, Mizzu, Auburn, Umass, UK, Ole Miss, Tenn, and Wake. He is not beating many teams over .500. Honestly, I think he did a solid job this yr. I think the "best conference" thing is skewing your opinion. The SEC east is a bit of a mess right now.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Gruden goes, I'm all for him being our HC. You know this guy can recruit, he won't spoil our athletes the way Mack does, he won't be clapping his hands on the sidelines after our players fuck up and pat them on the ass and tell them,"It's OK". He'll get rid of this country club type setting and start holding players accountable. Gruden is the perfect candidate.....

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are going full SEC, SEC, SEC on me. His 8 wins are Austin Peay, UMass, UAB, Georgia (very good), Florida, UK, Tenn, and Wake. Lets not pretend that is murder's row. Last yr was Presbyterian, Mizzu, Auburn, Umass, UK, Ole Miss, Tenn, and Wake. He is not beating many teams over .500. Honestly, I think he did a solid job this yr. I think the "best conference" thing is skewing your opinion. The SEC east is a bit of a mess right now.
Well that is fair but also factor in the MWC is complete crap and the entire B1G is worse than the SEC East. I guess you are stuck comparing crap to crap to see who has the best swirl.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Gruden goes, I'm all for him being our HC. You know this guy can recruit, he won't spoil our athletes the way Mack does, he won't be clapping his hands on the sidelines after our players fuck up and pat them on the ass and tell them,"It's OK". He'll get rid of this country club type setting and start holding players accountable. Gruden is the perfect candidate.....
Gruden is going to break so many hearts maybe more than Saban.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you certain Gruden can recruit? He's not even a good coach anyway

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ thinking Jimbo Fisher would even consider the job...what has Texas done that Florida State hasn't done and with more consistency

Paid the HC millions more, but hey money doesnt play much in decisions these days

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild Turkey, you don't have to explain James Franklin to us. We've seen him up close and personal when he coached at Kansas St. He's an offensive guy who regularly turns out mediocre offenses. His defensive coordinator is the one who can coach an Vandy. What did Franklin's offenses do at Kansas St, Maryland, and Vanderbilt that should make us get excited?

So the guy can recruit? Are we supposed to care? Some schools recruit to themselves and you don't need a great recruiter. We just got rid of a great recruiter with questionable X and O history as an offensive coordinator. I want a guy who has proven track record of dominating his chosen side of the ball. That way that side is always taken care of. We then can hire a proven coordinator to run the other side your odds of having a complete team are much better than a coach like Mack Brown or James Franklin who need to great coordinators to succeed. Nothing in Franklin's history tells me he will take care of the offensive side of the ball at Texas. DO NOT WANT...

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should read two great coordinators instead of to...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild Turkey, you don't have to explain James Franklin to us. We've seen him up close and personal when he coached at Kansas St. He's an offensive guy who regularly turns out mediocre offenses. His defensive coordinator is the one who can coach an Vandy. What did Franklin's offenses do at Kansas St, Maryland, and Vanderbilt that should make us get excited?

So the guy can recruit? Are we supposed to care? Some schools recruit to themselves and you don't need a great recruiter. We just got rid of a great recruiter with questionable X and O history as an offensive coordinator. I want a guy who has proven track record of dominating his chosen side of the ball. That way that side is always taken care of. We then can hire a proven coordinator to run the other side your odds of having a complete team are much better than a coach like Mack Brown or James Franklin who need to great coordinators to succeed. Nothing in Franklin's history tells me he will take care of the offensive side of the ball at Texas. DO NOT WANT...

I think that is a major factor in a lot of Texas fans not wanting Franklin. He reminds a lot of us of Mack Brown. A program coach. Mack succeeded doing just that, but we have also seen the downside. Generally when you replace people you tend to over-steer to avoid the same issues.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is I don't think Franklin could hold Mack Brown's jockstrap in his prime. So we would be getting a lesser version of Mack Brown. Both are shitty coordinators and both recruit well. However, Mack had at least won at an elite level at a mid tier program like North Carolina before coming to Texas. Franklin needs to jump at the next job he gets that is a step up to continue to build his resume. You don't hire coaches at elite programs who only win 8 games. I don't care how good a job it was to get to 8 games.